Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2023 11:58:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21]
Sorry guys. Have a simple question but cant seem to find a definitive answer for it. I Have a registered Bushmaster SBR that I purchase about 10 yrs ago. It has an 11 inch barrel. Say I want to put a 10.5 or 7.5 inch barrel on it,do I need to send any paperwork in to BATF stating that I am making a change?  Thank you
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You can swap the uppers. Just so at the end of the day you put the upper it was registered with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rgrprib:
You can swap the uppers. Just so at the end of the day you put the upper it was registered with.
View Quote

At the end of the day? There's no requirement to return it to the original configuration.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Swap uppers as you see fit.  If you intend to PERMANENTLY change the barrel length, send a simple note to ATF reflecting the barrel length change.

18Z50
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Swap uppers as you see fit.  If you intend to PERMANENTLY change the barrel length, send a simple note to ATF reflecting the barrel length change.

18Z50
View Quote

Pretty sure that's not a requirement either just a request from them. There's no law that I am aware of that requires it. It really comes down to permanent which on an AR seems like never when it comes to uppers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The only requirement is that it is built to the configuration that it was listed on the form. After that no one gives a rats fart as to the length.

There is no requirement to return it original configuration or to notify of any changes. Unless you want to permanently remove it from the registry.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes ,It will ALWAYS be an SBR. Thanks to all for your help
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swOHmatt] [#9]
Originally Posted By rhandle:
View Quote

No, that isn’t correct.  It is an SBR when it has a barrel length less than 16 inches or an overall length less than 26 inches.  Put on an upper with a barrel 16 inches or greater and it is not an SBR.  You can even sell it then without advising ATF of the change.  Unlike the “once a machinegun always a machinegun” ATF rule, it is an SBR only when configured as an SBR.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Deregistering-a-SBR-lower/17-522768/
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Incorrect. You have no obligation to either maintain the length on the Form 1 or notify ATF of any barrel length changes.

Technically, you do have an obligation to initially “make” it as indicated on the F1
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By swOHmatt:
Put on an upper with a barrel 16 inches or greater and it is not an SBR.  You can even sell it then without advising ATF of the change.
View Quote

Not an issue for the OP...just creates an issue for the buyer when they decide to Form 1 it and it's still in the registry under the OP's info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#12]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Incorrect. You have no obligation to either maintain the length on the Form 1 or notify ATF of any barrel length changes.

Technically, you do have an obligation to initially “make” it as indicated on the F1
View Quote

This. Nowhere do you need to notify of changes.

I have an 8", F1 was with a 10.3".

It's fine. And legal.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By swOHmatt:

No, that isn’t correct.  It is an SBR when it has a barrel length less than 16 inches or an overall length less than 26 inches.  Put on an upper with a barrel 16 inches or greater and it is not an SBR.  You can even sell it then without advising ATF of the change.  Unlike the “once a machinegun always a machinegun” ATF rule, it is an SBR only when configured as an SBR.
View Quote

I think his point was he was not going to ever do that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

At the end of the day? There's no requirement to return it to the original configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

This is the correct answer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top