Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2018 11:07:52 AM EDT
Got my stamp back and planning on getting it engraved.  What is the best location on the receiver to engrave it?  Recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my receivers from Childer's Guns.  He engraved his company info under the trigger guard and my trust info engraved on the bottom under the front trunnion forward of the mag opening.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to ask a question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but is it required now to engrave if I'm not selling it?

Sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
One of mine engraved in front of magwell underneat, another is engraved on left side, opposite manufacturer markings, so it doesnt really stand out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to ask a question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but is it required now to engrave if I'm not selling it?

Sorry for the hijack
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always has been for NFA firearms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack
Always has been for NFA firearms.
I've read on a few NFA lawyer websites that say it didn't have to be engraved if I didn't sell it. It stated that if I did the form 1 that it didn't need to he engraved unless I sold it to someone else.

Edit to say I'm not doubting anyone and I already found a local place to do the engraving on my 2 lowers, I was just curious and had read so many interpretations of it. Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've read on a few NFA lawyer websites that say it didn't have to be engraved if I didn't sell it. It stated that if I did the form 1 that it didn't need to he engraved unless I sold it to someone else.

Edit to say I'm not doubting anyone and I already found a local place to do the engraving on my 2 lowers, I was just curious and had read so many interpretations of it. Thanks to all.
View Quote
I am not an attorney so this is just my hunch.
That might be SBR’s that you buy already built from CZ or Arsenal for example.   The engraving is required if you “build” or assemble it at your house.
I JUST  (Friday Jan 5) had my FFL do a Form 1, finger print me and take my lower to be engraved. So,my Quarter Circle10 9mm Lower Receiver that I am going to SBR must have my Name plus City and State that I “built” or assembled it. If I had a gun trust then the name of my gun trust would be engraved instead of my name, city and state. The ATF also requires the letters to a certain height AND DEPTH. So, if you are having it laser engraved then you might not be able to back fill it with paint because it would change the depth of the letters. I am not sure about Cerakote with laser engraving and depth.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are a few people who keep promoting that opinion, but they are 100% incorrect in their interpretation of the law.

You have to engrave.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again guys, and my apologies for the hijack, hated to start a thread that I'm sure has been beat to death. I'm dropping my 2 lowers off this week.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That might be SBR’s that you buy already built from CZ or Arsenal for example.   The engraving is required if you “build” or assemble it at your house.
I JUST  (Friday Jan 5) had my FFL do a Form 1, finger print me and take my lower to be engraved. So,my Quarter Circle10 9mm Lower Receiver that I am going to SBR must have my Name plus City and State that I “built” or assembled it. If I had a gun trust then the name of my gun trust would be engraved instead of my name, city and state. The ATF also requires the letters to a certain height AND DEPTH. So, if you are having it laser engraved then you might not be able to back fill it with paint because it would change the depth of the letters. I am not sure about Cerakote with laser engraving and depth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just depth. Height is only for serial numbers. .003" deep on all engraved markings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm confused. I bought a factory sbr Daniel defense mk18. Also a few suppressors. Did paperwork, paid $200, and was advised to just keep papers with it once approved.
Are you guys saying these need engraved? I thought that was an old rule.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm confused. I bought a factory sbr Daniel defense mk18. Also a few suppressors. Did paperwork, paid $200, and was advised to just keep papers with it once approved.
View Quote
If you MAKE an NFA item (like an SBR from a title 1 rifle or a home made suppressor), you as the maker need to engrave.

If you bought a factory NFA item on a form 4, it was engraved by the manufacturer and you don't need to engrave anything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I just put this up in another thread but it bears posting again here

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only the maker of the NFA item needs to engrave it. Your items were already engraved. If you make an NFA item on a Form 1, you are the maker of the NFA item and must engrave it ("maker" is different from "manufacturer" in this context - the manufacturer of, say, a Form 1'd AR lower also has to engrave it with their info, but they didn't make it into an NFA item, you did, so you also have to engrave it).
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just put this up in another thread but it bears posting again here

http://zenphotos.net/AKSU_EngraveItHouston.jpg
View Quote
This is pretty much what my engraver did.

Thanks for all the input, folks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Would engraving the barrel under the upper handguard be ok. It's easy enough to remove. Or does it have to be visible all the time?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Would engraving the barrel under the upper handguard be ok. It's easy enough to remove. Or does it have to be visible all the time?
View Quote
Should be plainly visible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top