Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2019 10:59:06 AM EDT
I am considering setting up a Trust to purchase some suppressors. I have done a ton of reading regarding the process but still have a few questions.

As I understand it, there are no name requirements for a Trust. Is that correct?

Is engraving required when a Form 4 is used to acquire an item?

My plan was to start with a .30 Cal rifle suppressor (Energetic Vox w/ Dead Air Key-mo). Is that a good first choice?

NFA is new for me, any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Trust name requirements are generally state law. Should include (typically end with) the word trust. Keep it short because you need to engrave the entire thing with no abbrev. "1776 Trust" is an example of a good trust name.

Form 4s don't require engraving, the original mfr already did that.

Yes a 30 cal can is an excellent first can. I highly recommend a 22 rimfire can -- I keep buying more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You are engraving the receiver, barrel, or suppressor tube because you are the "manufacturer" and thus required to engrave the name, city, and state.  This is when you use a Form 1.

A Form 4 is for the transfer of an item that has already been manufactured and registered with the BATFE/NFA Branch.  You would not engrave an item that is already manufactured and registered.  For example, if you want to make an AR receiver you already own into an SBR, you fill out the Form 1 and send off with required documents and payment.  When the Form 1 is received back approved, you engrave your name/trust name with city and state on the receiver in a certain font size and depth (see ATF regs).  If you want to purchase a factory built and thus factory registered SBR, you would have it transferred to your Class 3 dealer on a Form 3 and then fill out a Form 4 with the required documents and payment.  Since the factory registered/built SBR has the manufacturer name, city, and state on it, it does not require further engraving.  It would look like any other AR you own, but would be an NFA firearm.  When the Form 4 is received by your dealer approved, you go to your dealer to complete the transaction and take the SBR home.

Many folks purchasing their first suppressors buy a .30 cal that can be mounted on different weapons using the quick detach brake/flash hider mount.  They also buy a rimfire suppressor.  The reason for the separate rimfire suppressor is that .22LR is a very dirty caliber with a lot of powder residue and unburnt powder that builds up on the baffles/internals.  It is considered wise to get a rimfire suppressor that is "user serviceable" meaning it can be taken apart to clean the internals.  If you use a centerfire suppressor on a rimfire, you will fill it with residue much faster and most centerfire suppressors are not user serviceable as it's not as important of a feature as it is in rimfire suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are engraving the receiver, barrel, or suppressor tube because you are the "manufacturer" and thus required to engrave the name, city, and state.  This is when you use a Form 1.

A Form 4 is for the transfer of an item that has already been manufactured and registered with the BATFE/NFA Branch.  You would not engrave an item that is already manufactured and registered.  For example, if you want to make an AR receiver you already own into an SBR, you fill out the Form 1 and send off with required documents and payment.  When the Form 1 is received back approved, you engrave your name/trust name with city and state on the receiver in a certain font size and depth (see ATF regs).  If you want to purchase a factory built and thus factory registered SBR, you would have it transferred to your Class 3 dealer on a Form 3 and then fill out a Form 4 with the required documents and payment.  Since the factory registered/built SBR has the manufacturer name, city, and state on it, it does not require further engraving.  It would look like any other AR you own, but would be an NFA firearm.  When the Form 4 is received by your dealer approved, you go to your dealer to complete the transaction and take the SBR home.

Many folks purchasing their first suppressors buy a .30 cal that can be mounted on different weapons using the quick detach brake/flash hider mount.  They also buy a rimfire suppressor.  The reason for the separate rimfire suppressor is that .22LR is a very dirty caliber with a lot of powder residue and unburnt powder that builds up on the baffles/internals.  It is considered wise to get a rimfire suppressor that is "user serviceable" meaning it can be taken apart to clean the internals.  If you use a centerfire suppressor on a rimfire, you will fill it with residue much faster and most centerfire suppressors are not user serviceable as it's not as important of a feature as it is in rimfire suppressors.
View Quote
This is a really good and complete answer for you. You won't regret the decision, but you will regret waiting because you have to wait so long to get the stamps and start the fun.

And, make plans for a handgun specific can after those first two.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are engraving the receiver, barrel, or suppressor tube because you are the "manufacturer" "maker" and thus required to engrave the name, city, and state.  This is when you use a Form 1.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My plan was to start with a .30 Cal rifle suppressor (Energetic Vox w/ Dead Air Key-mo). Is that a good first choice?
View Quote
Depends upon what firearm you want to put it on, and what features are most important to you weight, sound reduction, POI changes, modularity, cost, etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends upon what firearm you want to put it on, and what features are most important to you weight, sound reduction, POI changes, modularity, cost, etc.
View Quote
I want something that is versatile and lightweight, can be used on multiple firearms, while giving decent sound reduction. I don't shoot from a bench often so a full size doesn't seem to be a good fit.

The plan is to use it on AR platform rifles.

Cost is not a big factor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top