Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2018 10:52:26 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a Foxtrot Mike upper for my SBR lower.  Will probably use it with a Stern glock magwell.  For those who've tried both, what barrel length do you prefer?  I think the 8.5 would be super handy, but wondering if the 10.5 will be a little more accurate.  I'll be running a red dot so sight radius won't matter.  Probably will use it some for USPSA PCC comps and general goofing around at the range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if it's an apples:apples comparison because of potential differences in barrel twist rate, however you'll notice that there aren't many 9mm pistols with barrels greater than 5".  With USPSA matches you are normally engaging targets at 15 yards or less.  With this in mind, I'd say get whichever floats your boat as accuracy shouldn't be an issue at USPSA distances
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My 8.3 balances perfectly. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I was leaning towards 8.5 and just ordered it.  Primary Arms had it on sale for $337 with bolt.  That's a really good price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I was leaning towards 8.5 and just ordered it.  Primary Arms had it on sale for $337 with bolt.  That's a really good price.
View Quote
I wish you luck!

I run a Macon Armory that has been 100% regardless of the crap I feed it with.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Karri's with an 8.5" upper and a 16" upper. With the same red dot on each. I cast and reload my own ammo and can tell you that with certain loads the carbine is a bit more accurate. With others the 8.5" is. With most they are the same. Both are 1/10 twist. And by "more" accurate, we're talking 1/4" or so difference in a 10 shot group at 50 yards. I have found a couple loads that have gotten me 1.5 - 2" groups at 50 yards and that's good enough for me.

I really doubt you'd see an accuracy difference from 8.5 to 10.5".
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My 8.5" is the perfect balance.  I wouldn't want to go any longer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
2" more of barrel won't do anything for accuracy. Probably not much for velocity on a 9mm either.

Go 8" barrel and a 9" free float handguard and it just show a little muzzle device depending on what you go with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
7.5 pistol
8.5 sbr
14.5 + pinned fh for 16" carbine
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 8.5" is the perfect balance.  I wouldn't want to go any longer.
View Quote
Im looking at possibly building my first PCC, i was looking at diff barrel lengths and think im content with the 8.5", I like the looks and figured it would be a good balance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top