Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 7:55:22 PM EDT
I'm a carbine guy through and through but I still feel a properly setup shotgun is important to have. I've got an 870P I'd like to mount an optic to. We've got Aimpoint T1s on our 14" 870s at work mounted with drilled and tapped rails and I've been pretty happy with them, but then again I really don't have experience with much else in the way of optic equipped shotguns. My questions are as follows.

1) what is the best way to mount an optic to an 870? Saddle rail or a drilled and tapped rail?
2) If a drilled and tapped rail, who would you recommend to do the work? Rose Action Sports seems to have quite the following here.
3) If not an Aimpoint, then which red dot would you recommend? The RMRs seem like a slick little number.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a carbine guy through and through but I still feel a properly setup shotgun is important to have. I've got an 870P I'd like to mount an optic to. We've got Aimpoint T1s on our 14" 870s at work mounted with drilled and tapped rails and I've been pretty happy with them, but then again I really don't have experience with much else in the way of optic equipped shotguns. My questions are as follows.

1) what is the best way to mount an optic to an 870? Saddle rail or a drilled and tapped rail?
2) If a drilled and tapped rail, who would you recommend to do the work? Rose Action Sports seems to have quite the following here.
3) If not an Aimpoint, then which red dot would you recommend? The RMRs seem like a slick little number.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I think you have a great setup there. The drilled and tapped is the most desirable setup in my opinion but there are several good saddle mounts that I would run with confidence so that's almost a coke vs pepsi argument there.
Rose action sports does excellent work near as I can tell from pictures but I have an excellent smithy about 10 minutes from the house, I'll use him until he shuts his doors for the last time.
T1 is a solid optic, I'd try out an RMR and see how I liked it sometimes you have to drive that old truck to make sure you like it. I don't think there's a wrong direction in your thinking. You just have to figure out what you want in a personal gun.
Since your location is the USA I don't know what state you're in but if it happens to be Tennessee I'll hook you up with my guy, or several other good local smiths I know of.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
FastFire and the RX-01NSN ACOG are the two optics I've liked best on shotguns.  A problem I've seen with a few of the newer 870's is that the metal rib on the underside of the top of the receiver wasn't straight.  If you drill and tap a rail be sure to check your gun first. If it's not centered, you may have to go with one of the mounts that goes between the receiver and buttstock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FastFire and the RX-01NSN ACOG are the two optics I've liked best on shotguns.  A problem I've seen with a few of the newer 870's is that the metal rib on the underside of the top of the receiver wasn't straight.  If you drill and tap a rail be sure to check your gun first. If it's not centered, you may have to go with one of the mounts that goes between the receiver and buttstock.
View Quote
A perfect example of Remington's decline in quality control. If they can't concentrate on making their iconic products correctly, why are they wasting resources on a crappy new pistol line and that turd, the 887.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditch the rail and mount it
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 870 with a b-square saddle rail. I have a Truglo red dot on it I paid like $40 for at the time. It has honestly been a very reliable setup for the money though I haven't shot it in years. I do think a drilled and tapped rail would be the way to go tho. It was the first gun I bought after turning 18 many years ago. I Used it for deer hunting before Walker made rifle legal statewide
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
B-Square saddle mount with Burris FF3 on my Rem 1100.  They share the same mount as the 870.  Works well.  1100 receiver top is too thin to drill and tap.  870 is thicker.

Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Two eyes open Reflex sights like the Trijicon reflex and meprolight are the best.

The original reflex with a polarizing filter is the way to go.

Best mount I've used is the cavarms adaptor unit.

I like to be heads up with two eyes open as I said before, and with a traditional stock and traditional cheek weld you're not exactly chin up and aware, you have to be at the low ready to get a full View.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Aridus CROM:

http://www.aridusindustries.com/product-category/crom/

The problem with most optics on shotguns is that they are mounted too high, and so guys who are pretty good with shotguns find themselves actually a tad slower with them than with beads or rifle-style sights. The Aridus mount corrects that by mounting an Aimpoint just that bit lower so that the dot sits right in the center of your eye's focus. This means you sacrifice no speed in up close work with the shotgun (which is where it spends most of its time, really) while gaining the benefits of the red dot when using slugs at distance.

You can certainly live with a more standard style mount, but they tend to come with a slight speed penalty up close because they are mounted just a tad too high.

Either the CROM or a rail mounted to the top of the receiver is the way to go because they get the optic where it needs to be. The saddle-style optics mount the thing way too high.
View Quote
That's the first I've ever seen that. I dig it. I'm curious to know how much lower the optic sits then the standard pic rail with a low mount micro.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Top Top