Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

ALICE Gear Setups (Page 20 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the harness for the Dflcs Defensor Fortis Load carrying system of Air Force security forces (the guys guarding installations). More like a hybrid low worn chest rig than a true belt, but Nice. Early ones were green, there is a variant with a self regulating spandex covered elastic instead of the side straps.
Made by Eagle Industries, London Bridge Trading or Garrett Container Systems. As of today they are issuing an updated v2 version which is more Alice friendly as it has 5 molle rows stacked without empty space.  It also got away with the horizontal mounting for a small pistol magazine or OC pouch, which I think it was cool.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
That's the harness for the Dflcs Defensor Fortis Load carrying system of Air Force security forces (the guys guarding installations). More like a hybrid low worn chest rig than a true belt, but Nice. Early ones were green, there is a variant with a self regulating spandex covered elastic instead of the side straps.
Made by Eagle Industries, London Bridge Trading or Garrett Container Systems. As of today they are issuing an updated v2 version which is more Alice friendly as it has 5 molle rows stacked without empty space.  It also got away with the horizontal mounting for a small pistol magazine or OC pouch, which I think it was cool.
View Quote

Got a complete DFS kit, from Uncle Sam's before they went under.  IIRC, intended for wear over old-style body armor.  IIRC, Eagle mfr.

External fitments are of Molle/PALS configuration.

Sized very large, so to fit over body armor.  Well-made.  Very adaptable to the user.

Most users, assuming they do not already have such rig are better off buying other rigs, IMHO, especially fake rigs.  Got one of them, too.

BUT, if one already has a GTG DFS rig, and on a severe budget, one could do much worse.

The rig is useable, if the user makes it so.

Better a tested, decent rig, in-hand, than a perfect rig awaiting purchace/testing.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
Not ALICE, but I picked up this harness for $25 off of Ebay.

Its a discontinued Air Force Item.  Air Force Rifleman harness or something.

More comfortable than a traditional ALICE harness, and MOLLE.  The pouches I already had lying around.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114265/WIN_20200627_10_08_57_Pro_jpg-1479289.JPG
View Quote

DFLCE. I wore it high like a chest rig. Over concealment armor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Key to dflcs was to quick adapt to be worn alone or over armor, depending on guard duty requests.

It comes in various sauces when I comes to adjustment, we have the one with side straps as the one we just saw then we have:
Overlapping velcro

-elastic

-Elastic protected with spandex

As of today the v2 version I already told is under distribution. And it has t-slots for sizing adjustment

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Assembled from spares I had in boxes, with no practical purposes even if I may use in the next ftx or at the range. Components except the canteen cover are post 2000 contract, cg483 color. If you are wondering atm last contract for Alice items is fiscal year 2016, so as of today they may still be pumping them out.

Pack fits just like the FPLIF patrol pack (which BTW it's still in production, too)

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the go-to for tips and tricks dealing with ALICE packs?

Just got a very lightly-used medium pack, and already picked up an airborne polymer frame and FILBE waist belt- both for cheap. The seams and threads have already been seared, and the stitching is all A-OK.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lew:
What's the go-to for tips and tricks dealing with ALICE packs?

Just got a very lightly-used medium pack, and already picked up an airborne polymer frame and FILBE waist belt- both for cheap. The seams and threads have already been seared, and the stitching is all A-OK.
View Quote
It's all in this thread, including the mods you're contemplating.  For that frame, you'll also need some MOLLE shoulder straps.  Don't recommend the FILBE shoulder straps, because initial version had some issues, and no telling what version is offered by vendors.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool. There are a bunch of MOLLE II options on fleabay. Mostly ACU, but DCU and OCP aren't much more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]
Cool. There are a bunch of MOLLE II options on fleabay. Mostly ACU, but DCU and OCP aren't much more.
View Quote
UCP items (presumably what you term ACU) are easily dyed.  See my thread in this forum.  Buy the color/camo that is appropriate for your AO.

LMK if you need help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm aware. UCP, even dyed, is still a bit dark for these environs, and with the most appropriate option- OCP- only ~$10 more, that's the sensible way to go. Of course, the pack is OD, so really, it just comes down to me despising the aesthetics of digital patterns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm aware. UCP, even dyed, is still a bit dark for these environs, and with the most appropriate option- OCP- only ~$10 more, that's the sensible way to go. Of course, the pack is OD, so really, it just comes down to me despising the aesthetics of digital patterns.
View Quote
Your call, of course.

3-color desert, dyed with Taupe Rit dye, can render a decent coyote brown.  Depends on what you want.

There are water-proof slip-over covers for packs, of various camo patterns/colors, so don't feel constrained on account of the original camo/color of your pack
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have camo netting for the pack, so no worries.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
OK!
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
OK!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
OK!

A seller on fleabay offered me 15% off a MOLLE II OCP strap set, and I'm a sucker for Multicam.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#15]
Does anyone remember a custom outfit, 15 to 20yrs ago, that used to sling a bunch of different ALICE style LBVs and pouches?

@raf?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Does anyone remember a custom outfit, 15 to 20yrs ago, that used to sling a bunch of different ALICE style LBVs and pouches?

@raf?
View Quote

Tactical Tailor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

Tactical Tailor?
View Quote

What I was going to say
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

What I was going to say
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stoner01:

Tactical Tailor?

What I was going to say

No. Much more obscure but they seemed to have an extensive catalogue of offerings.

No, they were literally custom ALICE pouches and gear. Similar material and same clasps and everything. I haven't seen them in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]

Tactical Tailor?
View All Quotes

@raf?

Tactical Tailor?
I recall the mfr, but they are out of the gear-making business, last I heard.  Will have to research the exact name of the outfit, and will report back.

ETA: FMCO/Antipersonnel searches bring back null results.  Looks like the site is dead.  

I bought some gear from them, and it was definitely GTG.

Unique items offered.  Based on combat vet input, and generally based on original ALICE Gear platforms, with subsequent updates/options for MOLLE /PALS platforms. Their intellectual property was available to purchase for a while.

Sad to say, but yet another very good, very high-quality gear-maker who has gone extinct.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:33:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#20]
I recall the mfr, but they are out of the gear-making business, last I heard.  Will have to research the exact name of the outfit, and will report back.

ETA: FMCO/Antipersonnel searches bring back null results.  Looks like the site is dead.  

I bought some gear from them, and it was definitely GTG.

Unique items offered.  Based on combat vet input, and generally based on original ALICE Gear platforms, with subsequent updates/options for MOLLE /PALS platforms. Their intellectual property was available to purchase for a while.

Sad to say, but yet another very good, very high-quality gear-maker who has gone extinct.

View Quote

Bingo! That's it. I knew you'd remember.

Yeah, I never got around to buying any of their stuff but I checked it out and mulled it over quite a bit. It's too bad that opportunity has passed.

ETA: A trip down memory lane (PDF catalogue)
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#21]
FMCO was the Paul Harrell of tactical gear, solid and old fashioned.

I remember they had LBVs and grenade style vests, with nice attachable day sacks and underarm shoulder holsters. I think they were still fashionable atleast until John Willis and Mike McMillan or even the army were doing Load bearing vests, which aren't a thing anymore i guess.

Back in time years before i discovered them on the net i bought from a surplus store here in italy a FMCO vest, which had shotgun shell pouches, i think a pouch for rifle magazine that fit both a bm59 and a stanag magazine plus a grenade pouch and two large british style pouches on the hips.

I borrowed it to a friend who used it during Operation ALBA, patrolling the street of Albania and later i got it back and it got deployed to the latest part of "OP. Vespri Siciliani", that deployed Italian Army in southern Italy from 1992 to 1998 to contrast Mafia after the 1992 Killings. It was mostly patrols, checkpoints and the occasional Raid to arrest some criminal.
Ways of carrying Benelli shotgun shells didn't exist at the time, at best guys would use plain leather hunter's bandoleer. that vest was way ahead of its time in Italy
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#22]

I loved their policy:
-No mesh (it rips)
-No velcro (noisy)
-No zipper (they melt shut)
-No communist labor or materials

They also sold a combat tomahawk, which is waaaay before it was cool to have one on your webbing.
Also shotgun flechette ammunition and .50 bolt action uppers for ar15
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#23]
I have one of there vests. Great set up. To bad there out of business. How to bring up there pictures of there gear?

https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller-desk14/?projectId=527984264#5458388aa0100b1e890d88a7454d9212
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I cant open those PDF files.

Which pictures of their Gear do you Need? I have them saved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By recon:
I have one of there vests. Great set up. To bad there out of business. How to bring up there pictures of there gear?

https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller-desk14/?projectId=527984264#5458388aa0100b1e890d88a7454d9212
View Quote

It's weird. I can open the PDF on my phone but not my computer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Fmco items from their catalogs. Part 1
Lbv

Universal pouches close up

18 magazine lbv

48 Shell lbv

72 Shell lbv

12 Mag smg lbv

18 mag smg lbv

Full flap option for pouches

Fastex option for pouches

Include lbv back pouch

Lbv attachable packs

Sleeping Gear carrier

Lbv shoulder holster

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Part 2
Vest

20 magazine vest

Vest with utility pouches

Ak vest

Belted ammo vest

48 round Shell vest

96 round Shell vest

Vest pack

Sleeping Gear carrier

Stabilizing straps
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#28]
Thanks for those pictures. Is that all of them? I need to find mine and see which one I have.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Part3 pouches
Back

12 Shell

Single smg

M249

Garand

308 mags

4x20rd

3x30rd

6x30rd

3x40rd

Sks

Ak

Ak drum

Saiga

M1911

Holsters, thumb break, flap, ruger MK2, shoulder.

Ffd-compass

Frag frenare

Bandoleer and double bandoleer

Spento magazines

Canteens

Buttpack

Belt pad

4 and 8 point harness

Tomahawk
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for those pictures. Is that all of them? I need to find mine and see which one I have.
View Quote

Those are all from the website, they had custom tailored vests for every kind of magazines, including coupled ones with different brands of couplers, but layout was the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I always wonder when a company goes out of business what happens to all that gear? Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone ever seen that FMCO stuff come up for sale in the wild? I have yet to come across any on eBay or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Those are amazing. I want the 24 mag vest because it’s so ridiculous
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
That is super cool. Somebody could easily remake those.
View Quote

"Easily"
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I always wonder when a company goes out of business what happens to all that gear? Oh well.
View Quote
I had to wait some little while after I ordered some gear which was, coincidentally, just before they stopped accepting orders.  His intellectual property, at least, and probably patterns and maybe materials/machines , was available for sale after he closed his gear-making business.  Don't know if anyone bought it.

AFAIK, he continued making other items, perhaps specialty ammo, after that.  IDK if he's still in business in any capacity, or even if he's still alive.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sic_ness:
Those are amazing. I want the 24 mag vest because it's so ridiculous
View Quote
Looks based on the UK MOD DPM Battle Waistcoat:
Attachment Attached File

That FMCo Battle Vest Pack looks based on the USMC M-1967 Pack that was supposed to replace the canvas WWII-era USMC M-1941 packs still being used side by side with the 1960's manufactured M-1941 Packs in OD 420d Pack Cloth.
Attachment Attached File

M-1941 Pack System:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#38]

"Easily"
View All Quotes

"Easily"
All Best Manufacturing still makes that ALICE pinch closure/fastener.     Years ago they were a bit flexible in regards to placing smaller orders, instead of having to buy, $120 worth of a $0.05 part, although I can't remember the specific hardware I had ordered.
AlBest Manufacturing
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
All Best Manufacturing still makes that ALICE pinch closure/fastener.     Years ago they were a bit flexible in regards to placing smaller orders, instead of having to buy, $120 worth of a $0.05 part, although I can't remember the specific hardware I had ordered.
AlBest Manufacturing
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

"Easily"
AlBest Manufacturing

Thanks! I was actually wondering where those could be had, if at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner63a] [#40]
Regarding ALICE LC-2 Rucksacks, and the UNICOR-altered SINCGARS Radio Carriers, I bought a couple woodland camo Radio Carriers to use as a truck bag in FL.   When I test loaded one, I discovered one was significantly smaller capacity inside, like 2/3 the capacity of a Medium LC-2 Ruck.

Larger style UNICOR SINCGARS Radio Carrier and shown with RT1523C:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And the slightly smaller UNICOR Radio Carrier with a gutted RT1523E Housing, this type has two ALICE snap hooks offset, appear to fit holes in the ASIP faceplate, and there is a secondard 1" nylon strap with the earlier spring-loaded ALICE buckle, that passes through a slit melted in the pack cloth, that fits around the radio body:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Have the Radio Carriers for the later ASIP type SINCGARS been altered down in size to accommodate the smaller RT-1523E and later radios?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Enforcer] [#41]
I own 4 radio carriers; 2 US Army and 2 USMC. Those are the pouches that have been "cut out" of the carriers. IMO they were not "purpose built" from the contractor; just simple field modifications. The "tell" ?........... the top opening is irregular and a portion of the duffle closure remains from the "donor" medium ALICE carrier. Yours was modified to retain the shoulder straps and ALICE lid. I'll pull mine from the moth balls and post a few pics. The US army version has a smaller radio pouch than the USMC version. The USMC pouch takes up 1/3 to 1/2 of the carriers internal volume, probably 1/3, I've never measured it. The USMC version also has a full padded back.  One of my USMC carriers has been my EDC bag for nearly 12 years.

pics are front and back of the USMC radio carrier; I'll post pics of the pouches inside for comparison tomorrow.

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Enforcer:
I own 4 radio carriers; 2 US Army and 2 USMC. Those are the pouches that have been "cut out" of the carriers. IMO they were not "purpose built" from the contractor; just simple field modifications. The "tell" ?........... the top opening is irregular and a portion of the duffle closure remains from the "donor" medium ALICE carrier. Yours was modified to retain the shoulder straps and ALICE lid. I'll pull mine from the moth balls and post a few pics. The US army version has a smaller radio pouch than the USMC version. The USMC pouch takes up 1/3 to 1/2 of the carriers internal volume, probably 1/3, I've never measured it. The USMC version also has a full padded back.  One of my USMC carriers has been my EDC bag for nearly 12 years.

pics are front and back of the USMC radio carrier; I'll post pics of the pouches inside for comparison tomorrow.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NVW16I-RtPQf0OGHMtwkot9d_0hNW_NxRn64Zp_bhs1cZM_xWPN-pZIGjVSctOdKC_eiJHBaw6D-OvVTT10xYSVw5FRujdpKjvpiB0TYWA6s1x70PY6WKxPE6u99Y4mGftjv_btvCw=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OZ5vjVJrnoKB3zLYbIlLjZ-sBJwnAmvJVZ6yKfdv-K5mZC7Ve6F87qywVONezQuZerQ-fli9-N68XZsuq_YF14mk7tghs4222D40Y7WS5_JBSjZHrB5v_ZdKOWSrPqeaEE7CCaXUjw=w2400

Regards

Rod
View Quote
Small velcro-secured flap in larger top flap is also a sign.

Hey, Rod!  Good to see you again!
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks raf. You'll be seeing me poke in here and there; I don't plan to stay gone as long as before. I've been so busy today I haven't had time to pull my radio carriers. Hopefully I can get it done before the end of the week. Good to be back.

Rod
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I went through the gear boxes this weekend and put together 2 load carrier setups. First is a pure ALICE rig. I replaced the shitty ALICE clips with malice clips and zip ties and the suspender metal hooks with 550 cord. I cut the frag pouches off the ammo pouches to save space since I don't have access to frags Second is a MOLLE LBV with ALICE and MOLLE pouches. Like the first I replaced all ALICE clips with malice clips. I used the bottom MOLLE strips to help raise the pouches higher up the belt to clear my legs in motion. I need to get a butt pack for the LBV. I still need to tie down the canteens and tape up the loose adjustment straps when I get some green or brown duct tape.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Zip ties and para cord work wonders. Nice set up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I think that many users can benefit from adding some padded/floatation inserts to the typical Alice Pistol Belt.  Such inserts greatly aid user comfort.

Unfortunately, such aftermarket add-ons also delete some space on the belt, due to snap-closed 1" wide fasteners.

Probably the best alternative is to use closed-cell GI sleeping-mat foam inserts, secured by tape or suitable cordage, such securing items being in between the pouches.

Having a padded belt is one of those things that seems like a "luxury" until you try it out.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#49]
The ILBV unit was intended to allow a specific, modern, butt-pack to be attached.  Generally, these were of woodland camo pattern, and had black Fastex buckles.  The specific details are on the back-side of the buttpack, so beware of clones.

The correct, late-issue GI buttpack mates up perfectly with the ILBV, as was intended.

https://www.loadup.com/woodland-camouflage-us-gi-enhanced-nylon-butt-pack.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#50]
IMO, and having been a collector of many eras of USGI Milsurp gear over the decades, it's time to put old Milsurp Alice gear out to pasture.  The reason for my saying this is that most of it has been used hard, and time/use has taken its' toll.

The Cotton (M1956) gear is completely unacceptable as it is subject to rot and mildew, unlike the nylon gear (mostly).  Aside from that, the Mil found the nylon (M1967 gear FAR lighter overall, and especially when wet, and easier to clean if subjected to NBC contaminants.  Consider selling nice M1956 gear on ebay--see below.  

An unalterable thing about nylon ALICE gear is that the waterproofing coating is subject to de-lamination given enough heat and time--mostly time. So, the coating begins to stink as it degrades, and will continue to do so until it is completely gone.  It's possible to accelerate this process by turning the gear inside-out, and exposing the coating to direct sunlight; the process will still take a while, though-- and that's the problem: the waterproof coating falls-off at its' own rate, and will still stink during while it's decomposing.

Any coated nylon fabric will eventually do the same sort of delamination/stink, even modern gear.  Take heed.

Another approach is to use a stiff brush to remove as much of the waterproof coating as possible, and then use some "Tent Floor Seal" to encapsulate the remainder, hopefully a small remainder.  Only consider this if only intermittent flecks or small patches of the original coating are still present.  This requires painting-on a thin coating, and I have found small foam brushes best.  Buy quite a few, as they wear out fairly quickly-- you will see what I mean if you try this.  In my experience, this is a very laborious process.  One side-benefit to this process is that the user can sear the edges of exposed fabric and threads far more easily before treating the fabric, since they will be better exposed.

If you can stand the smell of your elderly ALICE gear's waterproof coating degrading--and it will lessen over time as long as you brush it and wash it-- then consider spraying the outside of the gear with spray-on DWR.  Doing so will greatly retard the water-absorption of the nylon fabric.  It's not "waterproof", and does degrade over time, but it does not stink in the meantime, and is easier to renew.

Those having minty-new ALICE gear should consider selling it on Ebay.  Condition is Everything, and if it looks like new, you are far better off selling it to a collector than usiing it.  Might bring surprising $.  Very rare equiment still relies on the "Condition Rule", but I have seen some lightly damaged, but quite rare items go for surprising $. Having sold-off a LOT of milsurp gear, I have some experience with this.

Still, the aforementioned notwithstanding, ALICE gear is nowadays not considered first-rate  Sure, it works, but so does a Ford Model T. Fine for emergency hand-outs, but if you're in that situation, Heaven help you, not least for the type of your hand-out gear.

FWIW, ALICE gear was fine in its' day, and some parts of the ensemble still have their uses.  For example, the Med and Large ALICE packs (perhaps modified by Tactical Tailor), mounted on suitable MOLLE frames (Hellcat), the pistol belt, and even the updated Buttpack, with OEM Fastex buckles.  The compass/first aid pouches are OK for M1 Garand clips, but use TT lightweight MALICE clips in lieu of the ALICE clips, PLEASE.

I still have LOADS of ALICE gear, a good deal of it modified, sitting in storage.  I will consider posting it on the EE.

View Quote

Pulling these observations forward a year or two -

I posted a thread in GD the other day, a PSA about urethane coated nylon.    Found a ton of my gear - over $1500 worth, new - had the interior coatings go bad.   Most likely a combination of being stored in closed plastic bins for a few years, topped off by some of it spending a few weeks in a hot storage unit.   Given the varying ages, which things were affected, and some research on urethane breaking down on outdoor gear, I think outgassing in closed containers is the bigger culprit.

This is stuff mostly acquired in the 2000-2010 time frame, ranging from original MOLLE stuff I acquired before the IBA was even issued out, to some Kifaru packs.

Major pain in the ass, several days of scrubbing and washing off coatings.  The stuff that has gone bad will start coming off with a hot water/detergent wash, so if you can turn it inside out and machine wash it all together you typically don't need to scrub it.   Intact coatings seem to come out fine.

I took a look at my old ALICE H-harness setup from the mid/late 90's a couple of months ago and it still seemed fine, though.

I would honestly like to see more gear made with uncoated but DWR treated 1000d/500d nylon, or with the heavy black interior lining Tactical Tailor uses on some of their stuff.
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 20 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top