BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/23/2023 6:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter]
Edit-

Let’s keep the thread on Topic.

Update#3 Sound Data below. This data is courtesy of nfatalk.org.

Update #2 Below, New AAC Taper Flash Hider & QD Hub.

If you have had a Resto done and have a range report please post your findings here; I’ll start below my original post

556-SD upgrade to Ranger 5.

762-SDN-6 upgrade to Ranger 7.

Size comparison to SF SOCOM556-RC & Dead Air SMS762-MIL Sandman.

Haven’t shot them yet however the upgrade is incredibly well done.

$700.00 per and 4 weeks door to door.

Update #1

Had both cans out to a metering event in NE Georgia on Saturday. Event was hosted by some of the crew that operates nfatalk.org, and had present 3 B&K 2209 Impulse Sound Meters, calibrated to NIST Standards. Meters were set up at the industry standard 1M left of muzzle, shooters right ear and shooters left ear. Temp was in the range of 103 with heat Index, sunny & winds were calm.

Both cans were tested with one unsuppressed shot with no muzzle device followed by 5 rounds Suppressed using the included Direct Thread Hub adapter.

I will update this thread once all the data is posted to the master thread for suppressor data on nfatalk.org. It usually takes those guys about a week to compile everything and get it posted.

RANGER 5

Tested using an upper consisting of an 11.5” FN barrel, carbine gas, .070 GP, low pro standard gas block, standard full auto BCG, and a new, Vltor VCH charging handle free of my normal gasket maker at the rear of the charging handle.

Ammo tested was what I assume would be the loudest 5.56 I’ve got, Federal American Eagle XM193, 55 Gr. Muzzle velocity out of an 11.5 is some where in the range of 2770-2810 or so.

Can feels great with the reduced length and lighter weight. 15.2 Oz, down from 18, While not a huge decrease it is noticeable. Definite decrease in blowback was noticed. In its original form as a 556-SD gas was instant and in your face. I attribute the decrease to the vented baffles and slightly larger 6mm Bore. I specifically threw a new untreated charging handle in this upper to see how much was really coming back and was surprised how little there was. Pretty happy with it overall, this thing is probably going to reside on a .223 Bolt gun & BCM 14.5 Recce that I’ve got.

Update- Ranger 5 Sound Data

https://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php?threads/august-26th-2023-aac-ranger-5-ar15-di-11-5in-american-eagle-55gr-test.18449/

Looking at 135.8 Muzzle, 134.7 Left Ear, 140.5 Right Ear

RANGER 7

Tested using an AAC 9” Pistol Gas upper, low pro standard gas block, standard full auto BCG, standard charging handle with gasket maker at the rear. Can’t remember what AAC was opening these gas ports to…it’s the OG AAC barrel 4150 CMV, nitride, 1-7 twist 5R rifling.

Two types of ammo were tested using the same 1 shot unsuppressed, no muzzle device followed by 5 Suppressed in the Direct Thread configuration. Can was allowed to cool slightly between the two types of ammo.

Federal Fusion MSR 150 Gr. (Super) & Sig Marksman 220 Gr. OTM (Sub). Velocity on these is pretty well established at something like ~1669 & ~960 from a 9” Barrel. If anybody has actual chrono data on these specific loads from 9” barrel please post them up.

Once again the reduced length and weight were noticeable over the SDN-6 in its original form. 7.66” & 19.85 Oz down to 6.75” & 17.2 Oz. Reduced blowback was again very noticeable as this can has more vented baffles than the Ranger 5. It was really nice with both supers and subs and cycled fine, just really pleasant overall. This will stay dedicated to this gun and continue to reside bedside as it did before the Resto.

Update- Ranger 7 Sound Data

Supersonic: https://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php?threads/august-26th-2023-aac-ranger-7-ar15-300blk-9-5in-federal-150gr-test.18450/

Looking at 137.6 Muzzle, 143 Left Ear, 142 Right Ear

Subsonic: https://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php?threads/august-26th-2023-aac-ranger-7-ar15-300blk-9-5in-sig-sauer-300blk-220gr-test.18451/

Looking at 135.2 Muzzle, 134.2 Left Ear, 133.1 Right Ear

Overall impressions are favorable. Both cans met my expectations for what I wanted out of this whole Resto process.
Money well spent for me and I’m glad I did it, brought back two can that weren’t seeing much use and now definitely will.

If you have questions or your own reviews post them up, I’ll come back with sound data when I have it.

Update #2

I have no relationship to AAC other than being a user. I have been given permission to post these new items and review them, and to my knowledge I am the only non-industry, non-dealer to have them.

These are scheduled for release at SHOT, and will be available in both 1/2”x28 and 5/8”x24.

New 90Tooth V Thread flash hider:

90TV Flash Hider 1/2-28- 4.24oz, 2.59" OAL.

3 points of retention- Large Robust Taper behind the three prongs, new V-thread pitch which I am unsure what the actual pitch is however it much finer than the old course threads from the 51T mounts, followed by the 90 Tooth Ratchet. Differing lengths of relief on each tine so no tuning fork resonance was noticed.

Lock up on this thing is extremely tight, even hand tightened I needed a tool to separate them. Rocket will absolutely be need on the barrel or this flash hider will come off with the hub. Very good gas seal when shooting, taper and threads stay remarkably clean of carbon after removal.

90TV Flash Hider 5/8-24- 4oz, 2.59" OAL

New QD 1.375-24 HUB compatible Adapter

90TV (Tapered V-thread) Adapter- 3.44oz, 1.22" of added length, 1.77" overall.

Again the new Adapter locks up incredibly tight to the new flash hiders, machining tolerances between the two are very tight, no movement between the two at all. Everything that people didn’t like about the 51T system has been fixed with these new mounts and adapters. Ratchet Latch now has 4 teeth to engage the flash hider and looks to be user serviceable as it is retained by a pin the can driven out much easier than the 51T latches. Don’t know if AAC will provide this pin but I imagine they probably would if needed. I still keep the latch fully depressed when threading until fully seated, doing this on install & removal will extend the latch life as opposed to people wanting to hear that ratchet sound…

Will come back with more review thoughts after some more time with them but initial impressions are good.

End Cap has some interesting design features. I am told those 3 rings are there for flash mitigation purposes and the difference between the old cans and these new ones is night and day difference specifically under NODS.

Update #3 will be the sound data on these cans, still waiting for this to get published to nfatalk.org

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Who did the upgrades?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jlebowski:
Who did the upgrades?
View Quote

AAC

https://advanced-armament.com/restoration-program/
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
$700? Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Toker_:
$700? Ouch.
View Quote

This
Not how I’d spend money but glad the Op is happy and AAC seems to be rejuvenated
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
This
Not how I’d spend money but glad the Op is happy and AAC seems to be rejuvenated
View Quote

It sucks. I have two AAC 762-SND-6 and they've been sitting in a drawer since I got the Omega 300. I just bought a Silencerco 36M and am waiting on another free Omega 300.

I could see the benefit of this if you didn't want to wait for another tax stamp approval, but for someone like me that already has suppressors, the wait doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

It sucks. I have two AAC 762-SND-6 and they've been sitting in a drawer since I got the Omega 300. I just bought a Silencerco 36M and am waiting on another free Omega 300.

I could see the benefit of this if you didn't want to wait for another tax stamp approval, but for someone like me that already has suppressors, the wait doesn't really matter.
View Quote

That’s precisely the benefit that I see with this program. Does $700 hurt? A little but not as much as waiting.

The alternative is keep not shooting two old cans and have them sitting on a shelf or have them converted to AAC newest Tech/Design which is supposed to be shorter, lighter, less back pressure, and have nominally the same sound reduction.

I have a lot of other cans to shoot as well, however this was an easy decision for me and I think what the new crew at AAC is doing with this program is awesome. There are so many old cans out there that are just sitting and this is a factory option with warranty that bring those old cans back.

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 1:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#7]
Originally Posted By GreenSuiter:

That’s precisely the benefit that I see with this program. Does $700 hurt? A little but not as much as waiting.

The alternative is keep not shooting two old cans and have them sitting on a shelf or have them converted to AAC newest Tech/Design which is supposed to be shorter, lighter, less back pressure, and have nominally the same sound reduction.

I have a lot of other cans to shoot as well, however this was an easy decision for me and I think what the new crew at AAC is doing with this program is awesome. There are so many old cans out there that are just sitting and this is a factory option with warranty that bring those old cans back.

View Quote

I'll definitely keep this option in mind for the future. It seems like a really good option for updating the AAC can, but I'll most likely wait until there is a significant price drop or sale.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
wonder if they offer original tirant owners option to upgrade aluminum baffles all to heat treated stainless and if so how much $$$$
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
wonder if they offer original tirant owners option to upgrade aluminum baffles all to heat treated stainless and if so how much $$$$
View Quote

That is something AAC offers.

-New AAC Guy
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
@Torozmaster1

These things are legit, they look and feel amazing. Shooting them this weekend, thank you !
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
@Torozmaster1

These things are legit, they look and feel amazing. Shooting them this weekend, thank you !
View Quote

Enjoy!!

-New AAC Guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got my SDN-6 to Ranger 7 conversion back earlier this week. I'm excited to see if the reduced back pressure is a thing as the SDN-6 was def a high back pressure can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:03:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#14]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/7964/u5nPdo.jpg

556-SD upgrade to Ranger 5.

762-SDN-6 upgrade to Ranger 7.

Size comparison to SF SOCOM556-RC & Dead Air SMS762-MIL Sandman.

View Quote

1. Approximately how much length did they take off of each?

2. What mounts are you using?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

My first can is a Sico Specwar 7.62, big heavy tank that I never use. Would be good for a MG but I don't have one.
I wonder if the Stellite  / Inconel  baffles could be replaced with something lighter? Maybe cheaper to buy another Omega 30, wish that had been my first purchase.
Can a suppressor like mine be made shorter or does FATF frown on that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#16]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Can't speak for AAC, but we've got the TiRant covered.   It's $400 for 9mm, $425 for .45/.45M.   Little more if the cap needs to be replaced as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20210605_140403-2930704.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20220112_124919-2930705.jpg

We also have BPISTIN (SiCo, Rugged, etc) and Alpha compatible booster assemblies for the TiRant.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20210813_200755-2930708.jpg
View Quote

Can you offer me something resembling the 9M one using those old baffles?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter] [#17]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:

View Quote

Ranger 5  ~1.15 reduction in length

Ranger 7  ~.88 reduction in length

Don’t know what mounts I am going to use yet. Running them this weekend with the direct thread hubs that they ship with.
Probably will be some type of Taper Mount on the 5 and  Keymo on the 7, maybe Dead Air stuff but not set for sure on that.

Would be really nice to see AAC bring out a Taper System or new Fast Attach with the HUB interface that’s on these cans now.

-edit for spelling
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Don’t know what mounts I am going to use yet. Running them this weekend with the direct thread hubs that they ship with.
Probably will be some type of Taper Mount on the 5 and  Keymo on the 7, maybe Dead Air stuff but not set for sure on that.

Would be really nice to see AAC bring out a Taper System or new Fast Attach with the HUB interface that’s on these cans now.

-edit for spelling
View Quote

I would contact AAC and ask them. My local dealer has a "demo" pack from them that has a taper mount and looks like threads as well behind the taper. Wouldn't hurt to call or email them about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]

-edit for spelling
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

-edit for spelling

Appreciate it. I’d consider doing this but the thought of having to replace so many 51Ts is…

That said, I know it’s inevitable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Do you mean the original baffles we replace?

Baffles and other parts we replace are destroyed and go in the chip bins.
View Quote

Thats unfortunate. Really, I’d like to find one of the older Ti-Rants with Al baffles for the balance, and just because I don’t have any old-school K baffle cans in my collection. Probably an odd and unnecessary desire, given that the newer pistol cans do what I need. Stamp collecting is quite the disease.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Appreciate it. I’d consider doing this but the thought of having to replace so many 51Ts is…

View All Quotes

-edit for spelling

I picked up a 51T STAMP from the new AAC as I’m in the same boat with ~8+ uppers with pinned and welded 51T FH or MB mounts. Going forward I’ll use some different taper mounts, but I’m wed to them at this point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Can't speak for AAC, but we've got the TiRant covered.   It's $400 for 9mm, $425 for .45/.45M.   Little more if the cap needs to be replaced as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20210605_140403-2930704.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20220112_124919-2930705.jpg

We also have BPISTIN (SiCo, Rugged, etc) and Alpha compatible booster assemblies for the TiRant.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20210813_200755-2930708.jpg
View Quote

Ok-didn't know. Will keep this in mind. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Torozmaster1:

-New AAC Guy
View Quote

Ok-price? I don't see anything on that website.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Will need to reach out to TechInfo.  They can get your squared away.

- New AAC Guy
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I had them make my entire 9M to the all stainless steel baffles and i paid $400 before shipping. They had it completed within a day and back to my house all within 4 days of me shipping it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#29]
What's the difference in weight from the original aluminum baffles to the stainless? Both for the Tirant 9 and 45, non-M versions...
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Appreciate it. I'd consider doing this but the thought of having to replace so many 51Ts is

That said, I know it's inevitable.
View Quote
I assume you want something other than the STAMP 51t mount that screws into a HUB format suppressor - like the Ranger 7?

Yeah - they still sell it.
AAC STAMP
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine has been great.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter] [#32]

Good stuff man, how long have you had yours? Looks like you are staying with the DT hubs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Good stuff man, how long have you had yours? Looks like you are staying with the DT hubs.
View Quote

I've probably had it a couple months now. Put 200-300rnds through it, mostly abusive full auto.

It's dedicated to this upper, so not coming off for some time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Someone brought 2 ACC recores to the metering event. That data should be up in a few weeks at NFA Talk.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#35]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Someone brought 2 ACC recores to the metering event. That data should be up in a few weeks at NFA Talk.
View Quote

Which starter cans/rebuilds were brought there?

Thinking about getting my 51T FH wearing 6945 upper and the new SDN-6/Ranger 7 out today to re-zero the ACOG with my 77gr TMK handloads. I'm interested to see what, if any, change is in the POI with the new core as well as the reduced back pressure. Probably take the 18" DD out that's zeroed with the same load while I'm making a trip.

Hope to see no shift in the zero as I have ~8 uppers that were zeroed with the SDN-6 and I'm hoping to avoid a long day making major adjustments on every optic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#36]
It was the SDn6 ranger swap I am pretty sure. I am not super familiar with the recore names and models but there were 2 there.

That data will be dumped at NFA talk. It usually takes a few weeks before they upload everything. It has to be taken from paper sheets then placed in a CSV format.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
What's the difference in weight from the original aluminum baffles to the stainless? Both for the Tirant 9 and 45, non-M versions...
View Quote

That's a good question. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for Update# 2 in original post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Cool thread and updates.  Thanks op
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]

-New AAC Guy
View All Quotes

-New AAC Guy

Sent you an IM for help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenSuiter] [#42]
Bump for Sound Data update in original post.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I’d love to see some more anecdotal stories, especially with the changes to back pressure on the SDN-6.

I really like mine overall but it does seem to have high back pressure and disqualifies itself from some of my rifles that don’t have adjustable gas.  Trying to replace all my 51T mounts would cost way more than the $700 service, on top of many of them being the unicorn thread pitches that old AAC was happy to make.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#44]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
I’d love to see some more anecdotal stories, especially with the changes to back pressure on the SDN-6.

I really like mine overall but it does seem to have high back pressure and disqualifies itself from some of my rifles that don’t have adjustable gas.  Trying to replace all my 51T mounts would cost way more than the $700 service, on top of many of them being the unicorn thread pitches that old AAC was happy to make.
View Quote

The SND-6 is definitely a high back pressure rifle can and the part in bold ref the cost of swapping out 11 51T mounts which have been pinned and welded or Rocksett on is the main reason I decided to pony up $700 for the conversion.

ETA: I didn't realize I posted in a similar thread on SnipersHide ref the conversion, but forgot to put it up here. From last Friday when I got my SDN-6/Ranger 7 conversion out for the first time....

Finally got some free time to get a few rifles out to confirm zeroes with the new SDN-6/Ranger 7 can. I ran a factory 10.3” Colt 6945, 18” DD, and a 16” PSA KS-47, all with old AAC 51T FHs pinned and welded in place.

Even with the 51T STAMP in the back end of the can it’s an inch shorter than the old SDN-6 and the weight savings are noticeable. While there weren’t any major shifts in the zeroes, they all had to come down ~1” which makes sense as this can is probably not flexing the barrel down as much as the old SDN-6.

The real treat was the drastic reduction in blowback. Even on the 10.3” 6945 the rounds in the mag were nowhere as nasty as they’d be when shooting with the SDN-6.

I’m happy with the upgrade and think it was worth $700.

And I used the 6945 in a two-man 2 gun match this past Saturday and was, again, pleasantly surprised with the reduced blowback. I also had no issues with the 51T STAMP mount coming loose, even on the 51T FH that's on the Colt 6945 upper which is caked in carbon from thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:51:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#45]
Got back out with the SDN-6 to R7 converted can yesterday, this time on an 18” Larue UU and 12” PSA, both in 6.5G.

The 12” with pistol gas did not require any adjustments to the AGB, but the SLR7 AGB on the 18” with mid length gas needed the AGB opened up 3 clicks to get reliable cycling and LRBHO. Even with the AGB opened up 3 clicks the brass is still cleaner than before the mod.

I’m loving this thing. $700 well spent
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#46]
That Ranger 5 is no joke. Several tests I've seen, has it just slightly quieter than the Polonium!
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder two things:  

First:  Are they upgrading Mini-4s?

Second:  I had the 51T cut off and hub conversion done by Ecco.  Could AAC do the baffle stack upgrade without messing with the Hub?

I might check and see
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:
I wonder two things:  

First:  Are they upgrading Mini-4s?

Second:  I had the 51T cut off and hub conversion done by Ecco.  Could AAC do the baffle stack upgrade without messing with the Hub?

I might check and see
View Quote

I’d hit them up and ask both questions. I know there were some older AAC cans that couldn’t be upgraded, but I’m guessing the Hub transition wouldn’t be a deal breaker as they’re taking the SN portion and welding it to a new baffle stack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I’d hit them up and ask both questions. I know there were some older AAC cans that couldn’t be upgraded, but I’m guessing the Hub transition wouldn’t be a deal breaker as they’re taking the SN portion and welding it to a new baffle stack.
View Quote

That’s what I was hoping but in their email reply just now they said they wouldn’t upgrade the baffles if I wasn’t wanting their mount conversion also.  “All or nothing”
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:

That’s what I was hoping but in their email reply just now they said they wouldn’t upgrade the baffles if I wasn’t wanting their mount conversion also.  “All or nothing”
View Quote

Hello,

We can work on the Mini4s.  Due to the baffle design, we have to use a new main spacer for the stack to line up correctly.  Our spacer has the Hub thread built into it.  Unfortunately, it is all or nothing for the conversion.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

-New AAC guy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top