Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 9:26:14 PM EDT
What are the best and where do I find load data?

I noticed shooters world SBR, blackout, and buffalo rifle can ve used, but they don't publish data. Seems kinda odd they do that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Trail Boss is commonly used for subsonic loads...  The minimum charge is a load density of 70%.  From the TB mfgr website  >>>

"1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!

2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.

3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!"

In a 308, 100% load density is about 14 grains, 70% is about 10 grains...  so in a 308, you start at 10 grains and work your way up paying close attention to your chrono data.  The speed of sound is temperature dependent...@ 32 degrees F, the speed of sound is 1,087 fps.  @ 68 degrees F, the speed of sound is 1,125 fps.  Pick whichever maximum MV you like and work up a load that will give what you need.  Typically, most sub-sonic loads use bullets that are on the heavy side for caliber.  In my 308, I have developed a recipe for a 180 grain bullet...  next, I will work up a load for a 200 grain bullet and a 220 grainer as well...  then I will pick the one I like the best and standardize on it.

Since you are also running a 0.308 diameter and your case is smaller than the 308, your minimum charge will be less and your projectile could also be lighter that what I am using...  ~150 grain?.   Also be sure to pay attention to your twist rate and try to only use bullets that your twist can stabilize adequately.  I would try to run a Hornady Interlock 180 grain if applicable/possible.  It is a soft point, boat tail bullet with a cannelure.  Easy to load, can probably be stabilized with a 1:12 twist, definitely with a 1:11 twist.  Bullet length is 1.275", SD is 0.271, G1 BC is 0.452 according to Hornady.  The charge of Trail Boss I use in a 308 case is 10.6 grains - YMMV!  Best of luck...

- R -
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
10.3 gr of 2400 will work with a 208 gr bullet, but it drops 8" at 100 yards
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Will it cycle an AK or AR?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's the energy at that distance?
A 175 i bet would work good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible to pull bullets on steel cased stuff and lower the charge?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, since the gun powder used for super sonic load has a much slower burn rate instead.

Also, most SKS's and AR type 7.62X39 rigs will not cycle correctly with sub sonic ammo of normal bullet weights.  The rigs can be reworked to cycle with sub sonic ammo, but when super sonic ammo is using in the rigs with it set up for sub sonic ammo, the super sonic ammo will push too much gas to the gas system, and the rifle ends up over stroking from over function instead.
View Quote
So best option is to get an adjustable bolt?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet Jesus this is more complex than i thought. I guess ill move this to the sbr suppressor section.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top