Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2020 11:59:09 PM EDT
So not to cause any issues with the other thread..here is a simple cheap option for MOLLE garand 2-clip pouches.   Get the USGI MOLLE 40mm HE grenade pouches NOT the Pyrotechnic ones...they are too long.

I thought this might be a less labor intensive option..

When inserted in fully into the pocket they go to deep and are very difficult to withdraw
As shown below...

So by inserting them to the edge of the clip it keeps the height correct that the flap securely holds them in place (which works for 7.62 OR .30-06) and when you pop the snap you can easily remove the clip from the pouch.

You can even remove them easily with gloves on!

Like this..
https://i.imgur.com/fAzi8oy.mp4
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Put a block of plastic in the bottom of the pouch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
For what purpose?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Not MOLLE, but these are made for them.

https://www.atthefront.com/product-p/usgpm1r.htm

There’s also this if you’re looking to spend some coin.

https://www.atthefront.com/M1923-Cartridge-Belt-p/usgbcb.htm
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For what purpose?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For what purpose?
To stop the en bloc from going so deep. A piece of wood would work just fine also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To stop the en bloc from going so deep. A piece of wood would work just fine also.
View Quote
The pocket is tight enough to hold them up.  You have to work to get them to seat to the bottom of the pouch....they won't"accidentally" fall to the bottom.

The other pouches you linked are vintage and not modern MOLLE style pouches.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Read "All the Way to Berlin" LTC James Megellas, he used an over the shoulder bag, with his loaded clips loose inside. He found he could reload quicker. He did not use a clip pouch. I prefer his solution. Defer to his experience, he was there did that and has the valour decorations to prove it. Butt pack and shoulder strap works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Read "All the Way to Berlin" LTC James Megellas, he used an over the shoulder bag, with his loaded clips loose inside. He found he could reload quicker. He did not use a clip pouch. I prefer his solution. Defer to his experience, he was there did that and has the valour decorations to prove it. Butt pack and shoulder strap works just fine.
View Quote
Yep....

Doesn't fit on a MOLLE belt however
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep....

No but it fits over your shoulder, so you don't need the MOLLE belt...… even cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
A molle frag grenade pouch holds two clips very nicely.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the second clip falls out of it if you don't close it
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
While Jeremy's suggested 40mm HE grenade pouch is an interesting expedient (with or without a wood/plastic block underneath the clip to facilitate easier retrievabilty), anyone interested in Garand clip pouches/holders might want to visit Olongapo Outfitters' site.

O.O. makes M1-specific clip pouches and related carry gear, not pouches or carry gear you're trying to re-purpose from the geometry of a different item it was designed around.

The O.O. M1 clip pouches are available both as Molle attachable or standard belt attachable. He also makes an M1 buttstock pouch that holds 2 clips.

The owner, Jerry, is a vet and a solid dude to deal with. Highly recommend.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?dispatch=products.search&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=Garand
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While Jeremy's suggested 40mm HE grenade pouch is an interesting expedient (with or without a wood/plastic block underneath the clip to facilitate easier retrievabilty), anyone interested in Garand clip pouches/holders might want to visit Olongapo Outfitters' site.

O.O. makes M1-specific clip pouches and related carry gear, not pouches or carry gear you're trying to re-purpose from the geometry of a different item it was designed around.

The O.O. M1 clip pouches are available both as Molle attachable or standard belt attachable. He also makes an M1 buttstock pouch that holds 2 clips.

The owner, Jerry, is a vet and a solid dude to deal with. Highly recommend.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?dispatch=products.search&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=Garand
View Quote
Olongapo makes good kit, no argument about that.  Fine stuff.

My original post on this topic was involved with how to re-purpose formerly useless GI frag pouches, and maybe saving users some money.  Never intended as a slight to Olongapo, for sure.

Most folks have probably seen my original thread about this topic, in this forum. I most definitely suggest users to try out both alternatives, as long as one wears the pouches in the appropriate positions on their intended PALS platform, and allows some "walking-around" time., to let things "settle-down".  Test them using winter gloves, and report back on their experiences.

Note that a sufficient amount/duration of "ground-pounding" will serve to drive the clips further into the very tight 40 mm Grenade pouches.  I don't think this at all helpful as regards clip extraction.  The user will need at least about 1/2" of the clip exposed for easy cold-weather glove extraction. Try it and see for yourself.  BTDT.

I say all this meaning no disrespect to OP.

When further user input is received, then we will all be better informed, and from a wider user-base.

The more pracrtical alternatives for this application, the better.  The cheaper they are, likewise the better.

YOU be the judge, and we will all benefit from the widest possible response.  Please report back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then snap it back closed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah if you don't mind fumbling with a snap while wearing gloves etc.  It works but it slows you down.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah if you don't mind fumbling with a snap while wearing gloves etc.  It works but it slows you down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So basically your idea is workable as long as you aren't using gloves?
Maybe that's why Megellas used a haversack over the shoulder...…..
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So basically your idea is workable as long as you aren't using gloves?
Maybe that's why Megellas used a haversack over the shoulder.....
View Quote
I never said that..

It works fine with gloves...did you not see the video?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]
About shutting the pouches, you said this....".....Yeah if you don't mind fumbling with a snap while wearing gloves etc. It works but it slows you down...…"
So it's a pain to use with gloves.........…

If I need a garand pouch, I'll just buy this:

https://olongapooutfitters.com/equipment-and-gear/garand-belt-pouch/

It is designed for them, works with gloves and is a lot cleaner...…

Or the Haversack would work too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
About shutting the pouches, you said this....".....Yeah if you don't mind fumbling with a snap while wearing gloves etc. It works but it slows you down..."
So it's a pain to use with gloves.........

If I need a garand pouch, I'll just buy this:

https://olongapooutfitters.com/equipment-and-gear/garand-belt-pouch/

It is designed for them, works with gloves and is a lot cleaner...

Or the Haversack would work too.
View Quote
That was in reference to YOUR comment about the "grenade" pouch..NOT the 40mm pouch I posted about....
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#19]
After having done some further experimentation, I think Jeremy's 40mm Pouch idea will work, albeit with an essential add-on.

It so happens I have a dozen of these pouches in UCP, to use for dyeing experiments.   I tried out both single and double 40mm pouches with 8-rd clips of 7.62 NATO ammo, which are about 1/4" shorter than /30-'06 ammo.  The clips were a fairly tight fit, but not so tight on most (90%) of the pouches to make extraction unduly difficult, as long as the upper edge of the clip extends at least 1/2" above the pocket's upper edge.  Some 40mm grenade pouch pockets (10%) were so tight on insertion that they ought not be considered.  In that light, I suggest buying a few more than you think you will actually need.

After inserting the clips, and snapping the flaps, I shook the upright pouch up and down for a few seconds, to replicate the typical movements of the unit when the user was running/jumping/walking.  Sure enough, the entire en bloc clip slipped way down into the pouch, rendering extraction very difficult with two ungloved hands, and likely impossible with a single, gloved hand.

If one chooses to run the pouch inverted (mouth DOWN), then there is not likely to be a problem, as gravity will prevent the clip from inserting itself too far into the pouch.  In this case, I suggest sewing-up the open (original bottom) of the pouch to prevent dirt/mud/snow/rain ingress at that point.  Perhaps some hot glue will do.  The OEM snap should be plenty secure, even in inverted pouch position.  The tricky part of the inverted pouch orientation is making sure that the user, using only ONE, GLOVED hand, can "catch" the clip after the user's same hand has un-snapped the flap of the pouch.  Even though the pouch is fairly tight, it's possible for the clip to fall free on its' own when the inverted pouch is un-snapped.  Experiment.

If one chooses to run the pouch in its' original orientation (mouth UP), then some way needs to be made to prevent the clip from slipping down into the pouch.  Unfortunately, there is no getting around this issue.

For this (upright) 40mm proposal to work properly, the user will need to make some sort of insert for the pouch that prevents the en bloc clip from slipping down into the pouch, and which ensures that at least 1/2" of the clip remains available for grasping with a glove hand.  The typical GI 40mm pouch, fortunately, has some sewing/stitching that partially close the two sides of the bottom of the pouch.  This side/bottom stitching ought to be enough to prevent such a block from falling out, as long as the user constructs the block properly.

Closed-cell foam or some inverted "U"s or "V"s of bent thermoplastic should do the job.  Ensure that the block, however constructed, will allow proper drainage of the pouch.  Also ensure the block material has no sharp edges, which could cut/abrade the material of the pouch.

So, congrats to Jeremy for devising yet another alternative for M1 Garand clips!    We all benefit when people do this.  This inventiveness allows use of formerly semi-useless, inexpensive GI surplus gear.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your suggestion has been made by others, as well as used in the past.  A modern-day equivalent to the Shoulder Bag used by Megellas (and others) might be something like this: https://atstacticalgear.com/100rd-7-62-240-pouch/.

If desired to be used as a shoulder bag, then the user can attach two 1" "D-rings" at the top of the PALS straps, and attach suitable shoulder strap.  In like manner, a waist belt can be attached via identical "D-rings"  laced-in to the PALS webbing, but lower down.  Or maybe use the same "D-rings" as used for the shoulder strap.

Note that the top of the pouch has a small flap which can be folded-back and secured.  Doing so reveals a slit in the top lid of the pouch, lined with elastic material, which serves to retain the contents, and which also serves to protect against mud/snow/dirt, although such webbing is susceptible to becoming wet, and freezing.
In such case, then use the main flap.  In practice, when the user is wearing heavy winter gloves/mittens, then insertion of the gloved/mittened hand past the elastic might be problematic.  Again, use the main flap.

Such pouches can also be used, to good effect, by shotgunners, although segregating different types of shells within the pouch is very difficult, nigh on to impossible.

@boltedsafe

Submitted for consideration.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
After having done some further experimentation, I think Jeremy's 40mm Pouch idea will work, albeit with an essential add-on.

It so happens I have a dozen of these pouches in UCP, to use for dyeing experiments.   I tried out both single and double 40mm pouches with 8-rd clips of 7.62 NATO ammo, which are about 1/4" shorter than /30-'06 ammo.  The clips were a fairly tight fit, but not so tight on most (90%) of the pouches to make extraction unduly difficult, as long as the upper edge of the clip extends at least 1/2" above the pocket's upper edge.  Some 40mm grenade pouch pockets (10%) were so tight on insertion that they ought not be considered.  In that light, I suggest buying a few more than you think you will actually need.

After inserting the clips, and snapping the flaps, I shook the upright pouch up and down for a few seconds, to replicate the typical movements of the unit when the user was running/jumping/walking.  Sure enough, the entire en bloc clip slipped way down into the pouch, rendering extraction very difficult with two ungloved hands, and likely impossible with a single, gloved hand.

If one chooses to run the pouch inverted (mouth DOWN), then there is not likely to be a problem, as gravity will prevent the clip from inserting itself too far into the pouch.  In this case, I suggest sewing-up the open (original bottom) of the pouch to prevent dirt/mud/snow/rain ingress at that point.  Perhaps some hot glue will do.  The OEM snap should be plenty secure, even in inverted pouch position.  The tricky part of the inverted pouch orientation is making sure that the user, using only ONE, GLOVED hand, can "catch" the clip after the user's same hand has un-snapped the flap of the pouch.  Even though the pouch is fairly tight, it's possible for the clip to fall free on its' own when the inverted pouch is un-snapped.  Experiment.

If one chooses to run the pouch in its' original orientation (mouth UP), then some way needs to be made to prevent the clip from slipping down into the pouch.  Unfortunately, there is no getting around this issue.

For this (upright) 40mm proposal to work properly, the user will need to make some sort of insert for the pouch that prevents the en bloc clip from slipping down into the pouch, and which ensures that at least 1/2" of the clip remains available for grasping with a glove hand.  The typical GI 40mm pouch, fortunately, has some sewing/stitching that partially close the two sides of the bottom of the pouch.  This side/bottom stitching ought to be enough to prevent such a block from falling out, as long as the user constructs the block properly.

Closed-cell foam or some inverted "U"s or "V"s of bent thermoplastic should do the job.  Ensure that the block, however constructed, will allow proper drainage of the pouch.  Also ensure the block material has no sharp edges, which could cut/abrade the material of the pouch.

So, congrats to Jeremy for devising yet another alternative for M1 Garand clips!    We all benefit when people do this.  This inventiveness allows use of formerly semi-useless, inexpensive GI surplus gear.  
View Quote
Clips don't slip into the pockets...they don't move at all.  None of the pouches showed any tightness that would affect withdrawing the clip...

https://imgur.com/nIs06d7
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Clips don't slip into the pockets...they don't move at all.  None of the pouches showed any tightness that would affect withdrawing the clip...

https://i.imgur.com/nIs06d7.mp4

https://imgur.com/nIs06d7
View Quote
Jeremy, I think your 40mm pouch will work all right, as long as a spacer is inserted into the bottom of the pouch to support the fully-inserted clip so that at least 1/2 " extends above the mouth of the pouch, and the clip is fully retained within the pouch.  As you depict it, the clip is partially inserted into the rather tight 40mm Grenade pouch.  This will work, BUT if, for some reason, the flap is un-snapped, the clip could be lost, since it is not "Captured" by the pouch.   Good initial  idea, but needs to have the "block" at the bottom of the pouch, lest the fully-inserted clip drop down into the pouch, and be very difficult to access.  As long as the "block" feature is added, I think your idea has great merit.  Some others might prefer the "Frag/Grenade" pouch approach, especially users of 5-rd stripper clips.  My thread on that approach is here in this forum.

It's all good.  We both of us have provided Garand owners with  choices, using inexpensive GI gear.

Insertion of loaded clips into pouches is usually less problematic than extraction.  By that I mean that the user usually inserts the clip into the pouch at leisure, even if insertion is difficult, and so I emphasize extraction over insertion.

FWIW, I have just received a sizeable load of GI Multicam 40mm Grenade pouches, for cheap, and also a used GI foam sleeping pad, which portions of such will be used to make "supports" for the clips within the 40mm pouches. And other projects.  Previously, received a similar number of GI Multicam Frag pouches.

I'll evaluate both, on the range, and report back.  Might take some time; cold here right now.

I think both approaches will work for those people willing to make the very inexpensive mods.  I suggest potential users investigate both paths, and see what works best for them.

Submitted with respect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Dudes, get your shit focused.  You're making this way too hard. It's not the secret ingredients to Chef Michael's special 'au ju sauce.'

You want to run M1 clips in pouch gear that's not modeled after outdated Korean War stuff?

Not a problem ... Go to Olongapo's Garand Gear page cited above, and get hooked up on current stuff that actually works efficiently.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dudes, get your shit focused.  You're making this way too hard. It's not the secret ingredients to Chef Michael's special 'au ju sauce.'

You want to run M1 clips in pouch gear that's not modeled after outdated Korean War stuff?

Not a problem ... Go to Olongapo's Garand Gear page cited above, and get hooked up on current stuff that actually works efficiently.
View Quote
You missed the operative word..."cheap"..
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Olongapo makes GTG gear.  Nobody in this thread has said otherwise; quite the contrary.

But Jeremy (and myself) make the essential point that the same goal can be achieved by savvy people for far less expense.

As always, YMMV.  Try the proposed alternatives, and see for yourself.

FWIW, I was just about to pull the trigger on a bunch of Olongapo Garand pouches, but something kept me back from doing so.  Slept on it, and the "Frag" pouch approach came to me.  Shortly thereafter, Jeremy's 40mm Grenade pouch appeared.  A little conflict, but that has settled-down to improvements on the original concept, I think.

So here we are, with viable, cheap, alternatives.

Read the threads, take your pick.  NO slam to Olongapo whatsoever.

Buy what you want, or mod cheap gear.  Try tnem all out, and report back.  Your call.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep....

SAW pouch.
Or a Dump pouch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SAW pouch.
Or a Dump pouch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep....

SAW pouch.
Or a Dump pouch.
Yes...those work if you want them loose in bulk...could be a lot more noise...if thats a concern.

My uses will be on my "battle belt" for 2/3 gun use mostly.  I doubt I'll need more than 6 clips.

And my M1 while nice is not on my list for "bug out" ...but IF I did...I'd just grab my cans of LC67 already in bandos and roll that way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not convinced that SAW pouches, especially those with elastic top openings, are a great alternative.  They don't carry a whole lot of clips, and reaching into them, finding a clip, and extracting it, especially with a gloved hand, is problematic.  The elastic top of the pouch hinders gloved hands.

I know that such "pouch" clip access was done in the past, but can't help but question if such users, having different alternatives, might have opted for the modern alternative.

I've followed-up on some necessary developmental work on both Jeremy's 40MM approach, and my Frag/Grenade pouch approach.

Both needed a little tweaking, but both are eminently practical.  And CHEAP.

Details forthcoming.

TTA:  Details on my final tweaking of the "Frag Pouch" approach here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Possible-Cheap-DIY-M1-Clip-Pouches-Possibly-5-rd-Stripper-Clips-Alsoandgt-andgt-andgt-ETA-IT-WORKS-andlt-andlt-/6-506260/?r=5229379&page=1&anc=5229379#i5229379

I also tweaked Jeremy's approach to suit my personal taste.  It will work , as-is, without any mods, if one partially inserts a clip, leaving one edge of the clip "hung-up" on the upper edge of the pocket material, as previously pictured by Jeremy.  I wanted something a little different.  Details available on demand.

Take your pick.  They're both viable concepts.  If one has a lot of one type or the other pouches lying around, one has options.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Got bored and put one of my battle belts together for garand use.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00819.html

These are what i use. Yes you could fit 2 clips but i agree that that is a bad idea. If youre taking one out while you're moving there is not opportunity to close it before it falls out. The clip on these allows you to sinch it tight so the one doesnt flop around.

I also use them for my savages 308 mags.

Attachment Attached File

3 on the right, 1 on the left on the above belt.

Good for cliff bars too.

If i needed more id use my USGI 10 pocket belt and bandoleers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Have somebody with a sewing machine run a stitch across the 40 mike pouch under the snap and between the molle web on the back using upholstery thread. It will limit the insert depth of the clips.

‘45 carbine pouch was designed to take both the Garand and carbine clips and mags. Years ago LBT made new production versions that were great quality, they even made a version for 30rd carbine mags...there are still tons of originals on the surplus market, even mint NOS ones.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have somebody with a sewing machine run a stitch across the 40 mike pouch under the snap and between the molle web on the back using upholstery thread. It will limit the insert depth of the clips.

'45 carbine pouch was designed to take both the Garand and carbine clips and mags. Years ago LBT made new production versions that were great quality, they even made a version for 30rd carbine mags...there are still tons of originals on the surplus market, even mint NOS ones.

https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F918fLuR3HrL._AC_SY550_.jpg&sp=f8527f95c7c392c814664c9d8633dea0&anticache=827748

https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F91VgeBb4mZL._AC_SY550_.jpg&sp=b0aab2e3d2f60826aadcf4f30b462985&anticache=599580
View Quote
I have some of the USGI pouches pictured above.  They work fine.  If one has minty units, go find what they are selling for before using them.

I did something like you propose to the bottom of my 40MM pouches,  I used a HOT nail to melt 2 small holes all the way through  the grosgrain reinforcements at the bottom of the pouch, and used some aluminum staples to close it up.  I could have used needle and stout thread to sew things together as well.  Didn't want to fully seal-up the bottom of the pouch, so I just fastened everything in the center.  This way, there's plenty of drainage, and the foam spacers I installed to prevent the fully-inserted clip from sliding down inside the pouch won't fall out the bottom.  Jeremy's original proposal uses a partially-inserted clip approach.  Try out both approaches, and decide what you prefer.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I did when shooting antique military rifle matches.  I was using a canvas gas mask pouch with a cross-shoulder strap.  The flap was down but not locked.  Nothing fell out despite jumping and haul-ass running.  Access was easy even without looking down - grab and reload.  It worked so well, I still keep the bag handy and I have something similar for my self defense shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is what I did when shooting antique military rifle matches.  I was using a canvas gas mask pouch with a cross-shoulder strap.  The flap was down but not locked.  Nothing fell out despite jumping and haul-ass running.  Access was easy even without looking down - grab and reload.  It worked so well, I still keep the bag handy and I have something similar for my self defense shotgun.
View Quote
What worked well for a person during WW II, using, probably, a  custom-made, "Rigger-made", bag/pouch, is not what we modern users have available.

Back then, there were "Riggers" that were on-hand in most units, that could make all sorts of gear, usually for free.

We modern, civilian, users have no access to such "Riggers", and so we will have to make due with modern gear.

I can only guess, but I suspect, repeat, suspect that some WW II users of the M1 Garand used the so-called "Engineer's"/Munition  Pouch/Bag.

Probably 10-12 inches deep, 6" wide, and 4"  deep.  Had a single, fully-flapped top, secured by a single strap.  Multiple securement "D"rings on the back/top.

Had many of them. Sold them off as valuable collector items, and sent them off to good homes, making money.

What we need, nowadays, is pouches and/or appropriate bags for M1 clips.  There are mfrs, such as the well-respected Olongapo outfitters, and well as other, very inexpensive alternatives, based on USGI, cheap, surplus, mentioned in this forum.

I suggest one looks into all alternatives.  We can do much better than WWII, ad hoc stuff, and no disrespect on the Heros that used such gear.  I reckon that they would have wanted better gear, if it was available.

I've finally figured-out how to carry M1 .30-'06 clips, as well as 7.62 clips.

It's all there.  Go read the thread and decide what suits YOU.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#36]
During wwIi I heard that the paratrooper us to make riggers pouches that the use to slip onto their web belts. They held four blocs instead of the 1923? Cartridge belt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What worked well for a person during WW II, using, probably, a  custom-made, "Rigger-made", bag/pouch, is not what we modern users have available.

Back then, there were "Riggers" that were on-hand in most units, that could make all sorts of gear, usually for free.

We modern, civilian, users have no access to such "Riggers", and so we will have to make due with modern gear.

I can only guess, but I suspect, repeat, suspect that some WW II users of the M1 Garand used the so-called "Engineer's"/Munition  Pouch/Bag.

Probably 10-12 inches deep, 6" wide, and 4"  deep.  Had a single, fully-flapped top, secured by a single strap.  Multiple securement "D"rings on the back/top.

Had many of them. Sold them off as valuable collector items, and sent them off to good homes, making money.

What we need, nowadays, is pouches and/or appropriate bags for M1 clips.  There are mfrs, such as the well-respected Olongapo outfitters, and well as other, very inexpensive alternatives, based on USGI, cheap, surplus, mentioned in this forum.

I suggest one looks into all alternatives.  We can do much better than WWII, ad hoc stuff, and no disrespect on the Heros that used such gear.  I reckon that they would have wanted better gear, if it was available.

I've finally figured-out how to carry M1 .30-'06 clips, as well as 7.62 clips.

It's all there.  Go read the thread and decide what suits YOU.
View Quote
There’s multiple companies selling new made reproduction rigger pouches in three sizes...What Price Glory, At The Front, etc...

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/7047-US-Paratrooper-Rigger-Pouches/

https://mantheline.com/product/m-1-rigger-pouch-lot-of-2-od7/

https://www.atthefront.com/product-p/usgpm1r.htm

You can get repops of the M1 Ammunition (engineers) bag too, US made...

https://www.atthefront.com/M1-Ammunition-Bag-p/usgpm1ab.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have some of the USGI pouches pictured above.  They work fine.  If one has minty units, go find what they are selling for before using them.

I did something like you propose to the bottom of my 40MM pouches,  I used a HOT nail to melt 2 small holes all the way through  the grosgrain reinforcements at the bottom of the pouch, and used some aluminum staples to close it up.  I could have used needle and stout thread to sew things together as well.  Didn't want to fully seal-up the bottom of the pouch, so I just fastened everything in the center.  This way, there's plenty of drainage, and the foam spacers I installed to prevent the fully-inserted clip from sliding down inside the pouch won't fall out the bottom.  Jeremy's original proposal uses a partially-inserted clip approach.  Try out both approaches, and decide what you prefer.  YMMV.
View Quote
NOS pouches go for around $24-26. There are still cases of them floating around...
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#39]
ALICE Users, your ship has come in: https://www.amazon.com/Numrich-Dual-Magazine-Pouch-Garand/dp/B07KGLS5MR/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&hvadid=77859219726893&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=m1+magazine+pouch&qid=1582574736&sr=8-12

Cotton canvas, Greek-issue, not USGI. Note the busted snap in the picture, so recommend being able to replace snaps, if required.  Alice clips can be replaced with small MALICE clips.  These were more common in the past, and price is rising.  If really faded, can be dyed, use salt with cotton gear, instead of the usual vinegar for nylon.  Do shop around.

Better pix, higher price:  https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8016

If planning to use a number of these pouches on a pistol belt, one should definitely use a more modern, GI, nylon pistol belt, and also one should consider some suitable padded nylon shoulder straps. YMMV, but the more pouches, the greater the weight.

Disclaimer, no financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
NOS pouches go for around $24-26. There are still cases of them floating around...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe buy a 10-pack for $110?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-US-Military-Issue-WW2-AVERY-M1-Carbine-M1-Garand-Magazine-Pouches-lot-of-10/352384319793?hash=item520bbe0131:g:o-AAAOSwhX5b4f50  Note that these pouches were intended for a USGI pistol belt, and WILL tend to slide around if they are not secured in some way.  Some small, thin, plastic wire-ties should do; use a modern GI nylon pistol belt.

If planning to use a number of these pouches on a pistol belt, one should definitely use a more modern, GI, nylon pistol belt, and also one should consider some suitable padded nylon shoulder straps. YMMV, but the more pouches, the greater the weight.

Personally, I'm done with canvas field gear.  It starts out heavy, gets heavier when wet, and will rot/mildew, and stink.  Very tough to de-contaminate, if that is an issue for you.  Be prepared to wash every one in Woolite, rinse very thoroughly, and dry in direct sunlight to kill off any mildew remaining, flipping over from time to time.  But, YMMV.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Maybe buy a 10-pack for $110?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-US-Military-Issue-WW2-AVERY-M1-Carbine-M1-Garand-Magazine-Pouches-lot-of-10/352384319793?hash=item520bbe0131:g:o-AAAOSwhX5b4f50  Note that these pouches were intended for a USGI pistol belt, and WILL tend to slide around if they are not secured in some way.  Some small, thin, plastic wire-ties should do; use a modern GI nylon pistol belt.

Personally, I'm done with canvas field gear.  It starts out heavy, gets heavier when wet, and will rot.  Very tough to de-contaminate, if that is an issue for you.  But, YMMV.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.
View Quote
That’s a damn good price.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's a damn good price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I'm done with canvas field gear.  It starts out heavy, gets heavier when wet, and will rot.  Very tough to de-contaminate, if that is an issue for you.  But, YMMV.  Disclaimer: no financial interest.
That's a damn good price.
Yes, it is.  BUT, add-in the cost of other required items, if not on-hand.  If planning to use a number of these pouches on a pistol belt, one should definitely use a more modern, GI, nylon pistol belt, and also one should consider some suitable padded nylon shoulder straps. YMMV, but the more pouches, the greater the weight.  Unfortunately, there is no simple way to mount these pouches to a modern PALS platform.  I know how to do it, but involves sewing heavy webbing, and using at least 2 short Malice clips per pouch;  Such an adaptor would replace the pistol belt, and allow mounting on a PALS platform.  Might need a third MALICE clip in the middle, maybe not.

The good news is that M1 Garand users nowadays have more alternatives than in the past.  They all have their positive points, and negative points.  Pick one that suits what one has lying around, and/or your budget and level skill at such things.

It's all good, and nowadays better than in the past.  Things are looking-up for M1 owners, and we can all be happy with that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Question about using the 40mm pouches. I know jeremy uses the edge of the clip to keep it from dropping into the pouch but could a foam insert or something else be used to keep the clip from falling too deep? Or am I just overthinking it?
View Quote
Jeremy's approach will work, as-stated.  His method relies on the clip being only partially inserted into the 40MM pouch.  He has displayed pix of such.  The clips won't sink down into the pouch using this method.

Your call on whether or not you like Jeremy's method.

The 40MM pouch is a very tight full-insertion fit for any M1 clip, but it can be done.  However, once the clip is fully inserted into the 40MM pouch, gravity, and the user's body movement, will drive the clip down into the pouch, rendering it difficult to access.

This being so, the bottom of the pouch needs to be closed/secured, in order to retain a certain amount of added closed-cell foam required to prevent the clips from sinking too far down into the pouch, and so becoming difficult to extract, particularly with gloved hands.

Most of this has been discussed above.

There are many different approaches discussed in this thread, and others like it, in this forum.

Experiment, and discover what works best for you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, it is.  BUT, add-in the cost of other required items, if not on-hand.  If planning to use a number of these pouches on a pistol belt, one should definitely use a more modern, GI, nylon pistol belt, and also one should consider some suitable padded nylon shoulder straps. YMMV, but the more pouches, the greater the weight.  Unfortunately, there is no simple way to mount these pouches to a modern PALS platform.  I know how to do it, but involves sewing heavy webbing, and using at least 2 short Malice clips per pouch;  Such an adaptor would replace the pistol belt, and allow mounting on a PALS platform.  Might need a third MALICE clip in the middle, maybe not.

The good news is that M1 Garand users nowadays have more alternatives than in the past.  They all have their positive points, and negative points.  Pick one that suits what one has lying around, and/or your budget and level skill at such things.

It's all good, and nowadays better than in the past.  Things are looking-up for M1 owners, and we can all be happy with that.
View Quote
I’d solve it with snaps like the M1961 belt for the M14.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ALICE Users, your ship has come in: https://www.amazon.com/Numrich-Dual-Magazine-Pouch-Garand/dp/B07KGLS5MR/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&hvadid=77859219726893&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=m1+magazine+pouch&qid=1582574736&sr=8-12

Cotton canvas, Greek-issue, not USGI. Note the busted snap in the picture, so recommend being able to replace snaps, if required.  Alice clips can be replaced with small MALICE clips.  These were more common in the past, and price is rising.  If really faded, can be dyed, use salt with cotton gear, instead of the usual vinegar for nylon.  Do shop around.

Better pix, higher price:  https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8016

Disclaimer, no financial interest.
View Quote
I bought a few of these from APEX (which was less expensive; I paid $5 ea.).  I used them to hold 3 5-round chargers with 7.62 NATO ammo per pocket.  Some were a tight fit, some fit easily with three.  I used them with a M1956 belt and suspenders set I had on-hand and they worked pretty well for the tactical rifle match for which I used them (I used my FAL, which due to having to use a fixed mag, I reloaded with chargers).

They also will attach to an ALICE/MOLLE adapter.

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I finally got a chance to put them together on my belt. They work perfectly. No need for foam in the bottom of the pouch. Enblocs pop right in and out with no issues.

Thanks for the suggestion.
View Quote
I'm delighted that you have gotten some useful Garand pouches!
The More, the Merrier.

No downside here, as far s I can reckon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top