Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2019 2:03:30 PM EDT
I have a 922r question I have never seen discussed, might have missed it.

Let's talk CZ Scorpion as the focal point as it is a frequent 922r weapon and easily configured to be compliant.

You have a CZ Evo Pistol, you have the 922r factory kit, let's say you change the; trigger, disco, grip, flash-hider, follower, and mag floor plate, boom done, fully compliant (obviously assuming you are doing a SBR with stamp in hand).

Here lies the question, you are out shooting, fully compliant, and you change from a 20 rd 922r mag to an original factory 30 rd mag. Are you in violation of the 922r law.

It seems you are in violation but I am not sure.  Case in point, you have a short upper <16" laying around and no way to legally configure it (like no pistol lower/no spare lower, just rifles), you could run afoul of the law. If you have a way to legally configure your short upper, no worries. The fact that you can easily swap mags back to legal configuration on your CZ, is that a legal loophole.

YES, I know ATF is not taking guns apart in the field, checking parts, etc but this could be a real issue. I shoot on public lands and have run into various Game Wardens, etc who want to play 20 questions. Hey, the farmer down the road said he saw your shooting at his cows. Need to take this as evidence until we can straighten out the facts . . . .
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a letter saying that inserting a mag doesn't equal assembling a weapon. But I don't remember fully
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just doing some poking around, lots of ATF letters can be found here;

922r related guidance, often in conflict, surprise

This thread answers the questions but seems based on opinion & ATF guidance not law

Spotted this; It is a FACT that 922r only makes assembly illegal. Possession of a non-922r-compliant-assembled firearm is TRULY not illegal.

Seems like an opinion not a fact, at least do not see where it was supported
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Nope...this has never been addressed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope...this has never been addressed.

That seems to be what I have read and I am not planning on being the test case.  Of all the laws, the many laws, this is one stupid fucking law. USA made grip, A OK, SAME EXACT grip made overseas, FELONY

Excerpt from here;  Discussion

If you are modifying a firearm that has already been made compliant, be careful. Changing a single part could land you in hot water with the feds.

Magazine parts—This is the most important item of the list. The body, follower and floorplate each count as one compliance part, but it comes with great risk. Swap a magazine or get caught with the wrong magazine, and you could find yourself holding a ticket for a one-way trip to the federal pokey.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here lies the question, you are out shooting, fully compliant, and you change from a 20 rd 922r mag to an original factory 30 rd mag. Are you in violation of the 922r law.
View Quote
Addressed decades ago.  Here is one recent example -> https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-general-discussion/172404-922r-question.html

Magazines are part of 922r, a typical Magazine has 3 parts that can be be swapped for compliance - body, follower, floorplate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all who commented.

More comments welcome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Seems like the answer is right there in question 2.  Removal and reinstallation of parts does not constitute “assembly” as long as parts ARE NOT replaced with other parts.  If you need the magazine parts to make your rifle compliant, and you change to magazines with all foreign made parts, your rifle is no longer compliant.

Look at it another way.  Assume the Scorpion has 16 parts total from the list of parts that go into 922r compliance.  For a compliant gun, only 10 at most of those parts can be foreign.  How many US Parts is irreverent, what counts is the number of non-US parts.  If a US magazine counts as 3 parts, then that means a loaded 922r compliant Scorpion must have 10 foreign parts and 3 US parts in or on the gun itself.  With no magazine in the gun, the gun is still compliant since the foreign parts count stays at 10.  Put a non US mag with even 1 foreign part in the gun, and now the gun has over 10 foreign parts and is no longer compliant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
SBRs don't have to comply with 922r... just sayin...

and for the love of God, don't write a ton of letters to the ATF to confirm or we'll end up with another sig brace fiasco.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SBRs don't have to comply with 922r... just sayin...

and for the love of God, don't write a ton of letters to the ATF to confirm or we'll end up with another sig brace fiasco.
View Quote
I assume you are referring to the fact SBR are banned under 922(l), not 925(d)(3) but the current interpretation fixing the flaws in the actual law says it does:

(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes

edited several times due to UBD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top