Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uberti!  It is really sweet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one of those so bad.  Is that a Navy Arms repro????  I love it!!!!
LOLOL...you already mentioned that.  You must LOVE that gun!!!!

Who made your low wall?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Who made your low wall?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one of those so bad.  Is that a Navy Arms repro????  I love it!!!!

Who made your low wall?

It is a cool little gun.  I have another one In .44-40 and
a  Pedersoli Trap Door Springfield in .45-70.

The Low Wall is a Taylor’s/Uberti!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Low Wall is a Taylor's/Uberti!
View Quote
Damn it!  Now I want one!  I am saving up for Jeep truck...so no more guns for me this year!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't we already have an AR-15 Troubleshooting forum?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I Voted yes, I'll even volunteer to mod it.
Obligatory single shot rifle pic.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199178/IMG_20190101_155007_929-793820.jpg
MKII Martini Henry in 577/450
View Quote
Such a NEAT caliber!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
And now it's story time.  I took out again the little Savage made Favorite I bought for one of my lady friends.  I know it groups so I just wanted to have some practical fun with it before I give the gun to her...and this is how it went.

The Mouse (gun) that Roared!

I have a lady friend who is very petite.  She loves guns but it is very difficult to find GOOD guns that are easy for a petite girl to run comfortably.  One of the nicest little guns out there for this frame of person is the little Stevens Favorite; a small, rimfire rifle that has been made off and on in one form or another for about one hundred and thirty years now.  They were originally designed as "boy's rifles" back in the 19th Century and they are perfectly sized for a petite woman.

I recently picked up a Savage version of this gun called the 72.  Before turning over to my lady friend, I wanted to make sure it shot well, extracted well, etc.  I took it out to the desert this morning for a bit of impromptu shooting along with some other guns I needed to work on.  The target fodder for the day was empty shotgun hulls (which are never in short supply in the desert) and some empty soda cans.  

During a lull in shooting (I was sighting in those various projects) tossed a few empty cans against the wall of the deep wash that I was shooting in.  This little area is a semi popular spot and my dad and I spend a bit of time cleaning up others garbage when we shoot.  Just note that this is an area used by a few others for shooting.

After cleaning up our old detritus and leaving some new cans.  I grab the little Favorite and, intending to dispose of about 100 rounds of "odds and ends" rimfire that I have collected in a little rubber tub for the past 30 years or so, I begin to shoot.

Several rounds in, I have knocked a green "Schweppe's" can all about the berm.  This little rifle just shoots!  I carefully take aim over the hood of the Jeep.  I have this little can dead to rights for what I am thinking is the last time! Little did I know how right I was.

I get a great sight picture and squeeze the trigger.

The Favorite goes "pip"

The target goes, "KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The little green Schweppe's can disappears in an actual, "HAND TO GOD!" explosion!!!  It VAPORIZES!!!!

I immediately being to laugh, my dad says "What the hell was THAT?!?!?!?"

At first I thought it was one of those 1980s/1990s exploding targets ( the little carboard and foam ones ) from back in the day that was buried in the dirt.  Maybe something that someone had missed in the past.
Upon investigation of the crater.  Yes! A small crater! I found a lone shotgun wad and realized what I had done.

At some point, long ago, someone was trying to shoot the primer of a live shotgun shell.  They gave up and likely left the shell in the ground to be buried by falling dirt.

I had chased that can to a point that, when the bullet passed through it, the can was right in front of the shotgun shell. The bullet had to have hit the primer dead on because that thing detonated!  Whether the bullet went through the dirt or if the shell had been exposed by further shooting and the primer was hit directly, I will never know.

I just had to laugh that I had pulled off a childhood stunt that many, many have failed at and by complete accident!

I can't wait to hand this rifle over to my little friend and tell her to be proud of this rifle because it is more powerful that even I could imagine!

I can only imagine the initial look on my face when that little 72 "peeped" and the target vanished like it had been hit by a mortar shell.

Yet another reason why they are called, "The Favorite".  Great stories seem to follow them.

The grenade launcher in question:

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's pretty funny.
View Quote

It was one of those "awesome" moments that happens once in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing fancy but effective.  H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic in .45-70.  This is a strong action that can handle Buffalo Bore 405s at 2,000 fps and comparable handloads.

I drilled and tapped it for Talley QD rings/bases for a Burris 2-7x Scout scope with illuminated reticle for primitive weapons deer hunting, to be able to retain the receiver sight. We have a deer season that qualifies the .45-70 if in an exposed hammer single shot, and they don’t prohibit scopes.  The scope comes off for target shooting with the Lyman front target globe and Williams receiver sight.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a single-shot Mendoza .22 LR, that not even the folks on one of the Mexican gun forums had heard of.  Fixed bbl, tiny falling block hinged breechface that is locked by the top of the hammer when it falls.  The firing pins & extractors are built into the breechface.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing fancy but effective.  H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic in .45-70.  This is a strong action that can handle Buffalo Bore 405s at 2,000 fps and comparable handloads.

I drilled and tapped it for Talley QD rings/bases for a Burris 2-7x Scout scope with illuminated reticle for primitive weapons deer hunting, to be able to retain the receiver sight. We have a deer season that qualifies the .45-70 if in an exposed hammer single shot, and they don't prohibit scopes.  The scope comes off for target scooting with the Lyman front target globe and Williams receiver sight.

https://i.postimg.cc/507hzh1S/AE05-BFA2-6-ED2-420-A-9-BD7-68-FB46-DE64-D1.jpg

View Quote

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I did get my Sharps out again this weekend.  Opening the aperture definitely helped.  I think I am gonna go another .005" and call it good.

Once I settled into the gun, I was able to shoot a 1 and 3/4 inch, 5 shot group at 100.  Took me a bit to get into the groove with it.  I started with a 4 inch group....then a 3 inch group.  I just don't practice enough!

Regardless, there is nothing like a fine single shot rifle to get you into a nice, "Zen" place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Zen ,Thats funny , because the single shot Zen is really a thing .
I approach the whole thing differantly with a single shot , not alot differance , but different.

It doesn't matter if I am shooting my flnter or a single shot.22 .

Once the head phones go on , or plugs go in and I scrunch down behind the rifle on a bench  , my tinnitus lulls me into a transcendental ... focus .

It calls for quiet and a fine bead .

I've got some rounds if you'd like to go shooting .
Unfortunatly I have no place to shoot other than a range or up off of Table Measa in the crazy zone .

I would really like to put a couple of rifles , .38/55 Sharps,  and an 1860 Henry rifle on the bench . See what they can do .
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
@Rocklock.  Sent you a PM.  We'll try to make this happen in a couple of weeks.  I need to get more time behind my 1874....and my 1894 Stevens.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Just picked up a nice new single shot.  It's one I previously owned but stupidly sold, so I got another one.

Unfired, new old stock Ruger No. 1H Tropical in 416 Remington Magnum

Serial number puts it as made in 1998.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just picked up a nice new single shot.  It's one I previously owned but stupidly sold, so I got another one.

Unfired, new old stock Ruger No. 1H Tropical in 416 Remington Magnum

Serial number puts it as made in 1998.
View Quote

OY!  Have you every FIRED a .416 sporting gun?  Get ready.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OY!  Have you every FIRED a .416 sporting gun?  Get ready.
View Quote

Oh yeah!  The .416 Rem Mag is one of my favorite calibers.  I've had a Model 70 chambered in one, as well as a Ruger previous to the one I just got.  Perfect blend of power and velocity.  You can load down to 300gr bullets and get some real speed demons, or load up to 450 grainers and get some monster heavy hitters.  They also penetrate better than most of the .458 caliber rounds

Some guy did a penetration test with multiple big games calibers, I believe it was: .404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 450 Nitro Express, 458 Win Mag, 470 Nitro Express, 500 Nitro Express, 505 Gibbs, and 500 Jeffery.  The 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery had the most penetration.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh yeah!  The .416 Rem Mag is one of my favorite calibers.  I've had a Model 70 chambered in one, as well as a Ruger previous to the one I just got.  Perfect blend of power and velocity.  You can load down to 300gr bullets and get some real speed demons, or load up to 450 grainers and get some monster heavy hitters.  They also penetrate better than most of the .458 caliber rounds

Some guy did a penetration test with multiple big games calibers, I believe it was: .404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 450 Nitro Express, 458 Win Mag, 470 Nitro Express, 500 Nitro Express, 505 Gibbs, and 500 Jeffery.  The 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery had the most penetration.
View Quote

NICE!!!!!!!  .45-70 is my limit, these days though I found a gorgeous .50-90 I wanted but being on furlough, I had to pass on it.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I think it's a great idea!

Here's mine.  It's an 1873 Springfield .45-70 and the barrel and chamber are in very good condition.  The stock has a lot of wear from handling but everything else is in very good condition.  It looks like it was carried and handled a lot but not actually fired that much.  It is a cut down but was done well.  I had someone who was very familiar with these look at it and he said it was probably done in the 1800's as opposed to later when so many were surplused and cut down.  My guess is that it was obtained as a rifle in the late 1800's and cut down for use as a home defense/hunting carbine.  Hence the heavy amount of handling wear but little wear on the action and inside barrel.  It's a sweet little carbine.   I'd love to have a factory carbine but it wasn't in the budget.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think it's a great idea!

Here's mine.  It's an 1873 Springfield and the barrel and chamber are in very good condition.  The stock has a lot of wear from handling but everything else is in very good condition.  It looks like it was carried and handled a lot but not actually fired that much.  It is a cut down but was done well.  I had someone who was very familiar with these look at it and he said it was probably done in the 1800's as opposed to later when so many were surplused and cut down.  My guess is that it was obtained as a rifle in the late 1800's and cut down for use as a home defense/hunting carbine.  Hence the heavy amount of handling wear but little wear on the action and inside barrel.  It's a sweet little carbine.   I'd love to have a factory carbine but it wasn't in the budget.
View Quote

Would love to see that!
 Ah, there we go!  Took a minute for the pic to show up!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:
I Voted yes, I'll even volunteer to mod it.
Obligatory single shot rifle pic.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199178/IMG_20190101_155007_929-793820.jpg
MKII Martini Henry in 577/450
View Quote

Nice, got a MkIII hanging on the wall.

CD
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn it!  Now I want one!  I am saving up for Jeep truck...so no more guns for me this year!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a sweet gun but I have to send it back for misfiring....Attachment Attached File

Here I tried it twice...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did get my Sharps out again this weekend.  Opening the aperture definitely helped.  I think I am gonna go another .005" and call it good.

Once I settled into the gun, I was able to shoot a 1 and 3/4 inch, 5 shot group at 100.  Took me a bit to get into the groove with it.  I started with a 4 inch group....then a 3 inch group.  I just don't practice enough!

Regardless, there is nothing like a fine single shot rifle to get you into a nice, "Zen" place.
View Quote

See if you can track down an older Merit adjustable.  They adjust like the old single lens reflex camera apertures.  

For my AR NM  my eyes now need about 0.058”.     Smaller and anything less than full sun and the sight appears to have dust in it.  

My high wall clone is a Taylor Arms Uberti in .38-55.   That’s as much bullet and recoil as I feel like playing with although those .450/577 Martinis look neat.  I have enough fits with fitting the bullets to the highwall though, deep grooves like the originals not like the modern ammo,  I had to buy a custom fat mold and turn my own expander on my metal lathe.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a sweet gun but I have to send it back for misfiring....https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/109CE8A9-7B21-43D1-8174-BD06D10CD027_jpe-1469684.JPG

Here I tried it twice...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/408460EA-6E72-4CCF-98E2-2293496314B8_jpe-1469728.JPG

Looks a bit too much toward the center and is missing crushing the mix between the brass.  A little in is good for lighter springs to not have to work the solid brass at the rim edge.   I filed a M39a pin to not hit the outmost portion.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks a bit too much toward the center and is missing crushing the mix between the brass.  A little in is good for lighter springs to not have to work the solid brass at the rim edge.   I filed a M39a pin to not hit the outmost portion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a sweet gun but I have to send it back for misfiring....https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/109CE8A9-7B21-43D1-8174-BD06D10CD027_jpe-1469684.JPG

Here I tried it twice...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/408460EA-6E72-4CCF-98E2-2293496314B8_jpe-1469728.JPG

It’s a really sweet rifle, but I’m pissed it left the factory unable to fire. Taylor’s sent me a shipper and I will send it back Monday.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Dang it!  Who does Uberti think they are?  Chiapa??  Hope Taylor gets you squared away soon!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dang it!  Who does Uberti think they are?  Chiapa??  Hope Taylor gets you squared away soon!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me too because is is really sweet!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Me too because is is really sweet!
View Quote

Keep us posted.  It certainly looks like a new block with better firing pin location geometry is in order!!
(or a block lockup adjustment)
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s a really sweet rifle, but I’m pissed it left the factory unable to fire. Taylor’s sent me a shipper and I will send it back Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here I tried it twice...

Taylor’s seems to be good people.  I only have bought small parts to fit a vernier sight to my high wall.  Seems there is no standard thread size on reproductions.  

I look forward to the next firing review!

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Uberti in .303?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872021963
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Uberti in .303?

View Quote

Nice!

Browning had a .30-40 high wall about 15 years ago.  I saw one in a gander mountain store in one of those high end locked glass display cases.  I wish I bought it.   .30-40 is a near match to the .303 but has the best long neck for cast bullets.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

See if you can track down an older Merit adjustable.  They adjust like the old single lens reflex camera apertures.  

For my AR NM  my eyes now need about 0.058".     Smaller and anything less than full sun and the sight appears to have dust in it.  

My high wall clone is a Taylor Arms Uberti in .38-55.   That's as much bullet and recoil as I feel like playing with although those .450/577 Martinis look neat.  I have enough fits with fitting the bullets to the highwall though, deep grooves like the originals not like the modern ammo,  I had to buy a custom fat mold and turn my own expander on my metal lathe.  

View Quote
@SteelonSteel:  I am running right about there myself.  I am right around .060; I suppose.  I had to open it up a wee bit more.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice!

Browning had a .30-40 high wall about 15 years ago.  I saw one in a gander mountain store in one of those high end locked glass display cases.  I wish I bought it.   .30-40 is a near match to the .303 but has the best long neck for cast bullets.  

View Quote

I like the 30-40 Krag too.  CDNN still has the Winchester 1885 Trapper, but that 16 inch barrel is a bit off-putting.
I watched two of those Uberti .303's get sold on GB.  The first went for $1599 and the second went for $1379, at least that is a bit below their MSRP of $1729.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like the 30-40 Krag too.  CDNN still has the Winchester 1885 Trapper, but that 16 inch barrel is a bit off-putting.
I watched two of those Uberti .303's get sold on GB.  The first went for $1599 and the second went for $1379, at least that is a bit below their MSRP of $1729.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

I looked at those.  They have had them on clearance for two years.  They even raised the price a hundred bucks.  

Yep too short for that kind of rifle/caliber.   There is a reason that line went to the discount wholesalers.

Ideally I like a short shotgun butt, a pistol grip stock and the ladder sight rear that is on the trapper.  

That stubby gun would be nice in .22, 25-20, .22 Hornet, or .32-20.  Not .45-70 or even .38-55.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't  been shooting except indoors range the Peoria , since I've moved here a year ago .

I did get up to Baseline a couple times last fall .....

Now it's damn hot so ?

My new Sharps Little Betsy was test fired indoors , but that doesn't count .

I did get it ...zeroed.... so at least it should be on target at 100 yds .
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#39]
When I had been shopping for a BPCR I put an index card up with a Want to Buy at the two gun clubs I belong to.  After two months of no one contacting me I placed an order with CPA Rifles.  Then  ac couple of weeks later a club member stepped up with a Shiloh Sharps 1974 in 45-70.  The seller was a older guy who was damn near deaf with senility creeping in. Tells me he's bringing it to the club meeting to sell that night if I don't buy it.  Tells me it's a shotgun butt, pistol grip with a long barrel.  Exactly what I was looking for in a 45-70 or a 45-90.  I tell him I didn't hear from anyone so I special ordered a CPA 44 1/2 .  

Money had been tight.  I started a new retail business with a friend 23 months ago.  I ask him what he's looking to get an he tells me $800.00

I jump on it.  Even if CPA charged me a cancelled order fee (and they did not) I'm still getting a great deal.  I tell him I'll take it, sight unseen and meet him at the meeting that night.  I get there a bit late and he has the rifle out for sale with a $800.00 sign on it.  Why he didn't hold it for me and why no one else bought it from me will always be a mystery.  It maybe has 2" more barrel than I would have ordered but for $800.00 I'll deal with it .

He had other rifles for sale with current pricing.  I'm still puzzled but pleased.

I've only taken it to 500 yards but she shoots true.

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Wearing a Hoke rear sight and a Distant Thunder front.  Was shooting handloads with bullets cast by Buffalo Arms.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Uberti in .303?

View Quote

7lb 6oz in real life.  Maybe an Aimpoint 9000 for it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My .458 Lott, rechambered from .458 WM, by Rays Gunsmithing way back when... and while I don't know if it is a better penetrator then other calibers... it will shot through 39 1/2 inches of solid pine with a reloaded .458 FMJ steel jacketed 500gr Hornady.

Here are some bullets for giggles..
62gr M855 first, Barnes 600gr, the Hornady 500gr Steel jacketed fired bullet, Barnes Original 500gr X Bullet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/IMG_0339__2_-1470359.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/IMG_0340__2_-1470360.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/IMG_0338__2_-1470347.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!  I just got a No. 1 in 458 Win Mag NIB for a hell of a deal and am going to send it off to get rechambered to 458 Lott.  Gonna end up being cheaper than buying a used to No. 1 in 458 Lott as those usually command north of $1,500.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I drove to a range called Cowtown yesterday . Damn I need to buy something more than a Camry the dirt road is not in good shape .
Plus it's over 400 bucks a year ! Won't be joining that club .
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Well , it took a year , but my new reloading bench is almost ready .
I went to Cabelas yesterday and found an RCBS  # 2 shell holder , for my Little Betsy .33-55

I can't find alot of my stuff after moving . And I can not find my good powder measure . So thats on the To Get list also .

Powder seems unobtainable now , I have some  IMR 4895 and IMR 3031 and H 110 I dont think I'll mess with the H 110 as I would need a bunch of filler , since there wouldn't be squat for density .

I will order some bullets from Bear Creek , they have 250 gr and a 310 Postell bullet . She has a 1-12 rate of twist so it should stabilize about anything .
That big ol Postell bullet is too cool looking to not try . Looks like a torpedo hanging hanging out of the case .

Open to any pet loads you'd like to tell me about . I have Goex Black as well , but Im not sure I want to put a residue of it all over the insides ?

Almost forgot , I did join The Phoenix Rod and Gun Club . It seems to be a very nice range , but today was 115 , it maybe Sept. before I work up the nerve to go ......
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Both CowTown and PRGC are excellent facilities, with CowTown being one of the few places you can regularly shoot out to 1,000. But the $400/year fee and the hour and a half drive are a mood killer for me, so I only ever go out there for the monthly long range matches. PRGC, on the other hand, is only about 20-30min for me (traffic depending), so I think I may sign up. I'm a C2 Tactical member right now, but the Covid crap is kind of killing the indoor vibe right now. That, and it's pretty useless for anything other than pistols, IMO. We'll see.

As for single shot rifles and a subforum dedicated to them, I voted yes! At present, I don't have any, but I've had several in the past (and regret having to sell any of them!). I've had a few BSA Martini Internationals (a MKII and a MKIII), a GORGEOUS CZ/Brno Effect Full Stock in .243, and a very nice E.D. Brown M97D in .223AI. All were sold to pay off some debts and help fund a career change, unfortunately. I wish I could have them all back, but especially the Effect FS. That thing was incredibly gorgeous and unique! I'll have another at some point down the road, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Im going to PRGC on Monday to pay next years dues .
BTW there is a 75 dollar initiation fee , and 100 a year . I doubt I'll shoot anything , but I'll go wander around .

So I am going to buy some .38-55 bullets . I slugged the bore and it is .3765 dia. , I'm thinking to order .378 bullets .

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
BTW there is a 75 dollar initiation fee , and 100 a year . I doubt I'll shoot anything , but I'll go wander around .

So I am going to buy some .38-55 bullets . I slugged the bore and it is .3765 dia. , I'm thinking to order .378 bullets .

View Quote

@Rocklock:  should be fine, particularly if jacketed. (see my IM) 0.379" is the convention for cast projectiles.

@QCMGR: did Taylor's get you set back up yet????  I am anxious to hear how your rifle turned out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Rocklock:  should be fine, particularly if jacketed. (see my IM) 0.379" is the convention for cast projectiles.

@QCMGR: did Taylor's get you set back up yet????  I am anxious to hear how your rifle turned out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it back after about two weeks. So far she’s good as new. I only test fire a few rounds but it looks like they recontoured the Firing pin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I got it back after about two weeks. So far she's good as new. I only test fire a few rounds but it looks like they recontoured the Firing pin.
View Quote

Huh...how bizarre. Well, as long as she ignites positively and runs good.....all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Glad you got her back!!!!

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Huh...how bizarre. Well, as long as she ignites positively and runs good.....all's well that ends well, I suppose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it back after about two weeks. So far she's good as new. I only test fire a few rounds but it looks like they recontoured the Firing pin.

Me too!
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#50]
My other single shot.  This is my Remington 514 and is the first non-BB gun I've ever owned.  I think I was around 9 years old when I got it.

I was with my dad one day when he was visiting a friend of his.  Long story short there was this little kid sized rifle leaned in a dark corner covered in dust.  For some reason I was fascinated by it.  The guns owner noticed me looking at it and asked me if I wanted to buy it for $10.  I was bumfuzzled because grownups just don't ask little kids if they want to buy guns.  I looked over at my dad and he said "it's up to you, if you want it tell him".  I walked over to my dad and whispered "I do want it but I don't have $10" (which seemed like a fortune to me).  My dad started laughing and said "I think I can cover that for you" and handed me a ten dollar bill.

The little .22 was already old and well used by the time I got it.  The front sight was broken so my dad got me a 4X Bushnell scope that Christmas.  He took the gun and had it drilled/tapped for rings and had the scope mounted.  He would always laugh that it cost more money to make it usable than the actual rifle cost.

A year after I got this rifle my dad bought me a little H&R Topper Jr. .410 single shotgun so I was quite pleased with my Arsenal at the time.  Sadly the next year my father died and my world collapsed.  Many years later someone stole the little H&R which broke my heart.  Fortunately I still have the first of my guns and it's still a great little shooter.  The wire crosshairs in the original Bushnell broke so ive replaced it with a 4X Nikon.  

It's not fancy and has little monetary value but it's priceless to me.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top