Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 4:37:29 AM EDT
Linky

Hey 7.62 Saker owners (the latest version),
Yes, I know it’s long and heavy but really want three things from this can and wondering how it measures up:
1) Sound suppression on a 300 Blackout
2) Tight lock-up to barrel
3) Doesn’t hinder accuracy w/ 308
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Linky

Yes, I know it’s long and heavy but really want three things from this can and wondering how it measures up:
View Quote
Well, there are other cans that do those things better.

Why the saker?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have mine yet, I pick it up tomorrow woohoo!

Off just research of why I chose it,  the Saker has flexibility. I can use direct thread or QD and the ASR seems to have good lockup. That being said,  I do like the Keymo's ease,  but after asking about the lock ring of ASR the people that have and run them eased my thinking. I can always just get a direct thread and use it if desired and switch whenever.

I was using just published numbers,  but it seems suppression for the 308 is pretty good. Mine will be on semis so that was another deciding factor. I'm hoping it does well on my rifles that are 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Can't comment on 300 Blackout.  I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. The big bore that I have is a 458 Socom so I'm the not to distant future I'll be looking for a can just for that.

I'll be getting it out to see how it does for me as soon as I can and will post some impressions. You mentioned long and heavy,  the common info on that is that it is a tank and is durable because of it.  Another plus in my list of wants.  I did a lot of looking and that's why I decided to go with a Saker 762.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, there are other cans that do those things better.

Why the saker?
View Quote
I’m open to suggestions...
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Being a saker 762 owner for many years now I can say the keymo mount from dead air is 100% worth it. I had the original trifecta which got stuck repeatedly and replaced multiple times. SCO swapped it out for the ASR, and the first one wouldn't lock at all, so they replaced that as well. My final ASR mount had a tendency for the lock ring to slowly rotate to the unlock position while shooting. It went back to SCO multiple times and was never fixed, until I gave up and got the keymo.

If I was purchasing new I'd skip SCO and go straight to dead air. Heck, that's what I did anyways. I love my sandman s and my saker is sitting, unused.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive had mine for a few years now with zero issues. It’s built like a tank sounds great on 300blk, 556 and .308. Locks up great with the trifecta mount.

Now saying that there are better and lighter options. You do not need a “belt feed” rated can. Or a full stellite baffle stack.

I would choose an Omega or Q Trash Panda instead. Lighter sounds better. I would edge the Q can over the SICO can as its a better and simpler mounting solution.

My Saker was my first can purchase and is the least shot can i have. Its heavy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
None of the top cans should impact accuracy so let’s move on to “sounds on a 300blk”
I wouldn’t suspect a Saker to be better than the omega so if you want sico, that may be a better option.
If you’re looking at other brands, a trash panda or thunder chicken would be where I’d look first.
I’m optimistic about the DA Nomad but my Sandman S wouldn’t be a top choice for “quiet 300blk” - it shines in other roles.
Q and DeadAir will both have superior lockup so maybe an omega with a Plan B or Keymo
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quiet 300 BO?
Was recently shooting 300 Subs in a bolt action, with an Ultra 9.  The range benches have dividers.
A guy walked around to look; said he had actually thought someone was shooting a Daisy BB gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Linky

View Quote
The Saker is virtually identical suppression wise to the Specwar 762.  It will be very quiet at the muzzle on blackout, but also high back pressure so port pop on a semi might bother sensitive ears.

New ASR mounts take a while to settle in. If the collar will go full throw and the teeth engage then lock up is 100%, no wiggle, and repeatable. If the particular muzzle device teeth and ASR teeth are slightly mismatched there can be a little wiggle. This case is where vibration over time can unlock the collar. Vibration is the devil's wrench.  Some people bend the pawls to tune a sloppy engagement.

Precision with the can should be as good or better than without. Sometimes the cold bore shot can be a flyer depending on bullet and barrel profile. Barrel profile also affects POI shift. Heavy barrels droop less with a heavy can.

Each suppressor/host/cartridge combo is a unique animal.  Odds are you'll be happy with suppression and grow tired of weight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I like them. I have 2 7.62 and 2 K's. They wear Keymo modules. Solid cans.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
So many better options.  Dead Air Nomad, Q Trash Panda, SIG SRD 7.62 QD, the list goes on....
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So many better options.  Dead Air Nomad, Q Trash Panda, SIG SRD 7.62 QD, the list goes on....
View Quote
Well, he already bought it so it's a sunk cost. I think the OP can upgrade to Key Mo or Plan B mounts if he finds the Included ASR lacking.  Back pressure is only an issue on semis without adjustable gas blocks or an adjustable gas carrier.  He bought a heavy, all stellite, belt fed rated can.  Better options are a function of requirements.  In terms of suppression, mount, and weight, the only thing fixed in stellite on that can is the weight. If I were the OP I'd check my mount early and often, and then shoot the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, he already bought it so it's a sunk cost. I think the OP can upgrade to Key Mo or Plan B mounts if he finds the Included ASR lacking.  Back pressure is only an issue on semis without adjustable gas blocks or an adjustable gas carrier.  He bought a heavy, all stellite, belt fed rated can.  Better options are a function of requirements.  In terms of suppression, mount, and weight, the only thing fixed in stellite on that can is the weight. If I were the OP I'd check my mount early and often, and then shoot the fuck out of it.
View Quote
Hmm, maybe I’m not reading between the lines but I don’t think he has...
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out Q suppressors, mainly the Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken. Great attachment system, insanely light, and seemingly tough can. My Saker762 is the bastard of the group, I have to decide where it goes based on what I don't mind being long and heavy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check out Q suppressors, mainly the Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken. Great attachment system, insanely light, and seemingly tough can. My Saker762 is the bastard of the group, I have to decide where it goes based on what I don't mind being long and heavy.
View Quote
You need a FAL or something beltfed, speaking of
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have enough shit that isn't getting enough attention, 12" Grendel still needs an optic and the 18" Grendel needs a new optic. Plus quite a few non gun related projects in my life.

The days of spending 15k a year on gun shit are over
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have enough shit that isn't getting enough attention, 12" Grendel still needs an optic and the 18" Grendel needs a new optic. Plus quite a few non gun related projects in my life.

The days of spending 15k a year on gun shit are over
View Quote
Preach it. I’ve been in a house remodel for 13 months
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Q Full Nelson if you want the quietest.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Like mine a lot. It is long and heavy, but probably the most  durable can in my collection. built like a tank, sounds great, and the ASR works perfect. Lots of great options right now for 308 cans though, you have plenty of choices.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Looks like I might have misread the OP.  Given that I wouldn't choose or recommend the Saker ASR without knowing more about the hosts and application.  And that's from somebody who is happy to have Specwar 762, but it's not 2011 anymore.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#20]
When I bought the Saker it was the only can that would handle 7.62x39 out if a 7.5 inch barrel on auto, repeatedly.

And it is still one of the few suppressors that can handle it now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]
If suppressing .300 Blackout is the goal, I believe the EA VOX is the correct answer.  The optional wipe seems to be perfect for subsonic use.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, impressed by what I’ve read about Q. How does the Thunder Chicken compare, sound performance wise?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow, impressed by what I’ve read about Q. How does the Thunder Chicken compare, sound performance wise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To the Saker? I would imagine the Q will be quieter based on volume, plus it's quite a bit lighter than the Saker.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

To the Saker? I would imagine the Q will be quieter based on volume, plus it's quite a bit lighter than the Saker.
View Quote
I'd expect the same, given it's a 1.75" diameter compared to 1.5" diameter. And yeah, MUCH lighter than the Saker.Saker would be stronger since the Thunder chicken is 100% titanium, but there'd definitely be a weight cost with the Saker.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#25]
The older styly .30 saker was one of the first bought.  It is heavy, but didn't hurt accuracy on any rifle used on, and helped some.  Including specific target rifles.  Am still using the trifecta mount, and the accuracy and POI shift has been repeatable.  You do need to keep the mounting system and brake/flash hider cleaned/lubricated decently.  There are certainly lighter suppressors out there, but maybe they don't have the same versatility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top