Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 12:57:59 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me more about this ammo.  
Does it have problems with split necks/brittle brass?
I recently came across an ammo can full.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Shot some of the same stuff last weekend...
- Some didn't fire at all and a fellow Mauser owner recommended to upgrade the firing pin spring to mitigate the issue
- Almost all of them hang-fired...  primer fires takes a 1/10 second and then the powder ignites
- Out of the 20 I shot I had 4 cases that have been very brittle and had cracks after firing  (they did eject like all others - no stuck bolt or anything like that)

I'm not shooting the rest of them for now and just keep them in the stash...
I have other Mauser ammo that works better / more reliable and I'll use this first.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If they were hangfiring I don't even know that the heavier spring would help that. Sounds more like the primers are gone, they are after all 81 years old. I would simply pull the bullets and dump the powder into a newly primed case, make for easy reloading since you already have a pre-measured powder charge.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot some of the same stuff last weekend...
- Some didn't fire at all and a fellow Mauser owner recommended to upgrade the firing pin spring to mitigate the issue
- Almost all of them hang-fired...  primer fires takes a 1/10 second and then the powder ignites
- Out of the 20 I shot I had 4 cases that have been very brittle and had cracks after firing  (they did eject like all others - no stuck bolt or anything like that)

I'm not shooting the rest of them for now and just keep them in the stash...
I have other Mauser ammo that works better / more reliable and I'll use this first.

View Quote

Ive got a shit ton of this I havent shot but I have also heard the heavier or new spring helps as the primers are hard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre-war yugo ammo I have sold to collectors in the past for $15-20/box.  I would sell it off or trade it for better stuff to shoot with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pre-war yugo ammo I have sold to collectors in the past for $15-20/box.  I would sell it off or trade it for better stuff to shoot with.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies.   I am going to try selling the ammo instead of shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pre-war??
Headstamp says "40" = firmly puts it IN the WW2 era
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pre-war??
Headstamp says "40" = firmly puts it IN the WW2 era
View Quote

Pre-war for the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.  Their war started and ended in April 1941.  The importance for people collecting Yugo/Serb militaria and other nationalities like Polish, is that it is pre-communist.  Polish collectors will buy anything Polish, but the preference and value is Pre-war > Nazi-marked > Communist
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top