Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 1:40:07 PM EDT
I believe it was dryflash who mentioned doing this. Maybe I was wrong. I googled and googled. No dice.

I have a 22tcm/9mm pistol that I want to try this with. 22tcm uses a case that is almost identical to 556 brass so extraction should not be an issue.

I am going to order some #10 shot (couldn't find #12). I have already made 45 acp shot shells out of 308 brass and 41 mag dies.

My question is what dies would I need? Any tips or tricks or anything would help.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have made .45 shotshells from .308 brass.

Google .45 shot shells from .308 brass

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
https://i.imgur.com/8Pddledl.jpg

Guilty as charged.

Cut down 223 case. 

It's great when you have a 300 blk case with a cracked neck, that was cut down from a 223 case originally.

So a 223 case lives 3 times. As long as the primer pocket remains tight.

https://i.imgur.com/EGvsy1Yl.jpg

Almost the same thing as making 45 ACP shotshells.

I used a 32 H&R Mag sizing die to form the shoulder.

Got them to function in my CZ 85.

Going to shop in a little while and will gather the rest of my info including loading data. Back tonight.
View Quote

Welp, found something else I need to do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
https://i.imgur.com/EGvsy1Yl.jpg

Ya, every knows about that. 

Trouble is the powder charges didn't work in my 1911, so I experimented until I had a load that functions 100% of the time.

That's how I started and wanted to expand my shotshell making to 9mm.

So  I did.

https://i.imgur.com/f8oH49Yl.jpg

Cut 223 cases to 1.05, final trim was 1.00 after annealing and forming the shoulder.

Used a 32 H&R Mag sizing die, adjusted real short for that.

All of these loads were shot from a CZ 85, have no idea what they would do in a Glock as I don't have any Glocks.

Powder Charges; NOTE there is no published data for this and I experimented to find a charge that would function. Use this data at your own risk.

Note 2, there comes a point where the powder takes up too much room in the case and leaves you little space for the powder.

Weighed the shot charge that would fit into the case and got an average of 63 grs.

So I decided that 90 gr 9mm data would be a good place to start from and work up.

I started with True Blue. no surprise if you read my posts.
Got up to 6.0 grs, Load shot ok but didn't function. Scratched True Blue. See note 2.

Clays 3.0 grs shot ok, didn't function. Scratched Clays.

Bullseye, I had high hopes as that is what I use in 45 ACP shotshells.
Started at 4.0 grs and worked up to 6.2 grs where it almost functioned. 
My charge in 45 ACP is 7.0 grs so I was getting nervous and didn't go any higher. So scratched Bullseye.

Started TiteGroup at 2.5 grs, shot ok no function.
Tried 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0 grs. Again shot good no function.
Next outing tried 5.2 grs and got intermittent cycling.
At 5.4 grs got 100% function. I have now settled on 5.5 grs TiteGroup as my standard load.

Notice in the pics the wads I punched out. After charging with powder a wad is placed over powder and pressed down with the dowel.
I use a 5/16 punch, but started with a sharpened 357 case, but picking out the wads was a pita.

Then the shot is added until it completely fills the case. Case should be inside a pan or lid to catch the shot that is trying to escape. 
Press the shot down with the dowel and place final wad over shot.

Then crimp the mouth with a 45 ACP RN seater die. A little at a time, lowering the die so I do 4 crimps to get the results you see.

If you don't anneal the cases you can't get a crimp.

Crimp does 2 things. Keeps shot in case. I don'rt use any glue or wax, but you could if you wanted to.
Second gives a nice rounded neck so round feeds like a FMJ bullet.

As expected the 9mm shotshell is no where as good as the 45 ACP shotshell.

But up to about 10 feet it eats beer cans up.
View Quote

Knew I could count on arfcom.

Looking over your testing, I am hoping bullseye will work for me as I have a bunch of it and it almost worked for you...

I have an 8lb spring for my 1911 that I use when  shooting 22 tcm. It feels like nothing after pulling back the 14lb spring on the 45. May get me function with bullseye.

Really, I just want to be able to blow up some cans, and maybe a squirrel or a murder hornet.

I plan on making a bunch more 45 acp shot shells as well, for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious if .40 S&W shotshells could be made with 10mm brass?  How would one resize the neck?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
"I use a 5/16 punch, but started with a sharpened 357 case, but picking out the wads was a pita."

Drill a hole through the primer pocket so you can push the wad out with a small dowel or punch.

I used this technique when I was making wax bullet loads years ago...
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
Just curious if .40 S&W shotshells could be made with 10mm brass?  How would one resize the neck?
View Quote

I found that cutting down 6.8 SPC works better as the brass holds up better.  10mm Mag brass cut sown would work though. It just likes to fold instead of form it might still be better in low volume if you are willing to lose a few cases.
6.8 brass ain't cheap.

40 S&W blank neck form die from C&H would put the neck on the case that you need.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn’t have any luck with 556 brass out of my Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel.  It would not extract consistently.  I came across some 9mm Win Mag brass which I’m working on now.  I necked these down using a 30 Carbine die.

For 40 S&W I plan to use a small amount of some 10mm Magnum brass I have since it will allow a little more length over regular 10mm Auto.  My plan is to use a 357 Sig die to neck these down.

I did the same for 38/357 by using some 357 Maximum brass.  I necked these down using a 30 Carbine die as well.  I had a few pieces on hand and they worked well so I bought a bag and loaded some for my brother and I.

All of these cases will have to be trimmed, but they allow you to start at the maximum length and work backwards in order to maximize the shot loaded.  Be sure to anneal before forming.

Finally, I did 45 ACP rounds using cut down 243 brass and neck sized using a 41 Mag die.  On these, I used an inverted gas check in place of an overshot card.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried a plain base gas check as an overwad. Didnt work any better than paper wads.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#15]
subscribed
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#16]
So I got my shot I had ordered and cleaned up my bench and found my old shot shell casings I had made for the 45 over a year ago.

6 gr of bullseye let me hold about 130gr of shot max. Could not get consistent ejection.

Moved up to 6.5 gr with about 125gr of shot. Same issue.

7 gr of bullseye let me hold about 120gr of shot and it was the worst yet.

So, I moved down in charge to 5.5 gr of bullsye. This let me have 147 gr of #12 shot. Nailed it. Only had 1 failure to eject and it was the brass, not the load.

I found that my nose crimp was better and more consistent with a dillon 556 powder funnel for the dillon Powder measures. I could get them to crimp good in a single pull.

I tried a 357 case, a 9mm case and a 40 s&w case to make wads with. The 40 was just a hare too big but worked great for the under shot wad with a nice tight fit. I had to work them into place for the over shot wad. The 357 and the 9mm were too small for both applications.

Shot a few clay pigeons with them. Fun times.

I will do 9mm tomorrow I think.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Am I an idiot for wondering if this would screw up rifling in a non-polygonal barrel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Am I an idiot for wondering if this would screw up rifling in a non-polygonal barrel?
View Quote

Lead shot is about as soft of lead as you will find besides pure lead.

Worst case senario, you lead your barrel a bit and have to clean it. I will take a look at mine before I shoot any real bullets through it.

But, I am not very worried.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lead shot is about as soft of lead as you will find besides pure lead.

Worst case senario, you lead your barrel a bit and have to clean it. I will take a look at mine before I shoot any real bullets through it.

But, I am not very worried.
View Quote

Ah lead shot. I was thinking steel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not following, an expander let you crimp in 1 pass? More info please.

What are you shooting your 45 Shotshells in?

Mine were fired in a 1911, and it took 7.0 grs Bullseye for reliable function.

Enjoying this thread and hope to learn more with this off the beaten track load.
View Quote

I am shooting a Springfield armory 1911 GI.

I feel like the higher the powder charge, the less shot I was able to load no matter how hard I tried to settle the shot. The lighter shot load made the weapon short stroke. The more shot I was able to load, the better my function seemed to be.

Lowering the powder allowed me to load more shot, and while my velocity may not be super high, function was good. I am using FC 308 brass, I hope the capacity is good with that brand.

I am not using an expander funnel with the dillon PM. I am using a powder funnel made for 556, but it is turned upside down (may have forgotten to mention that earlier) so the taper is down. No powder is in the PM obviously, and the taper is nice and steep and makes a good taper crimp over the cardboard.

I will hopefully get some more work done in this little project tomorrow unless the sun comes out. Then, I may get stuck doing firewood.

One of the shot shells I made.  Looks crooked because of the wad coloring.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Some of my fun today with the 45s. The more I do, the more tricks I figure out. These are a labor of love for sure.

A sharpened 40 s&w case in a cordless drill cuts wads very fast. But, you can only do about 6 before it gets full.
Attachment Attached File

So, I stop and pic them out with a scribe.
Attachment Attached File

The 41 mag die I use. No decapping pin. I decap when I resize with the standard 45 acp die first. Then 41 mag for the neck.
Attachment Attached File

After priming and charging, you have to manually seat each wad.
Attachment Attached File

I get the wad placed with a decapping pin I had laying around and then use a 38 spc brass to hold down pressure evenly while I tamp down the powder.
Attachment Attached File

More to come.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the fastest way I found to get close to my charge of shot. 147 gr. Each piece of shot is almost .1gr.
Attachment Attached File

This is the dillon powder funnel I use upside down. I actually stack 2 of them in the die to give me proper crimp. They are both dillon "B" funnels.
Attachment Attached File

If I were to attempt to make a lot of these, I would set this up I on one of my 550s, but for just a few, the rock chucker gets it done.
Attachment Attached File

Use the same 38spc case to help get that top wad to get under the rim.
Attachment Attached File

Final case. Did 15 of them today I think. All the cases I had.
Attachment Attached File

Next is my misadventures in 9mm shot shells...
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]
For 9mm, I was kinda excited. Things went downhill from there.

I sorted out 25 FC 556 cases from my brass stash. Then, cut them down to 1.10ish inches. I tried to trim them, but my 9mm pilot was too big, so I expanded the case mouths with a 9mm expander and then got them trimmed to about 1.050". Camfered and debured them.

Next, I busted out my new 327 mag dies. But, could not get the expanded brass into it, so i ran them through a 556 die. Still no dice in the 327 die. I checked the bullet sweater die for 327 and it is nicely beveled and I ended up with the brass in the middle and the one on the right is sized to final size using the sizing die.

Attachment Attached File

Then, I trimmed again, I found that a 30 cal pilot was just a tad too tight on these so I ran a 30 cal expander ball into a piece and checked it in my chamber. Fit fine. So, trimmed, camfered and debured.

I used a piece of 556 brass cut down to about .8" and sharpened to cut the under shot wads and a 308 case expanded with the 327 expander and sharpened for the over shot wads. Both worked great for their applications.

This is where I stopped taking pics. Primed the cases, started at 4gr of bullseye with as much shot as I could fit in the neck.

I used the same method of crimping as I did with 45 with good success.

4gr, no ejection, 5 gr, no ejection, 6 gr no ejection, 6.5gr, no ejection. 3 gr, no ejection. The amount of shot changes with each charge but everytime, I put as much shot as possible in the case.

So, I swapped out my 12lb spring to an 8 lb spring. Still no ejection.

Time to try a different powder. Tightwad is the fastest powder I own. It isn't super popular, but I have 3/4 of a pound of it.

Stated at 3 gr. No ejection, 4 gr, no ejection, 5 gr got me a stovepipe. Thought I was getting close. 5.5 gr, no ejection.... this testing was done with the 8lb spring...

So, I gave up for the night. I will fire form the rest of my brass later and try the fire formed brass next time with tightwad and the 8lb spring.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
38 Special case to tamp down wads.

https://i.imgur.com/WjE0Y6Kh.jpg

I use a short piece of wood dowel and a light plastic mallet.

Thanks for the pic of the B die.
View Quote

I wish I had a dowel laying around. I just seem to look around me when I need a tool and choose the closest thing at hand.

Someday I will get my act together. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you have any TiteGroup to try in 9mm?

I settled on 5.5 grs. Started to function at 5.2 grs.

Fired in a CZ 85.
View Quote

I am shooting a full sized 1911 in 9mm. Maybe my slide mass is too much for it?

I do not have any titegroup sadly. I know it is quite popular. But I have pounds and pounds of bullseye and unique and 231.

Never felt the need to add another powder. I still don't know why I have tight wad.

I may try unique and 231 later on. Worst case scenario, I have to single shot my 9mm shot shells until I can get my hands on a few different powders like titegroup to try in it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top