BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Just because I haven’t seen it said yet,

DO NOT TRY TO USE THAT BARREL AGAIN EITHER Unless you’re planning on replacing the extension or relegating it to a .22lr conversion.

Stating the obvious here,  but the bolt and extension lock together to contain the chamber pressure when you fire a round. If the bolt isn’t safe to use because of a kaboom, the extension isn’t either.

Fortunately bolts and barrels are fairly inexpensive these days, but your life, limbs, and eyesight are worth more than those parts even if they were expensive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
So I shouldn't shoot the cheap bbl I got from a kaboom?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
When in the Air Force, brother-in-law had a round go off before the bolt was fully in battery on an M-16. Was wearing shooting glasses; but now has eye shadow below his right eye where burnt powder was forced into his skin. So, yeah they can fire out of battery. A dirty floating firing pin could cause something like this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
So I figured the best way to prevent this in the future is to put all my rounds into stripper clips.  A cheap and effective solution.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeup, there it is.  We had a .300 BO kaboom thread just last week in fact, complete with video; and quite similar to OP's story.  good luck getting that bullet out.  Easiest way to test is to see how far the cleaning rod goes down one end, and how far down the other.  If the difference in length is quite a bit longer than a typical 223 bullet...

https://www.weapon-blog.com/wp-content/uplods/2014/03/300-aac-blackout-5.56-rifle.jpg
View Quote
Now that is a cool paper weight lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense.  I did some quick reading and some threads said it's nearly if not completely impossible to fire an AR out of battery.  So there goes that theory...
View Quote
Mine wouldn't fire with a round just 0.020 over length.  Ogive hit the rifling.  Click.  I did it three different times.  It was almost fully in battery, missed it by that much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
as a side note, I am very very surprised that anyone ever designed an AR15 cartridge like 300BO that could also fit into a 5.56mm chamber.  The potential for kabooms like this is just way too high.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
as a side note, I am very very surprised that anyone ever designed an AR15 cartridge like 300BO that could also fit into a 5.56mm chamber.  The potential for kabooms like this is just way too high.
View Quote
It was intentionally designed NOT to fit in a 5.56x45mm chamber.  But ARs have H2 buffers and the Forward Assist to overcome pesky factory crimps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I was at the local range one day.. Found a bunch of 41 Mag, 44Mag and 45LC brass on/near one bench.  One of the .44 was missinng 3/4 of the sides and the base was bulged split and the primer missing. There was some blood, dried on the bench. I  figure the shooter put a 44 Mag in his 45LC & shot it.
Lesson for all do not have ammo on the bench that is not the caliber you are shooting,  PERIOD
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What did the other fired cases look like?

Your powder charge is mild, 24.5 to 25.0 grains of H335 is commonly used with 55 grain bullets without problems.

Your powder measure was thoroughly cleaned of all previous powders prior to starting your reloading session? A small amount of pistol powder, left in the measure, will blow up any rifle.

Did your ammo ever get stuck in the chamber if you didn't fire it, forcing you to mortar the rifle to extract a round? Excessive amunition height (headspace) may have allowed the rifle to fire with the bolt not completely closed.

Your brass looks like an extreme overcharge or the wrong powder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
And in this thread, we see who resurrects a thread without reading like... any of it!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Start painting your mag basses....

Or do what i do....

Metal mags = 5.56

Plastic mags = 300 blk out
View Quote
I always wrap my 300 Blackout firearms and magazines with red duct tape.  The Duct tape all the way around the bottom of the magazine and right behind the charging handle on my rifle/pistol
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]
.300 Blackout will chamber in a 5.56mm if the bolt gets a running start at it.

Lots of Kabooms lately exactly because of this. The .30 caliber bullet gets forced inside the case further. If the bolt closes completely you are screwed.

I think you'll discover a 2" long .224" bullet stuck in the barrel. .30 cal. get really long when squished that small.

Your very fortunate you didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here is another shot of the bolt/carrier.  I think the bolt might actually be usable if I get a new extractor.

http://www.firearmtutorials.com/article-images/kaboom/AR-15-kaboom-6.jpg
View Quote
Don't even think about it. The entire upper is toast. You might salvage the gas block, flash hider, gas tube and charging handle. Everything else is a total loss.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#17]
This why my 300BO is store in locked ammo cans and is only loaded in FDE mags... scary stuff
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DUDE!   Change something.  Change a lot of somethings!  Get dedicated .300 BO mags that are visually highly different in appearance.  Get dedicated ammo boxes and ammo cans that are visually highly different in appearance.

Or get rid of .300 BO entirely, unless you're running suppressed; go with 6.5 Grendle or something else that won't fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have a winner...
1. You CAN chamber a 300 BLKOUT round and fire in 5.56.  I had this happen a few times over the years but the it caused some type of malfunction like a feeding error or bolt was out of battery.
DUDE!   Change something.  Change a lot of somethings!  Get dedicated .300 BO mags that are visually highly different in appearance.  Get dedicated ammo boxes and ammo cans that are visually highly different in appearance.

Or get rid of .300 BO entirely, unless you're running suppressed; go with 6.5 Grendle or something else that won't fit.
In his noveske rifle...  More money than brains.  When the universe gives you multiple warnings,  you should probably listen to them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here is another shot of the bolt/carrier.  I think the bolt might actually be usable if I get a new extractor.

http://www.firearmtutorials.com/article-images/kaboom/AR-15-kaboom-6.jpg
View Quote
Very interesting photo showing the failure point in the AR due to an over pressure event with a chambered round and locked bolt.

I would personally cast the carrier, any fragments and the bolt into a translucent resin and keep it on my desk.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#20]
All my .300blk mags are Pmags in FDE. That's ALL they are used for. Black Pmags are .223/5.56.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

then its design sucks.
View Quote
Made up some 300 BO dummies, exactly matched to factory specs.
Tried them in 30 assorted ARs at an interested local shop.
Many makers, all prices, .223, 5.56, Wylde chamberings.
Twentytwo  of them wouldn't chamber at all.
five were just short of chambering; a few FA taps closed three of them.
3 chambered easily, even closing the bolt slowly by hand.

1 in 10 odds.

My 300 BO's and ammo are locked up separately, and only go out when no 5.56 rifles are going.
Have suppressed one bolt gun that will regularly ring a 3" plate at 200 yards, so hate to part with them.
(195 gr ELD-M, CFE BLK, loaded to stay subsonic out of a 16").  The ding seems nearly as loud as the shot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top