Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 3:30:47 PM EDT
I just picked up this Remington 870 and it came with a 20" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights. The rear sight is not like any other rifle sight I've seen on a shotgun before tho. Full disclaimer, my experience with shotguns is only a 15 year old H&R Excell auto I used 3 times 15 years ago to hunt ducks lol. I picked this up for a home defense build. I would like to upgrade the sights to night sights. Below are pictures of the rear sight assembled and with the ramp base only. My biggest question is, can a rear night sight be mounted to that ramp base, or do I need to remove that ramp base and drill and tap the receiver for a ghost sight and picatinny rail section?

Complete sight:

Ramp base only:

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like the older version of the rifle sights Remington used on their rifles and shotguns back years ago.

I "think" (note the qualifier) that you can install the newer style rifle sight into that base, but it's going to leave the long slot exposed.

The new style sight is a elevation block with a windage adjustable sight in it.

I assume that you can buy the new sight from Remington.

Removal of the base you have now will require a lot of heat.  Remington mounts these with a high temp brazing compound that requires a dull red heat to melt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No the receiver is a express magnum. The prior owner must have swapped at some point. I have found a used 20" parkerized bead front sight barrel, but from everything I've researched, the bead sight wont work with any type of rear sight?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bodybaggers photo made me remember that the new style complete sight won't fit the old base...... sorry, I had a miss-remembering of the new sight style.

Usually a standard 870 bead sight will not work with any rear rifle sight.
The newer beads are mounted on a small pedestal, but it's just not high enough to get the rear adjusted to target.

In this case, you'd probably be better price-wise to just buy a new Express barrel with rifle sights or install your choice of sights on a new plain barrel.

The cost of removing the brazed on base you have, brazing on a new front sight and having it reblued will put you over the cost of a new Express barrel.
You could help fund it by selling the old barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Bodybaggers photo made me remember that the new style complete sight won't fit the old base...... sorry, I had a miss-remembering of the new sight style.

Usually a standard 870 bead sight will not work with any rear rifle sight.
The newer beads are mounted on a small pedestal, but it's just not high enough to get the rear adjusted to target.

In this case, you'd probably be better price-wise to just buy a new Express barrel with rifle sights or install your choice of sights on a new plain barrel.

The cost of removing the brazed on base you have, brazing on a new front sight and having it reblued will put you over the cost of a new Express barrel.
You could help fund it by selling the old barrel.
View Quote

Wouldn't I still be able to use the front sight as it sits and just replace it with a new tritium dovetail insert? I can remove the rear sight base myself and drill and tap the receiver. I do my own gunsmithing and work at a shop with all of the needed tools.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m going to predict that no matter what, it is just going to be cheaper to buy a new barrel with the front and rear sight set-up you are looking for.

On the bright-side, you will probably be able to sell the barrel you have for a good amount towards a new barrel.

Honestly, for an HD set-up, maybe shoot the gun with what you got and see if it grows on you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
As Marakov posted the cost of removing the sight, silver soldering on new ones and refinishing is going to be high.  

If you can get a plain 18" or 20" barrel on the cheap then silver soldering a front sight and reparkarzing might not be too bad.  You can  always put a rear sight on the receiver.

I've got an 870P which I had Hans Vang work on, including putting an LPA ghost ring rear sight and silver soldering on a front sight,  I probably spent too much on it but I like it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I found a used parkerized 20" barrel with a pedestal bead front sight only. I think I'll get that and put the XS sights like this on.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993547&CAT=8268
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Josh,
Josh,
I have another option for you to consider.
Purchase the Trijicon front sight ONLY for that 870 barrel, which is available. It will fit into that existing dovetail since the front sight style has never changed. Leave your rear sight on the barrel, but you would have to open up the sight notch to allow use of the Trijicon front sight which is wider (you said you were handy dealing with gunsmithing).
I personally find that night sights on both the front & rear are too busy for my older eyes, so I just run a night sight on the front on both my pistols & shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top