Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2018 7:47:36 PM EDT
When did lower colors get darker?   I have a M16 roll marked lower in transfer that looks pretty much a dull black.   Does not look like a refinish.  I have looked at other 9 million serial guns that also were very dark.
Anything to be concerned about?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wondered if there was an actual change in color.   I was in the Army in the early 80's  and all the rifles I saw were black.

The M16 I have in transfer has the paint splotch still at the bolt catch, so I'm confident it is original finish.
Thanks Tony
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wondered if there was an actual change in color.   I was in the Army in the early 80's  and all the rifles I saw were black.

The M16 I have in transfer has the paint splotch still at the bolt catch, so I'm confident it is original finish.
Thanks Tony
View Quote
Paint splotch?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When the roll pin for the bolt catch was installed,it often left a bare aluminum spot from the punch.   Assembler would then dab a "splotch" or "spot" of black or grey paint to cover the bare spot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When the roll pin for the bolt catch was installed,it often left a bare aluminum spot from the punch.   Assembler would then dab a "splotch" or "spot" of black or grey paint to cover the bare spot.
View Quote
I was asking because I genuinely wanted to know.  I just got my unfired 9.4million SN M16A1 recently, and it has the bare aluminum in that spot.  Looks like it never got the dab treatment.

Also, my receiver is pretty dark, and the roll mark depth is uneven.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, could have just didn't get the paint added.  The one I have in transfer is M16 roll marked.  It's pretty even in depth.    It's 902xxxx serial range
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
my 1984-85 M16a2 is grey.....ive got a new 14" socom colt upper..its black

there was a color change from grey to black at some point in the late 80's early 90's.....its one way to ID a refinish

i believe if you have a black transferable colt M16a2 and its black vs grey you have a refinish...ive seen plenty for sale...some have A3 features...some have post 86 colt roll marks....most of those NIB ones seemed to be correct....some clearly were post 86 guns that some how got in the registry....

one thing to look for...open the trap door---you should find a piece of paper with your serial # on it...i think some stickers...these should look 30 years old

here's mine with a BCM upper on it...notice the color difference----also take note--if yours is NIB its full of grease....when i cleaned mine the color lightened up

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
My Colt M16a1 is a medium grey, 1979, 926866x.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have seen many mil surplus M16A1 uppers that were coated black over the gray.
What is the coating and how best to remove it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:03:16 AM EDT
[#10]
As someone who has been around a long time, ya I'm getting old, from the Colt semi auto AR15s the color change came about 1994/95. I still have 2 target sporter and a competition HBAR made in 1993 that are gray. There're  the same gray as the SP1 I bought in 1979.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top