Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 2:09:51 PM EDT
I was in the local sportsman's warehouse recently and noticed a ar style semiautomatic shotgun.  Didn't know that anything like that existed.  My questions is do these things work?  Don't know the brand.  I saw that on the gun, of course, but I had never heard of them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never fired one of these 12 gauge AR-15 style shotguns but I know there is one manufacturer in Turkey that are imported.   Rock Island Armory is just now releasing their version which comes with 2 five round magazines.   Personaly I think I would prefer a flat top 20 gauge AR-15 style shotgun but I can't say I'd buy one.   I'm content with my ex department Remington Sportsman 12 gauge semi auto and my 12 gauge 870 Wing Master.

Getting more than 5 round capacity in an AR-15 style shotgun is going to be bulky.  I'd just as soon use my Remington semi auto with side saddle shell carrier.   I don't know if the three gun matches brought about a more practical faster reloading shotgun.   I know most shotguns will not hold up to continued heavy use.   I'll be curious how these new semi auto 12 gauge AR-12 guns hold up.

One possible reason for the intoduction of the AR-15 style shotgun might be in part because of the sales generated by the  Kalashnikov AK-12 mag fed shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The LGS I help at gun shows has the RIA AR shotties. I've sold several but have not talked to the owners since they bought them. The RIA ones seem to be decently made, IMO.

I would think the recoil is greatly reduced but no clue where it compares to (say) my Remington 1187 Police.

A 7 or 8rd mag would make it ideal for 3 Gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
They look interesting, I'll wait a year for the beta testers to give a report before I'd buy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Although more of an AK, you might consider checking out the Saiga. IZHMASH Saiga-12 mods
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Man I forgot all about that Saiga forum...
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
They are the cat's meow for heli-hog hunting, especially for first timers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
This is "AR-style" (operating system has nothing from AR) Typhoon F12 shotgun, that my sponsor provided for me. It is very flat and fast shooting shotgun. Here with 10rd mag. I'm sure those shotguns will sooner than later reach US shores.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
There is also Genesis, which is compatible with DPMS AR-10 style lowers
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is "AR-style" (operating system has nothing from AR) Typhoon F12 shotgun, that my sponsor provided for me. It is very flat and fast shooting shotgun. Here with 10rd mag. I'm sure those shotguns will sooner than later reach US shores.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/863/39882732240_eae5b28835_b.jpg
View Quote
Who is the manufacturer on that shotgun?
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Who is the manufacturer on that shotgun?
View Quote
Typhoon Defence from Turkey http://www.typhoondefence.com/typhoon-f12

On their webpage you can see old variants. My variant is called Puma with basic handguard. Current variants you can see on Polish distributor page here: https://omegamilitary.pl/
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Typhoon 12

And

RIA VR-80

These two seem to be the best ones out there so far for the price (one is around 600 and the other 800 ish).

Atlantic sells the Typhoon and there are a bunch that sell the RIA.

There is a thread for each shotgun in the shotgun forum on this site.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a thread for each shotgun in the shotgun forum on this site.
View Quote
Thanks. I spammed F12 thread ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top