Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 12:17:41 AM EDT
I have a AAC Cyclone thread on and was wondering how well it preforms compared to todays suppressors. See I just upgraded what I have, bought a Rex 308 and a Surge X 308. I'm trying to figure what way I could put it to use.

1) I could find a host for it to live on.
2) Keep as a spare for friends on shooting trips.
3) Send out to get converted to a Hub compatible mount.

If I have Ecco convert it to a Hub mount I understand I would lose the first baffle, would it lose that much performance? Would it be worth it?
Having a spare for friends isn't a bad thing either.
Wondering how others put it to use as the new suppressors now are more versatile with current mounts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not great for gas operated or hand-held weapons.  I still love mine on a bench 308 bolt action.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SIGthusiast:
Not great for gas operated or hand-held weapons.  I still love mine on a bench 308 bolt action.
View Quote

Did you keep it original, a thread on? How did it compare with your other cans?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fmkenner:

Did you keep it original, a thread on? How did it compare with your other cans?
View Quote

Mine's original.  I can't say I've done an apples to apples comparison.  My other cans live on gas operated guns and are all louder than the bolt action.

I'd probably get a db or 3 less with a modern can but I'm satisfied for now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I had ECCO do the HUB conversion on mine. Still quiet. Still heavy. Still long. It basically lives on a bench gun now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By graysonp:
I had ECCO do the HUB conversion on mine. Still quiet. Still heavy. Still long. It basically lives on a bench gun now.
View Quote

See I'm wondering if the HUB conversation is worth it. I'm thinking it could be used for friends that don't have a suppressor, just a thread on. Or get a bolt action for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fmkenner:
See I'm wondering if the HUB conversation is worth it. I'm thinking it could be used for friends that don't have a suppressor, just a thread on. Or get a bolt action for it.
View Quote

I did mine because I was trying to standardize mounts as much as possible and I had another one to send them anyways. If you don't care about mount compatibility, then I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't save you much weight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]

I did mine because I was trying to standardize mounts as much as possible and I had another one to send them anyways. If you don't care about mount compatibility, then I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't save you much weight.
View Quote

^This

I don't see a benefit to changing this can.  Accept it for what it is and put it on a bench rifle.  That being said, my brother still threads his onto a 300BLK AR and does fine, but that's one heavy rig.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECCO_Machine] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Right now I use the cyclone on my 300blk with 9.5" barrel. Wasn't sure if I would keep it on or use something else. It does balance fine on the shorty, just not sure how it would compare to newer cans.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 2. One original and one hub converted by Ecco.

I wanted the option to use on my .556 ar with plan b but like others said.. still long and heavy so it stays on bolt guns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#12]
What generation cyclone? Original was plug welded.  Then updated to the 3(?) baffle welded core.  Final form was the many-baffle welded core.

The final form of the cyclone was very quiet, even by today's standards.  And VERY long.

Send it to AAC to get rebuilt to Ranger 7 specifications; you can have them rebuild it into a Ranger 7 (6.75"/17.2oz), Ranger 7-Mini (5"/12.1oz), or Ranger5-sized Ranger 7 (5.9"/15oz).  Turnaround for me was like a week and a half door-to-door.  All machined-inconel baffle stack with .300WM rating.  HUB threads.  But also comes with a spiffy direct thread mount with built in sacrificial brake.  Swappable flash-reducing endcap.  It's not for the poors... it's basically the cost of a Ranger 7, except they literally use your old can's serial number on the new can so you don't have pay $200 and wait for a new tax stamp.  If you just want HUB attachment and no other modifications, go with ECCO's  HUB conversion services; WAY cheaper but slower turnaround because I guess they process similar work orders in batches... but it will still be limited to .308 and still be high backpressure, if that's important to you.  If you're using it on a precision bolt action, then the backpressure and length/weight shouldn't be factors.  If you're using it on a semiauto... get it chopped, which is why my 9"/27.5oz SD sat in the back of the safe 99% of it's life when I got rid of my .308 bolt gun while the SDN6 got passed around to 3 different semiautos.  

I have a 762-SD (basically a 51T version of the Cyclone; same size) and a 762-SDN-6.  I sent in the 762-SD to AAC for the smaller-sized one and this is what I got back. I might send in my SDN6 for the same treatment, or maybe even the 5" mini variant.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Cyclone that I used to use exclusively on a 308 precision rifle. I have tried it on a 300 BO and found it to be very quiet albeit long and heavy. I hate the 5/8-24 thread as it takes forever to put on and take off.

Off to do research on the ECCO modification.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
What generation cyclone? Original was plug welded.  Then updated to the 3(?) baffle welded core.  Final form was the many-baffle welded core.

The final form of the cyclone was very quiet, even by today's standards.  And VERY long.

Send it to AAC to get rebuilt to Ranger 7 specifications; you can have them rebuild it into a Ranger 7 (6.75"/17.2oz), Ranger 7-Mini (5"/12.1oz), or Ranger5-sized Ranger 7 (5.9"/15oz).  Turnaround for me was like a week and a half door-to-door.  All machined-inconel baffle stack with .300WM rating.  HUB threads.  But also comes with a spiffy direct thread mount with built in sacrificial brake.  Swappable flash-reducing endcap.  It's not for the poors... it's basically the cost of a Ranger 7, except they literally use your old can's serial number on the new can so you don't have pay $200 and wait for a new tax stamp.  If you just want HUB attachment and no other modifications, go with ECCO's  HUB conversion services; WAY cheaper but slower turnaround because I guess they process similar work orders in batches... but it will still be limited to .308 and still be high backpressure, if that's important to you.  If you're using it on a precision bolt action, then the backpressure and length/weight shouldn't be factors.  If you're using it on a semiauto... get it chopped, which is why my 9"/27.5oz SD sat in the back of the safe 99% of it's life when I got rid of my .308 bolt gun while the SDN6 got passed around to 3 different semiautos.  

I have a 762-SD (basically a 51T version of the Cyclone; same size) and a 762-SDN-6.  I sent in the 762-SD to AAC for the smaller-sized one and this is what I got back. I might send in my SDN6 for the same treatment, or maybe even the 5" mini variant.

https://i.imgur.com/DeLe79Fh.jpg https://i.imgur.com/CBhxC7Rh.jpg
View Quote

AAC is unable to do that conversion on the Cyclone. I got that directly from AAC.

I have a Cyclone. It lives on a 18” barreled bolt gun. That is its ideal application .If I wanted to use a .30 cal. can on another gun, I would just buy another can.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 7N1x30:

I have a Cyclone. It lives on a 18” barreled bolt gun. That is its ideal application .If I wanted to use a .30 cal. can on another gun, I would just buy another can.
View Quote

After my initial excitement of finding this thread and doing some research, this is where I ended up. I bought my cyclone for a 308 precision application and since I still have that host, why mess with what is/was an excellent performing suppressor.

I just need to be patient waiting for the Griffin Explorr 30 I have in jail to use on my Jakl 300 BO SBR.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 7N1x30:

AAC is unable to do that conversion on the Cyclone. I got that directly from AAC.

View Quote

I also got that from AAC. Oddly enough, ECCO can re-core it (reduces some weight by~ 4 oz) and, if i understand correctly, they can also shorten it about an inch (additional weight reduction). All while adding a hub mount. :)

d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top