Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2019 2:56:42 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with this system ?

ANVRS MK3 - Active Night Vision Recording System
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Works good. For the price you can’t beat it. You can’t remove the date stamp. The moon clip rotates but all of the different ones from what I can tell have similar issues. It turns on/off with just a switch, easy to use. If you have binos it won’t bother you as much. If a single, it may get distracting.

Don’t expect super duper HD quality video but it does the job. I won’t be selling mine anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks .
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Works good. For the price you can’t beat it. You can’t remove the date stamp. The moon clip rotates but all of the different ones from what I can tell have similar issues. It turns on/off with just a switch, easy to use. If you have binos it won’t bother you as much. If a single, it may get distracting.

Don’t expect super duper HD quality video but it does the job. I won’t be selling mine anytime soon.
View Quote
Do you think this would fit over an ether eyepiece?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you think this would fit over an ether eyepiece?
View Quote
Not sure. It clamps between the ring. Loosen the ring, slip it in, and tighten down. On their website they list all of the devices/optics. It looks 3D printed so he can probably make a custom one he’d just need the specs. You’ll need a micrometer for the best results
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered in a day or two ago. Can’t wait!
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ordered in a day or two ago. Can’t wait!
View Quote
These types of cameras are the easiest way to get video while you’re doing stuff. One of these days I’ll have to try the BCO. I just don’t want to spring for it if it’s the same quality. If it’s better I’d do it.

If anyone’s run both, plz let a ninja know how they compare
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh cool I'm in for one also. I wonder how much better the BCO ons is exactly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ordered in a day or two ago. Can't wait!
View Quote
Really interested to hear how it runs. I am thoroughly not impressed with the LPMR
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Really interested to hear how it runs. I am thoroughly not impressed with the LPMR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered in a day or two ago. Can't wait!
I’ve heard similar and for 1/4 the cost I figure if I’m unimpressed then I’m not out NEARLY the same $$
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to give it a go. Hopefully I can figure out a way to use it on my Thermal scope also. It looks to be much easier to use than what I have now for it. It would get rid of the wires running from the scope to the mini dvr in my coat pocket.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going to give it a go. Hopefully I can figure out a way to use it on my Thermal scope also. It looks to be much easier to use than what I have now for it. It would get rid of the wires running from the scope to the mini dvr in my coat pocket.

Thanks again.
View Quote
If it’s a -14 eyepiece you’ll be g2g
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#12]

For $100 I am impressed enough.

I'll eventually try the BCO one out, but I'm not in a hurry to dump $500 or whatever on the full kit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Well hell, I just ordered one. I am too frustrated with the LPMR
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
What’s wrong with it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Can either this or the LPMR record at 60fps at a lower resolution instead of 1080p and 30fps? I tend to prefer smoother video even if the resolution is a bit less.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with this system ?
View Quote
You mean a thread like this?  https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Unobtanium-Gear-ANVRS-MK3/18-498765/

I do wish the archive feature was not so restrictive.  It is ridiculous that a discussion in May 2019 cannot be continued in July 2019.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's wrong with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with it?
It won't stay put on the PVS14 eye ring, there just isn't enough tension on it and there is no clamping mechanism to increase tension. I tried shimming with electrical tape and considered using glue, but it won't stay seated properly. On the BNVD-ULs it can't mount at the 12 o'clock position because the body of the LPMR hits the BNVD-UL, and at the 6 it either runs into my nose or pops off with the slightest touch. Same for the PVS14, it won't stay seated and basically spins freely. I don't know if I have a bad one or what but it's really pissed me off. Unusable is putting it mildly
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It won't stay put on the PVS14 eye ring, there just isn't enough tension on it and there is no clamping mechanism to increase tension. I tried shimming with electrical tape and considered using glue, but it won't stay seated properly. On the BNVD-ULs it can't mount at the 12 o'clock position because the body of the LPMR hits the BNVD-UL, and at the 6 it either runs into my nose or pops off with the slightest touch. Same for the PVS14, it won't stay seated and basically spins freely. I don't know if I have a bad one or what but it's really pissed me off. Unusable is putting it mildly
View Quote
Well, good news and bad news. The ANVRS will spin also but you can get it clamped between the eye ring. If you touch it just right it’ll move. You can use a small rubber band to keep it pretty set. The ribbon is long enough to reach the helmet. You might need to add some Velcro.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, good news and bad news. The ANVRS will spin also but you can get it clamped between the eye ring. If you touch it just right it’ll move. You can use a small rubber band to keep it pretty set. The ribbon is long enough to reach the helmet. You might need to add some Velcro.
View Quote
Even better news.  The ANVRS kits now ship with a rigger band (read: tactically black rubber band that's appropriately sized) that keeps the ring firmly in place.  I ran mine all night long without it budging once off my -14, and I was popping, locking, and dropping all over the place.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried (or considered) drilling and threading the part that snaps into the ocular ring to accept a set screw?

I don’t have mine yet, so I’m not even sure it’s possible...
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried (or considered) drilling and threading the part that snaps into the ocular ring to accept a set screw?

View Quote
Totally unnecessary IMO.  The rigger band solves the spinning problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Even better news.  The ANVRS kits now ship with a rigger band (read: tactically black rubber band that's appropriately sized) that keeps the ring firmly in place.  I ran mine all night long without it budging once off my -14, and I was popping, locking, and dropping all over the place.
View Quote
I’m assuming he’s a lurker...That’s great to listen to users and take that initiative vs saying it’s good enough get your own
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great news!
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtFpVdAYR-w

I'll eventually try the BCO one out, but I'm not in a hurry to dump $500 or whatever on the full kit.
View Quote
Good review. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtFpVdAYR-w

View Quote
BTW, the owner of the company said the shadowing at the top/bottom of the image (whichever side is opposite of clock) could be mitigated by repositioning the camera slightly higher.  It's just on there with double-sided tape he said.  I'm a little leery to attempt this since (A) it works ok as-is, (2) I'm realllll good at breaking stuff, and (D) these units have no warranty of any kind, but it does bother me not having a fully-circular image on film.

UNV 940 IR lights Unobtanium ANVRS MK3
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

BTW, the owner of the company said the shadowing at the top/bottom of the image (whichever side is opposite of clock) could be mitigated by repositioning the camera slightly higher.  It's just on there with double-sided tape he said.  I'm a little leery to attempt this since (A) it works ok as-is, (2) I'm realllll good at breaking stuff, and (D) these units have no warranty of any kind, but it does bother me not having a fully-circular image on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_SHBVciVU
View Quote
Good to know. Funny you bring that up, last weekend I was going to pull it apart to do the same thing but assumed it was glued. I was going to use some little tweezers I have for working on my drone
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine is one the way

I'm stoked as hell to be able to get into NV recording...hope this thing works as it should. I like the ribbon cable design and being able to velcro it to the helmet. Smart move on the designers part - I wish I would have seen this 4 months ago before I went overseas
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's another short clip you can check out. I have had it glitch a couple of times where the video was sped up. Have you had that happen @ThisWildAdventure ?

Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Wondering if there's a possible way to remove the timestamp. Hopefully you can plug in the device and see what kind of SDK in there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's another short clip you can check out. I have had it glitch a couple of times where the video was sped up. Have you had that happen @ThisWildAdventure ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzNwF_Fw2A
View Quote
What were the lighting conditions in your video? Full moon? No moon?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's definitely a strong moon. You can see it from the shadows and the how the road lights up
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was about a week or so ago, I think it was about 3/4 moon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Here’s no moon and cloud cover. It was dark

Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
FWIW, the ANVRS maker started of by selling just the 3D printed ring with eBay cameras (I originally found him from some airsoft sites) for $55.

I ended up getting 2 types of rings, one size had a larger setback for those running with filters/shields. At the time he mentioned he was trying to get a consistent camera supplier and I have tried several ebay cameras since..all with the same fidelity and most with the same annoying time stamp probably all the same supplier -- I bet it's the same camera just different build / ribbon / battery quality.

example (I've tried so many!)
https://www.ebay.com/p/HD-1080p-DIY-Module-Spy-Hidden-Camera-Video-DV-DVR-Motion-Remote-Control/6021012175?iid=173478562893

@TX-Zen - I've experienced enough of the same issues as @will-1 to look in to considering the BCO LPMR but they would be going on my BNVD-ULs and I didn't even thing of the body bulk until you brought it up.

I can get pics up when I'm home of my current setup and the rings I bought back from who is now Unobtanium Gear from late 2018.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wondering if there's a possible way to remove the timestamp. Hopefully you can plug in the device and see what kind of SDK in there.
View Quote
The owner of the company told me the date/time can be changed, but the actual timestamp cannot be removed. I'd love to have it gone if you can figure it out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine came in today and is charging now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mine came in today and is charging now.
View Quote
Ugh, I don’t have a 32 G SD card. Only have a 64.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The owner of the company told me the date/time can be changed, but the actual timestamp cannot be removed. I'd love to have it gone if you can figure it out.
View Quote
I'll play around with it once I order one. I know on one of the video they said that they had hooked it up via usb and that it didn't detect anything. Wondering if it's just hidden.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here’s no moon and cloud cover. It was dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYHJytjUmMc
View Quote
Thanks for posting. For a 100 bucks this looks like a decent recording option to supplement my REAP-IR and MDVR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ugh, I don’t have a 32 G SD card. Only have a 64.
View Quote
Lol, I hate it when that kind of shit happens
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Just grabbed an SD scare for cheap from Best Buy..

I’ll try to get out and play tonight.

Edit:
Ok, just got back from a short walk down the golf course. No moon, high humidity. Saw a nice shooting star (camera might not have been properly seated, so I might have missed it) and a skunk. Also pretty sure the NODs allow me to see the core of Andromeda... possibly might have been seeing the Milky Way, but not sure how much is showing up on the camera.. Pretty cool stuff.

I’m just 30 miles north of Houston, so we ain’t exactly dark sky here. I didn’t play with LAMs or guns, because I was on a residential golf course. I have a Perst4P (Perst4 in a form factor designed for pistols) that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’ll take it out one day this week to see what it can do. I’ll try to get some videos up tomorrow.

A couple quick notes, the ring doesn’t seat very well and if you bump it, it WILL jump out, rubber band be damned. The band keeps the ring from turning pretty well. So, if you can... get it set up in white light before getting into the field. Your eye quickly learns to ignore the camera holder and it becomes a very minor annoyance. I’ll have to try it top down next time to see if that reduces the annoyance. I need to figure out a way to better manage the camera cable. It kept bumping my right eyelash and annoying me.

Off to bed so I can be a functional human tomorrow!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, I was able to look at some of the video today. Getting the camera properly aligned is CRUCIAL to making this system work.

much of my video did NOT have the camera correctly aligned (I missed the shooting star mentioned above ), so its mostly useless.

I was able to see a skunk on my walk and get decent video of him digging on the golf course.

Another issue is that the camera doesn't resolve what I'm seeing very well. There is a definite difference in images naked eye through the tube vs what the camera sees. I'll have to play around with the mount and the eyepiece rings to see if I can get it to stay in better (maybe back the rings out some, place the camera, and reseat?).

In short, I'll just need experience with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, I was able to look at some of the video today. Getting the camera properly aligned is CRUCIAL to making this system work.

much of my video did NOT have the camera correctly aligned (I missed the shooting star mentioned above ), so its mostly useless.

I was able to see a skunk on my walk and get decent video of him digging on the golf course.

Another issue is that the camera doesn't resolve what I'm seeing very well. There is a definite difference in images naked eye through the tube vs what the camera sees. I'll have to play around with the mount and the eyepiece rings to see if I can get it to stay in better (maybe back the rings out some, place the camera, and reseat?).

In short, I'll just need experience with it.
View Quote
If you loosen the ring to almost off, stick the ANVRS in, then tighten down it helps a little. I ended up adjusting the camera in the holder. If you look at it, it might be angled slightly. Mine was. I straightened it out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Another issue is that the camera doesn't resolve what I'm seeing very well. There is a definite difference in images naked eye through the tube vs what the camera sees.
View Quote
I feel you.

The ANVRS camera sucks, from a strictly picture-quality perspective.  It has poor dynamic range and a bad signal to noise ratio, for starters.  If there was a better $100 option, we'd all be using it.  There isn't.  Even the $400 LPMR camera quality sucks.  Oh well.  It's better than nothing.

For first-person viewing, the ANVRS is the ticket.  When I have time, or if the situation dictates it, I take the NV off my face and put it on a tripod and get much better 4K video with my iPhone.  Horses for courses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I feel you.

The ANVRS camera sucks, from a strictly picture-quality perspective.  It has poor dynamic range, a bad signal to noise ratio. for starters.  If there was a better $100 option, we'd all be using it.  There isn't.  Even the $400 LPMR camera quality sucks.  Oh well.  It's better than nothing.

For first-person viewing, the ANVRS is the ticket.  When I have time, or if the situation dictates it, I take the NV off my face and put it on a tripod and get much better 4K video with my iPhone.  Horses for courses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another issue is that the camera doesn't resolve what I'm seeing very well. There is a definite difference in images naked eye through the tube vs what the camera sees.
I feel you.

The ANVRS camera sucks, from a strictly picture-quality perspective.  It has poor dynamic range, a bad signal to noise ratio. for starters.  If there was a better $100 option, we'd all be using it.  There isn't.  Even the $400 LPMR camera quality sucks.  Oh well.  It's better than nothing.

100% correct. That’s exactly what I bought this and not the LPMR. No way I’m trying to fund the Wilcox version... or even the MOHOC IR (which isn’t through the lens anyways).
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Putting the stalk on a fat boar using the ANVRS.

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#48]
As an experiment I removed the ANVRS camera from the ring and put it in a FPRS eyepiece tube I had laying around. It’s bulkier but holds the camera center and straight. It eliminates the partial video view from the ANVRS. It definitely won’t spin like the ring does but you got to be careful putting it on so you don’t change your diopter setting. If someone has an out of commission FPRS this is a good option to try out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Part of the reason for the somewhat "wide" tolerances on the LPMR clamp is the wide range of accessory adapter rings available out there--not everyone may realize, but there are several different variants out there made by several different OEMs, all of which have slight differences, including some made of aluminum, some from Delrin, some from other, cheaper polymers. Consequently, it is possible for the LPMR to "show up" loose on a particular accessory adapter, new out of the box. That being said, they can be tightened to fit most, if not all lock rings out there with a decent amount of tension.
View Quote
Quoted:
As an experiment I removed the ANVRS camera from the ring and put it in a FPRS eyepiece tube I had laying around.
View Quote
Can you both post some pics? Augee have you tried out the ANVRS?

Here's the ANVRS:
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you both post some pics? Augee have you tried out the ANVRS?

Here's the ANVRS:
https://i.imgur.com/QChJEatl.jpg
View Quote
Here ya go brother

The tube/camera holder locates the camera in the center as you can see. I used the FPRS a shit ton but the camera controller/battery died and the 2nd one melted while being charged. This part is built tough however and user serviceable. I really liked videoing with the FPRS. Not sure what happened to these. Combining the easy to use camera control with this eyepiece tube doohickey is a pretty good match.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top