Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2023 2:49:50 PM EDT
I have a bunch of 8mm surplus. I think all of it is Romanian and Yugo. I just have one Kar98, having sold off the rest of my Mausers.

I was thinking about semi-auto guns that shoot this round and remembered the Egyptian FN Model 1949s were chambered in 8mm. I love the FAL and always wanted an FN-49.

How rare are these in this chambering?  Are they ammo sensitive?  

These seem like they would be easier to field strip and clean than a Hakim (since all I have is corrosive primer ammo)
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I enjoy mine.  Avoid Turkish ammo.  Yugo and Romanian are fine.  Recoil is manageable. I scoped one of the two I own and get 2-3 MOA most times I take it to the range. Very simple to clean.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoy mine.  Avoid Turkish ammo.  Yugo and Romanian are fine.  Recoil is manageable. I scoped one of the two I own and get 2-3 MOA most times I take it to the range. Very simple to clean.
View Quote
Thanks! Good news.

Do these have an adjustable gas system?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
They're out there but not super common.  Unlikely you will find one under a grand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're out there but not super common.  Unlikely you will find one under a grand.
View Quote
Yeah, I figure I'm going to have to pay to play, just based on their relative rarity.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Every FN 49 is worth getting.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You feed the 49 with stripper clips?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You feed the 49 with stripper clips?
View Quote

All the Model 49 variants are fed with stripper clips except the ones modified by the Argentine Navy. The Argentine Navy re-chambered their Model 49s to 7.62 NATO and also modified them to use a removable 20 round box magazine similar to the one used on the FN FAL rifle.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Do the Egyptian models use standard 5rd Mauser clips?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do the Egyptian models use standard 5rd Mauser clips?
View Quote

Kind of. Due to the depth of the FN-49's receiver, you will need the clips with the three nubs on either side, and then grind the outer nubs off leaving only the middle one.

I think the ones I had were Ecuadorian.

The Egyptian I owned years ago was a 2 MOA gun with Yugo 196 surplus and a little better with my 185 Core Lokt reloads. Very fun rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kind of. Due to the depth of the FN-49's receiver, you will need the clips with the three nubs on either side, and then grind the outer nubs off leaving only the middle one.

I think the ones I had were Ecuadorian.

The Egyptian I owned years ago was a 2 MOA gun with Yugo 196 surplus and a little better with my 185 Core Lokt reloads. Very fun rifle.
View Quote
Thanks!

That's not bad accuracy at all. I'd be very happy with that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just be aware, that some of the Century Arms cobbled together Egyptian 8mm FN 49s actually had 30-06 bolts.  As a result, some had head space problems, and will blow primers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one. They are a pretty cool rifle. I still need to sort mine out as it tears cases right now. I bought the FN49 tool and will need to do the adjustments when I have the time. I haven't fed it with stripper clips as I don't really have any that fit. If you can fine one for a good price, they are not a bad rifle to pick up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Solid, fun rifle. You can adjust the gas system, or turn it off entirely. Tilting bolt system ala the FAL, Svt-40, SKS. If you get one, read up on the two piece firing pin recommendation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tilting bolt system ala the FAL, Svt-40, SKS.
View Quote
They do remind me of a big battle rifle SKS.

I always wondered if Simonov knew of Saive's design when he was designing the SKS. Apparently Saive was prototyping this back in the mid to late 30's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of the Century Egyptian guns also had black plastic buttplates on the stocks since they ran out of OEM pieces. They often show up broken in the wild.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
There was one in the EE for sale.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Never could get two of my FN49's to run consistently with a variety of ammo. Wish I could have as I have a ton of different 8mm , but dang those things gave me fits until I sold them off.

Oh well , neat blurb in the evolution of modern firearms.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never could get two of my FN49's to run consistently with a variety of ammo. Wish I could have as I have a ton of different 8mm , but dang those things gave me fits until I sold them off.

Oh well , neat blurb in the evolution of modern firearms.

View Quote

On the one I had, some buffoon- possibly one of Century's Drunken Monkeys- had taken a grinder to the mouth of the chamber. Couldn't get three rounds off consecutively- failures to feed and extract. I had my gunsmith swap in  a NOS 8mm barrel and it ran without issue.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there any way to easily identify one that has been molested by Century Arms?

For example, if I'm buying one online?

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Late to the party but if OP is still taking opinions, I just shot a buddy's Egyptian at a local C&R match and expected a shoulder thumper but the recoil was actually cushy and pleasant, with a long and smooth recoil cycle. Never thought that'd be possible with 8mm but the mad lads at FN made it happen.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All the Model 49 variants are fed with stripper clips except the ones modified by the Argentine Navy. The Argentine Navy re-chambered their Model 49s to 7.62 NATO and also modified them to use a removable 20 round box magazine similar to the one used on the FN FAL rifle.
Gary
View Quote
Ackchuyally, it's completely different from a FAL magazine.

I just saw this thread pop up and somehow I hadn't read it.

OP, the prices on the 8mm ones have gone up substantially.  I understand that you have a pile of ammo, but I'd rather sell it and then find one in .30-06 or .308.  You'll wind up with one that functions better and thus enjoy it more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They do remind me of a big battle rifle SKS.
I always wondered if Simonov knew of Saive's design when he was designing the SKS. Apparently Saive was prototyping this back in the mid to late 30's.
View Quote
The FN-49 is more akin to the SVT-38 (or SVT-40) and there are questions about which was conceptually developed first, and if one copied the other.
I've never heard of any solid evidence either way so Idk.

The SKS (and its predecessor, the PTRS-41) were unquestionably Simonov designs AFAIK.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to own a Venezuelan FN49 in 7x57.  Once I adjusted the gas on my rifle, I would use the grenade cutoff at the bench and use it as a straight pull rifle.  No need to chase my brass on a public range.  B square used to make a mount that replaced the rear sight and I mounted a Leupold M8 4x scope to it.  It shot very nice and totally reliable.  The Belgium's put it on par the M1 in Korea.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top