Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2022 6:07:42 PM EDT
I'll be calling ECCO next week on this topic (but I understand they're hard to reach) but just wondering if anyone's re-cored their AAC Cyclone specifically with the objective of reducing it's weight.

Right now mine feels like a boat-anchor on the end of my barrel...would be nice to get rid of 8 ounces or so!

Dh
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
@outrider has one I think
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What vintage is your Cyclone?

SilentMike
AAC for 20 years
Now Dead Air
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@outrider has one I think
View Quote

Bravo mount conversion only so a little heavier with components added.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bravo mount conversion only so a little heavier with components added.
View Quote

Lol so the wrong direction
@sixtysixdeuce
Could you weld on a titanium “front” forward of where the S/n is located?

Probably cost prohibitive OP
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@sixtysixdeuce

View Quote

Yeah a recore to save weight would probably be better spent on a new can. The cyclone still sounds great and having mount flexibility is nice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll be calling ECCO next week on this topic (but I understand they're hard to reach) but just wondering if anyone's re-cored their AAC Cyclone specifically with the objective of reducing it's weight.

Right now mine feels like a boat-anchor on the end of my barrel...would be nice to get rid of 8 ounces or so!

Dh
View Quote

I've had mine for years. It is a boat anchor. It sits in the back of the safe. I've sent several cans into ECCO now for recore and conversion. But I just can't justify the cost for titanum baffles, it would be the cost of a new can, and how much weight would it really save? Then I tell myself lets cut it down to a 6" K can. But ECCO won't do that. The most they will alter the length is 1".

Silentmike, help us cyclone owners!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@sixtysixdeuce

View Quote

There'd be no good way to do that,  Ti and stainless are not weld compatible, and the tubes aren't thick enough to support threads for being a blast chamber.  

It would be possible to do the in the same fashion I do Crux and Liberty cans, or others with very thin or compromised tubes, which is a new blast chamber and core, fully welded, with the original tube becoming a sleeve over the core, but using Ti would make that pretty spendy.  Material cost is part of it, with Ti being 2.3x the cost of 17-4 per length unit, but more importantly wearing out tooling faster and being about 40% slower to machine.   The result is Ti cans being 60%+ more expensive than stainless.

Also have to keep in mind that while 6/4 Ti is 40% lighter than 17-4, it's also 40% weaker (210KSI UTS vs 130 KSI).  The high strength of 17-4 H900 isn't needed in all applications,  so sometimes there can be major weight savings with Ti, but to make a Ti can truly equal strength to 17-4, you really can't save much weight.  I use Ti quite a bit where the material is plenty strong enough at the dimensional minimums the part requires, such as the booster housings in my Phoenix XLV, but if I use the same geometry to build an 8" Accipiter, it goes from a 16 ounce $550 full auto & .300 RUM rated can in stainless to an 11 ounce $850 limited semi auto rapid fire and .300 win mag rated can in Ti.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, what host are you using the Cyclone on?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 made in Lawrenceville GA AAC Cyclones that still sound great but they are heavy. I use them mostly on my bolt guns because of weight.

I had Ecco convert one to Hub thread to use other mounts as well:
weight before and after conversion.
Before = 653g, after 657g (with adapter installed)
Gained only 4 grams...

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, what host are you using the Cyclone on?
View Quote

Host weapon is a (Semi-Auto only) AAC 300 BLK with 9.5" barrel. The Cyclone makes it very muzzle heavy. I was hoping they could trim off a few inches from the front (right up to the Serial #), reweld the endcap and stuff it with lighter weight baffles. It is currently a thread-on can and I'd keep the stock thread on option.

If i could get a few inches shorter and 6-8 ounces lighter I'd call that a win, and would dedicate it to the 300 BLK Cartridge (i.e. no need for super strong 300 Win Mag -type pressures).

Buying a new can isn't an option because I've got an older (pre-41F) trust, i.e. I cannot purchase any NEW cans unless I rework the trust.

thx
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Host weapon is a (Semi-Auto only) AAC 300 BLK with 9.5" barrel. The Cyclone makes it very muzzle heavy. I was hoping they could trim off a few inches from the front (right up to the Serial #), reweld the endcap and stuff it with lighter weight baffles. It is currently a thread-on can and I'd keep the stock thread on option.

If i could get a few inches shorter and 6-8 ounces lighter I'd call that a win, and would dedicate it to the 300 BLK Cartridge (i.e. no need for super strong 300 Win Mag -type pressures).

Buying a new can isn't an option because I've got an older (pre-41F) trust, i.e. I cannot purchase any NEW cans unless I rework the trust.

thx
View Quote

What aspect of the trust requires it to be reworked? You could always do a single shot trust for a new can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thx
View Quote
Sounds like you have a great reason to build a super short 300blk bolt gun

But seriously, I'm in the same boat with a specwar 223. First suppressor I bought. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere around 23-24oz with the brake. So, no great options except to put it on a bolt gun or a heavy AR.  

Back in the cheap ammo trump days, I thought about shooting a case through it as fast as I could for science. But instead it sits in the back of the safe with like 300rds on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My Cyclone also is a dedicated bolt gun can.  Does exceptionally at that.  My brother still gets a workout and uses his on his 300 Blackout AR.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Cyclone on my Sako TRG.  I think you are attempting to shoe horn it into a role it really wasn't meant for and would be better off with a different can.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like a single shot trust and a 12oz 762 is the answer lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like a single shot trust and a 12oz 762 is the answer lol
View Quote
Yep, use a new trust and buy one of the many quality TI .30 cal cans on the market.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What aspect of the trust requires it to be reworked? You could always do a single shot trust for a new can.
View Quote

I copied my old trust to make a new one and removed wife so she doesn't have to do prints and photo.
Also Silencer shop single shot trust.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What vintage is your Cyclone?

SilentMike
AAC for 20 years
Now Dead Air
View Quote

Acquired in the year 2012
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Then I tell myself lets cut it down to a 6" K can. But ECCO won't do that. The most they will alter the length is 1".

FYI, you cannot permanently alter the length of a silencer without a new stamp. The ATF allows for nominal changes in length due to repair (which is probably why ECCO is willing to shorten up to 1" but no more), but you can't cut a can down to make a K can without a new stamp.

Basically, if it doesn't start as a modular can, you can't turn it into one or shorten it.

I have a Cyclone that's basically just relegated to bench guns. It's not worth it to modify or recore and you may as well buy a new can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top