Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2018 3:18:09 PM EDT
Just got a Ruger PC Carbine with a 16.1” barrel.

I know you can get 200+ fps out of the longer barrel.

I know a Blue Dot is one of the slowest powders avaiLable for the 9mm.

What happens when you use a slower power in a longer barrel? More fps!

Anybody have any loads they use using Blue Dot,124-147gr loads?

I checked ballistics by the inch and it only shows 100fps gain in the 147gr class (from a 5” to a 16” barrel)

I bet I can get more than that using Blue Dot.

Any pet loads?

On another forum, a poster got 1,600+ fps out of a 124gr bullet. That’s over 700ft/lb and approaching 10mm out of a pistol, not bad for 1/2 the powder charge!
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
like my 357 magnum 16" carbine,  you have to consider that pistol JHP's are engineered to expand and penetrate at a certain velocity window.

if you exceed the velocity it was designed for, it may under penetrate and fragment on impact

Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

like my 357 magnum 16" carbine,  you have to consider that pistol JHP's are engineered to expand and penetrate at a certain velocity window.

if you exceed the velocity it was designed for, it may under penetrate and fragment on impact

View Quote
Understand. It also means it will expand past 100 yards.

My 158gr XTP’s out of a 20” barrel and Lil’ Gun do wonders at 1,900fps!

357 mag carbine and revolver gel test: Underwood 158 gr XTP
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested to see how it chrony's

here's what I have from an old thread I posted...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/favorite_9mm_115gr_XTP_max_velocity_load__/42-471488/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

9mm 115XTP 1.093" 4.25" M&P

7.2gr Power Pistol 1367 fps

6.5 UNIQUE 1393 fps

8.5 BlueDot 1382 fps

5.7 WSF 1221 fps.

---------------------------------------------

124gr XTP 1.093"

7.9 BlueDot 1300 fps

5.8 UNIQUE 1269 fps

5.7 PowerPistol 1118 fps

6.7 HS6 1185 fps

* these are max loads, taken from Load data books like SIERRA, Lyman, Speer, etc, or reputable websites like http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/..... as always, work up with caution and common sense.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm interested to see how it chrony's

here's what I have from an old thread I posted...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/favorite_9mm_115gr_XTP_max_velocity_load__/42-471488/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

9mm 115XTP 1.093" 4.25" M&P

7.2gr Power Pistol 1367 fps

6.5 UNIQUE 1393 fps

8.5 BlueDot 1382 fps

5.7 WSF 1221 fps.

---------------------------------------------

124gr XTP 1.093"

7.9 BlueDot 1300 fps

5.8 UNIQUE 1269 fps

5.7 PowerPistol 1118 fps

6.7 HS6 1185 fps

* these are max loads, taken from Load data books like SIERRA, Lyman, Speer, etc, or reputable websites like http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/..... as always, work up with caution and common sense.
View Quote
Loaded up some 124gr cast/powdercoated bullets. Starting at 6.6gr upto 7.6gr.

1.12” COL cci Small Pistol primers. Win brass.

Won’t post results for almost a month. Can’t open my Father’s Day gift until, Fathers Day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I loaded 7.8 grains Blue Dot under a 124 grn Hornady FMJ-FP and chronoed 1240 FPS from a 2nd Gen Glock 17.

Very accurate!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried BD in my hi-point carbine many years ago when I had it and I got top velocities from power pistol (and 90gr gold dots with PP was a hoot!) but truth be told the most fun I had with that carbine was with a 158gr swc cast bullet (yes a 38/357 bullet sized .356) over 3.2gr of W231(hp38 same thing) it was quieter than a 22lr shooting bulk ammo, punched perfect clean holes in paper and hit with authority!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried BD in my hi-point carbine many years ago when I had it and I got top velocities from power pistol (and 90gr gold dots with PP was a hoot!) but truth be told the most fun I had with that carbine was with a 158gr swc cast bullet (yes a 38/357 bullet sized .356) over 3.2gr of W231(hp38 same thing) it was quieter than a 22lr shooting bulk ammo, punched perfect clean holes in paper and hit with authority!
View Quote
Ohhh! I have some cast 158gr flat points for for 38spl/357 mag.

I can size them down.

Loading ‘em up tonight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In a blow back system, really boils down to how you tension adjust the action via recoil spring to keep the bolt forward at ignition, and to control the stoke as well.

In a AR 9mm system since I can increase the mass of the buffer over that of just the weight of the 9mm buffer, and even swap over to a extra tension recoil spring to keep the cycle in check on the blow back system for hotter loads, I run 9 major loads all the time using HS-6.

The fact that I can not find extra tension recoil springs for the Ruger PC Carbine, I would be reluctant to run +p loads through that rifle isntead.

So really boils down to how the rifle does factory recoil sprung with Blue dot loads, and if the action just seems like it over functioning and beating itself to death instead with the slower burning power loads.

Also to note, your playing with a case capacity, verse lenght of barrel problem, so although is may seen that the slower burning power should be able to get the bullet going faster, this only works when you have the case volume to pull it off.  And again, you need to control the cycle of the rig with stronger ammo, so the action is not betting itself to death instead.
View Quote
I’m sure by the time I beat up the recoil spring there will be aftermarket springs available.

I’m sure Wolff has a spring for a different Gun that a little digging around could be used for the PC Carbine too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can size them down.

Loading ‘em up tonight.
View Quote
make sure you do the plunk test before loading a bunch. I remember I had to seat them a hair deeper due to the front driving band. I lost my first log book during a move so I don't have the COAL I used. only reason I remembered the charge weight is it's the same as I load for my wifes 9mm loads with a 158 berry's rnfp. I want to say it was in the 1.12" realm but don't hold me to that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
make sure you do the plunk test before loading a bunch. I remember I had to seat them a hair deeper due to the front driving band. I lost my first log book during a move so I don't have the COAL I used. only reason I remembered the charge weight is it's the same as I load for my wifes 9mm loads with a 158 berry's rnfp. I want to say it was in the 1.12" realm but don't hold me to that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can size them down.

Loading ‘em up tonight.
Will do, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can size them down.

Loading ‘em up tonight.
I did the plunk test in my Glock barrel. 1.011” COL I DID A 1.13” COL  but the round did not back out easily.. That means the bullet has hit the rifling and would cause excessive pressure correct?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I want to use Blue Dot. There is not a lot of room in the casing. For a 147gr bullet and Blue Dot I found 5.9gr max from Lyman Cast Bullet handbook 4th ed.

Should I start at 4gr Blue Dot?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
that bullet looks alot like the lee 158-rf I have? plugged the #'s into quickload and I don't think blue dot is going to do it for you. it shows 4gr @ 120% capacity and only 18.7k psi and 719 ft/sec. for example the 3.2gr W231 I run shows 43.5K psi which is +p++ or basically proof level loads. now change the coal to 1.12 and pressures drop 21k and 823 ft/sec (hmm sounds familiar ehh? ala 45acp scaled down)

Now did you size those .356 yet? i'm assuming their PC'd? what may be going on is the PC is adding enough thickness on the nose of the bullet that it may be engraving into the rifling. I would try a naked .356 sized bullet and see what Coal you come up with. but to answer your question if your jamming the bullet into the lands then yes it will raise pressures. if it's just the PC causing it to stick persay then i'm not sure if that would raise pressures to a great degree, which is why i'd be curious where a naked bullet ends up.

so in short deep seated bullets is a recipe for disaster. if a naked bullet will allow you something 1.1+" you should be in good shape. how you tried 45/45/10 lube? it could be an option if the PC is causing the issue.  for example with a 1.12" you could run 5.4gr of blue dot at 100% load density 18.1k psi and 828 ft/sec.

all of the above is factored on the lee 358-158-rf from a 4.6" barrel and is based off of a software program so use the data at your own risk.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
that bullet looks alot like the lee 158-rf I have? plugged the #'s into quickload and I don't think blue dot is going to do it for you. it shows 4gr @ 120% capacity and only 18.7k psi and 719 ft/sec. for example the 3.2gr W231 I run shows 43.5K psi which is +p++ or basically proof level loads. now change the coal to 1.12 and pressures drop 21k and 823 ft/sec (hmm sounds familiar ehh? ala 45acp scaled down)

Now did you size those .356 yet? i'm assuming their PC'd? what may be going on is the PC is adding enough thickness on the nose of the bullet that it may be engraving into the rifling. I would try a naked .356 sized bullet and see what Coal you come up with. but to answer your question if your jamming the bullet into the lands then yes it will raise pressures. if it's just the PC causing it to stick persay then i'm not sure if that would raise pressures to a great degree, which is why i'd be curious where a naked bullet ends up.

so in short deep seated bullets is a recipe for disaster. if a naked bullet will allow you something 1.1+" you should be in good shape. how you tried 45/45/10 lube? it could be an option if the PC is causing the issue.  for example with a 1.12" you could run 5.4gr of blue dot at 100% load density 18.1k psi and 828 ft/sec.

all of the above is factored on the lee 358-158-rf from a 4.6" barrel and is based off of a software program so use the data at your own risk.
View Quote
Thanks for responding. Yes, it’s the Lee 158gr RF for 38spl/357 Mag.

I powder coated them then sized them down to .356”.

1.12” COL? 5.4gr of Blue Dot?

I’m also going to be shooting this out of my Ruger PC Carbine. I know Blue Dot will maximize velocity than say CFE PISTOL.

I can try another plunk test but to verify, in my picture from my post above, the rim of the 9mm casing should sit just below the back of the barrel as pictured correct? I should also be able to rotate the casing in the chamber and it should pull out easy correct?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is 1.11” COL.

Attachment Attached File

1.036” COL chambered.

The 1.036” COL is only 0.022” shorter than a cast 147gr bullet.

So could I move up to 4.5 to 5gr of Blue Dot?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:.... recipe for disaster. ....
View Quote
I would not use those 158gr in a 9mm

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I can try and run the numbers this evening at the 1.036" but I'm going to assume your just not going to have enough room for powder. the 1.11" is definitely a no go with that bullet in that barrel. you can try and do the same test once you get your carbine. it could be very possible my hi-point had a very generous throat. or the PC is causing the bullet to be to large in diameter in the throat region. when you sized was it sizing the bullet ahead of the crimp groove? if so that could very well be your problem. you could try a naked bullet like I mentioned earlier to just rule things out.

I personally have switched to the 45/45/10 tumble lube for my pistol shooting as its so simple and works. easier than PC'ing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can try and run the numbers this evening at the 1.036" but I'm going to assume your just not going to have enough room for powder. the 1.11" is definitely a no go with that bullet in that barrel. you can try and do the same test once you get your carbine. it could be very possible my hi-point had a very generous throat. or the PC is causing the bullet to be to large in diameter in the throat region. when you sized was it sizing the bullet ahead of the crimp groove? if so that could very well be your problem. you could try a naked bullet like I mentioned earlier to just rule things out.

I personally have switched to the 45/45/10 tumble lube for my pistol shooting as its so simple and works. easier than PC'ing.
View Quote
I shoot 357 mag out of a lever action and multiple rifles so PCing is not a big deal.

I think you’re right about the PC rubbing the rifling just before the bullet is in the case. I see rub marks on it. Probably a non PC or a 1x PC bullet would fit. The bullets you see are double PC’d.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.... recipe for disaster. ....

Why? They would be cheap semi effective defense bullets. Flat head bullets crush tissue as opposed to rounded or spritzer that move tissue away.

Not as effective as fragmentation nor HP but a cheap step above FMJ?

I know what you’re saying and appreciate your concerns. I like to use existing equipment and repurpose them if I can. I’m a fan of maxing out utility. (safely of course)

This might be more than I can chew. I’ll plunk test my Ruger PC Carbine tonight. What I would get out of an unimpressive 4” Pistol (700fps) might be decent out of a 16” barrel (800fps+) with 4-5gr of Blue Dot powder.

Pretty efficient, I could also consolidate my 9mm plinking and 357 mag cast loads.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I would use them.

180grn. 9mm cast bullets have been done.

Bob King - who used to run King Bullets - sold 180s sized down to .356 for use in IDPA and Uspsa.  Loading velocity was above minor - but low.

The old 38/200 load used a lead 200 grain bullet in a rather weak-framed .38 revolver.

The bullet weight is not an issue.

The issue is peak chamber pressure.

OP - I would load these as long as possible.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I suspect the Meplat is too thick to feed in a semi auto.  ( it would be awesome if they do )

And if you seat them short enough to pass the plunk-test, there's not much room for blue dot.

why not get some of these...

http://www.bayoubullets.net/9mm-147-gr-fp-500-ct/

http://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-147-grain-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I suspect the Meplat is too thick to feed in a semi auto.  ( it would be awesome if they do )

And if you seat them short enough to pass the plunk-test, there's not much room for blue dot.

why not get some of these...

http://www.bayoubullets.net/9mm-147-gr-fp-500-ct/

http://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-147-grain-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-jqlmm51h/products/106/images/416/147_Green__51784.1401115024.1280.1280.png?c=2
View Quote
I could but that’s cheating.

I have plenty of lead I want to process and cast/PC as much rounds as I can.

Wanted to use existing equipment but I might have to buy a heavier 9mm mold.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]
ran your numbers a 1.036" and not much better 3.8gr of BD is 100% capacity and only 648 ft/sec from a 4.6" barrel (800 from 16")

however now your back into safe territory with my ol standby with w231 (hp38) 3.2gr is 34.7k psi (within sammi pressures) and 891 ft/sec from a 4.6" and 1015 from a 16"

one thing i'd like to mention is with BD your probably going to have unburned powder and it will likely be dirty. there just isn't enough pressure to get a good burn.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ran your numbers a 1.036" and not much better 3.8gr of BD is 100% capacity and only 648 ft/sec from a 4.6" barrel (800 from 16")

however now your back into safe territory with my ol standby with w231 (hp38) 3.2gr is 34.7k psi (within sammi pressures) and 891 ft/sec from a 4.6" and 1015 from a 16"

one thing i'd like to mention is with BD your probably going to have unburned powder and it will likely be dirty. there just isn't enough pressure to get a good burn.
View Quote
Thanks for running the numbers. I might just run regular 9mm bullets. I don’t have any unloaded coated cast bullets right now, next time I make some I’ll leave them alone and see if they chamber at 1.12 COL.

Thanks again. I’ll post velocity numbers when I have a chance. I have some cast 125gr PC’d 9mm rounds ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top