Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2020 11:08:57 AM EDT
I've been round and round about this and I need to stuff 4.875" of Cups or RSC's or something to best suppress a 9mm AR.  It will primarily live on the 9mm AR but I might move it over to a 300blk every now and then.  The tube is from a DM ASR kit and it came with the real crappy "Top hat Style" baffles they included.  Those sucked and I didn't drill them.  Wanting to put the best I can in there.  I can get about 8(assuming 1/2" skirt on a 60 cone) or so in there but I'm not sure what is the best to use.  

I keep seeing people say K styles because of the low velocity and I've reviewed over at Form 1 boards but can't really get a straight answer.  

I will be buying these.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, lots of views and no opinions?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You're lacking a lot of info. While some of us have been making silencers for quite a while, not everyone is up to snuff on solvent trap parts. I don't know what a DM ASR kit is or a top hat baffle is. Where are you getting your 4.875 number from? Is this your tube length? What is your tube length? What is your tube OD, ID, what's the baffle profile?  Also, I must divide 1/2" into 4.875 differently than you (I get 9 and change). You say 9mm, but pistol, PCC? Are you running a booster? So much information that would otherwise help us...help you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're lacking a lot of info. While some of us have been making silencers for quite a while, not everyone is up to snuff on solvent trap parts. I don't know what a DM ASR kit is or a top hat baffle is. Where are you getting your 4.875 number from? Is this your tube length? What is your tube length? What is your tube OD, ID, what's the baffle profile?  Also, I must divide 1/2" into 4.875 differently than you (I get 9 and change). You say 9mm, but pistol, PCC? Are you running a booster? So much information that would otherwise help us...help you.
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance.  The kit I purchased is here: https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/sico-asr-advantage-kit/  

The DM Cones look like this:

There is a built in blast chamber in this tube so if I measure from the end of that to the threads I get 4.875".  I  was assuming a half inch skirt on a cone/baffle/etc but some are 3/4 of an inch so I know that can very which is why i said 8'ish.

No booster here as it will live on my PCC AR-9.  The tube OD is 1.5" and the ID is 1.375" and the overall tube length is 6.75".  

I'm not sure what you mean by baffle profile unless that's the question I'm asking...What baffles should I use in a 9mm can?

Again, forgive my ignorance on this just trying to figure out which is the best baffle to use for a 9mm suppressor as this is my first form 1 suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
60° cones with a double radiused clip has consistently performed best with subsonic stuff according to my 2209 and my ears.

If you have 4.875" to work with, I'd get 9 or 10 of them in there, and use a piece of flat stock to align the clips.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
662 summed it up, nicely.
I'd add that you'll have a huge blast chamber, for 9mm, and might get a good amount of FRP (First Round Pop). If you weren't planning to run a brake or flash hider w/ QD mount, I'd consider it. It'll take-up some BC volume and help mix the gases when they enter the BC environment. Other ways to mitigate, but they start to get more complex.

One more thought is you could put this tube to the side and use it for a future rifle suppressor. Get a tube w/o a premade blast spacer, so you can fit more baffles and get them closer to the muzzle.

Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
60° cones with a double radiused clip has consistently performed best with subsonic stuff according to my 2209 and my ears.

If you have 4.875" to work with, I'd get 9 or 10 of them in there, and use a piece of flat stock to align the clips.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you.

Quoted:
662 summed it up, nicely.
I'd add that you'll have a huge blast chamber, for 9mm, and might get a good amount of FRP (First Round Pop). If you weren't planning to run a brake or flash hider w/ QD mount, I'd consider it. It'll take-up some BC volume and help mix the gases when they enter the BC environment. Other ways to mitigate, but they start to get more complex.

One more thought is you could put this tube to the side and use it for a future rifle suppressor. Get a tube w/o a premade blast spacer, so you can fit more baffles and get them closer to the muzzle.

Just some food for thought.

I was planning on using a flash hider and the ASR QD mount.  The first baffle would be very close to the Flash Hider from my simple calculations.

I need to do a good bit more reading it seems.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are building an all titanium 9mm can you wouldn’t want to use K’s IF you wanted to also use the suppressor on higher pressure centerfire rounds. Ks don’t handle forward thrust well without beefing them up.  60 degree cones or radials work well from 9mm subs to supersonic centerfire.

Those top hat cones can have that leading face feature trimmed off with a lathe leaving something like an RSC cone.  A collet might be sufficient to hold, but more likely you’d need to have a machinist make a mandrel and fasten with a pilot bolt.

You can probably sell those cones since internals are scarce right now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are building an all titanium 9mm can you wouldn’t want to use K’s IF you wanted to also use the suppressor on higher pressure centerfire rounds. Ks don’t handle forward thrust well without beefing them up.  60 degree cones or radials work well from 9mm subs to supersonic centerfire.

Those top hat cones can have that leading face feature trimmed off with a lathe leaving something like an RSC cone.  A collet might be sufficient to hold, but more likely you’d need to have a machinist make a mandrel and fasten with a pilot bolt.

You can probably sell those cones since internals are scarce right now.
View Quote

I was looking at them last night and thought something similar.  

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not put some feelers out and see if you can sell the kit, complete?
Just start fresh, with a new tube and proper baffles/cups.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not put some feelers out and see if you can sell the kit, complete?
Just start fresh, with a new tube and proper baffles/cups.

View Quote

I'm leaning more toward that now...

What are your thoughts on components for a good 9mm can?  Overall length, what type of baffles?  Again it will primarily live on this PCC shooting 147grain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top