Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2024 7:54:15 PM EDT
Picked up an unused ach from au and probably gonna chop it. My understanding is there is standard high cut and fast style. Most of the ones I see on YouTube and such use the standard high cut. Is there a difference between the two and will the fast style fit an ach chop? It looks more vertical on the back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
High cut works better with earpro.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do u send it to get cut?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hodgi_:
Where do u send it to get cut?
View Quote

This. I'm thinking about getting my ACH cut so I can add rails and ear pro.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well you can do it yourself as it's not really difficult. KustomACH seems popular though.

Surely someone knows the difference between the profiles of FAST vs Standard. Everybody here has a helmet right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Well you can do it yourself as it's not really difficult. KustomACH seems popular though.

Surely someone knows the difference between the profiles of FAST vs Standard. Everybody here has a helmet right?
View Quote

Ops-Core has a FAST cut and super high cut. Is that what you're referencing?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#6]
Edit: Double tap sorry..

Super high cut gives you a little more room depending on headset used and shape of your head. My comms always touched the bottom of the ARC rail on the OG FAST helmet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:
Edit: Double tap sorry..

Super high cut gives you a little more room depending on headset used and shape of your head. My comms always touched the bottom of the ARC rail on the OG FAST helmet.
View Quote

I guess after further research it appears to be between fast (og) and fast sf (super high cut). Will a chopped ach fit a super high cut rail and is that better than the standard fast? What comms fit and don't fit?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
Since you have an ACH, you should only look into and research "ACH high cut".

ACH helmets are available as a full, mid, or high cut. You can google search images to see what the cuts look like. I would throw out the word FAST from your searches as it may get you crossed up.

You want to follow the ACH high cut pattern as best as possible so you will have the best shot at compatibility with accessories such as rails & helmet covers made for ACH high cut helmets. I would go with "ACH high-cut" if helmet mounted comms/ear pro are something you want. If ballistic coverage is more important then go mid or full cut.  

Ops-Core legacy FAST helmets were available in high cut and super high cut versions. The legacy high cut is different than an ACH high cut. Now, the Ops-Core FAST helmets are all referred to as "high cut" but are "super high cut". This is a recent change and it's common to see incorrect info online due to this.

Hence why I say ignore FAST for what you're trying to do sir (cut your ACH helmet)
View Quote

That definitely clears it up. I'll get the rails that people who have cut achs recommend.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:12:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#10]
You get ACH ARC rails or Ops Core ARC rails. ACH has a particular shape, different from standard Ops Core. They don't interchange, even though Ops Core makes an ACH ARC rail version.

Ops Core makes ACH ARC rails for other brand ACH helmets and OpsCore standard ARC rails for their own helmets. Two different things. The Ops Core ACH ARC rails are, or at least were, one size only. ARC is a spec for the way the accessories fit in the slots, not the rest of the rail or shape.

Galvion, formerly Revision, makes ARC rails that fit per each of the 4 ACH/Viper helet sizes. They are 100% ARC spec but slightly different than OpsCore ACH ARC rails and Galvion pays a royalty to OpsCore to use their ARC name/spec.

Galvion/Revision used to sell both stand alone ACH/Viper ARC rails and their integrated ACH/Viper ARC rails that tie the rails into their proprietary 1 hole shroud. Revision/Galvion was the #1 manufacturer of ACH helmets for the military toward end of ACH production and Viper was the exact same ACH helmet sold for LE use with NIJ rating

I have both types. I have an older Revision branded 3 hole ACH/Viper helmet I paired with Revision stand alone ARC rails and a Wilcox shroud. I also have a Galvion branded one hole ACH/Viper helmet that is paired with the integrated ARC rails/shroud. If you have a one hole ACH the Galvion integrated rail/shroud setup is the way to go because it integrates the two front side rail bolts into the shroud to give it three points of contact. Looks kinda funny but works REALLY well. The Galvion brand shroud uses two rubber bumpers that take out slack/slop like a Norotos shroud and fits better than my Wilcox shrouds that don't.

I know that at least for LE pricing, Galvion has the best price when you combine the cost of shroud and rails together and don't consider a Norotos "fell off a truck" shroud off of Ebay and buy everything from legit vendors.

Unfortunately, Galvion made their stand alone ACH/Viper ARC rails LE purchase only and was discontinuing them as of just over a year ago when I spoke to them. They also were going 99.9% to one hole helmet production and 3 hole was SUPER custom order only for their Viper helmets with very limited availability of stand alone rails. The Revision/Galvion ACH rails fit better on ACH sizes other than medium compared to the OpsCore ACH ARC rails that are sized to fit medium or large helmets IMO. You just will not find them easily. If you do find a set cheap, or even used, buy with confidence.

Also, FYI, the Premium (not regular) Galvion ACH/Viper helmet cover
Sized in two sizes (XS/S and L/XL) is also by far the best fitting/quality ACH helmet cover I have found as well. Though you have to install the cover then install the rails and shroud on top and make little cuts for the side bolt holes, which is kind of a pain if the helmet is already assembled. It also comes with a single hole up front so perfect for a single hole helmets, but looks like you have a .22lr bullet hole if you use a 3 hole setup and you cut more holes to mount a 3 hole shroud. I use that cover on both of my ACH high cut helmets. On the upside, that cover will wrap around and cover up the edging of your fullcut chopped to high cut ACH, so it will stay protected and always look nice. If you are having someone else cut the helmet, I would consider buying your rails and cover first and sending them with the helmet to ensure the cut fits both the cover and the rails.

ACH high cut chops are usually just going to roughly follow the contours of the ear bumps and chop them before they flare. Having the cover and rails ensures they don't leave too much material making the cover fit poorly, but also gives a guide to cut away as much as possible to follow the bottom rail shape.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I already drilled mine and mounted a wilcox 3 hole shroud. Works good. I'll look into the other stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top