Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 6:58:00 AM EDT
Where can I buy some d size 9.5 inch carbon tubes at a decent price. I have been trying to buy them from apogee but it will not let me checkout.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Why when there's Ti and SS out there?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Carbon fibre is not great for sound suppressors.  A little bit of heat and it will get soft.  Attaching it to metal is a non-trivial problem.

I've made some 22 rimfire cans using CF tube and in the end, it was no lighter than aluminum tubing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i'm quite sure the OP is talking about carbon steel
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'm quite sure the OP is talking about carbon steel
View Quote
Or he could just go to the gym if he wants to lift weights.

I can only imagine how heavy and unweildy a carbon steel tubed can would be LOL!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or he could just go to the gym if he wants to lift weights.

I can only imagine how heavy and unweildy a carbon steel tubed can would be LOL!
View Quote
Depends alloys like 4140 are much stronger than Ti which means you can run them thinner thus offsetting the weight penalty. You have to run finer pitch threads to get them thinner though which often is advised to run longer thread tennon's which adds the weight right back  But for a welded can I wouldn't be afraid to run .035-.045 4140 on a non full auto use can.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I can only imagine how heavy and unweildy a carbon steel tubed can would be LOL!
View Quote
Carbon and stainless weigh w/in 1% of each other. Plenty of commercial cans are available in all SS designs (some include super alloys) and come in around and under a pound.

One of my form 1's is 100% 17-4 and is right at 16oz.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Depends alloys like 4140 are much stronger than Ti which means you can run them thinner thus offsetting the weight penalty. You have to run finer pitch threads to get them thinner though which often is advised to run longer thread tennon's which adds the weight right back  But for a welded can I wouldn't be afraid to run .035-.045 4140 on a non full auto use can.
View Quote
Take care to denote that heat treatment is critical for most martensitic alloys to achieve their high strength.  17-4 is one of the few which exceeds Ti in the annealed state.  Annealed 4140 has a tensile yield strength of only 60 KSI, lower than 7075-T6 aluminum, 1018 mild steel, 304 SS, 316ss, gr. 9 Ti, and less than half the strength of annealed 6/4 Ti.

Therein lies the appeal of titanium alloys and 17-4 stainless to many form 1 guys; the materials are very strong without any treatment, no need for carefully controlled processes as you would need to realize the potential of high carbon steels, nickel steels, chromoly, maraging steels or martensitic stainless grades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top