Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2018 8:43:53 PM EDT
I’m seriously about to pull the trigger on a breach but id hate to purchase one and find out they are coming out with an upgraded version right after I do. Any word on a breach with 640 core coming anytime soon?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Dammit. I'm trying to hold out for the 640 Boson.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dammit. I'm trying to hold out for the 640 Boson.
View Quote
I wouldn't hold out, who knows how long you may wait.

I bought the 320 Breach and I'm very happy with it for the most part. But if/when they do come out with a 640 Breach, I'll probably be buying one. Whether at that point I sell the 320 or keep it as a spare, I'll make that decision then.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same opinion.  Grab the breach now, develop my methos for usage, and enjoy until the 640 comes out.  Then I won't be hurrying to be one of the first to have the 640 because I already have a unit that works very well.  Eventually pick up a 640 and move the 320.  I've got multiple guys that would most likely pick up the 320 breach when I'm finished with it to add to their kit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The dilemma is I've already got the PTS233. It is a good entry level unit. But I know I want a 640 core and I don't think I necessarily want to get any other 640 if I'm going to spend that kind of money, unless it is one hell of a deal. Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m totally spoiled to 640 core systems now, however ordered the Breach 320 because I was looking for a micro sized thermal mono to carry in my lumber pack while at work, hiking and hunting. Sort of a EDC thermal that’s so lite and small it doesn’t get left at home, however I have a thermal in a pinch if needed.

Overall, I pretty impressed with the Breach even for a 320 core system. The unit has rock solid construction, software and menu controls. The image clarity is top end 320 class plus the boson 320 core does seem to have better image contrast then the past Flir systems I’ve owned.

Overall, I find the Breach a great buy at its price point and performance is very good for a 1X 320 class viewer. I think it fits the tactical market/ home EDC and even hunters for close to mid range use. It’s weakness for hog/varmint hunters is the 1X lens for a full time hunting thermal mono I would perfer the Helion 384 with bigger lens and rechargeable battery pack.If Flir would offer the Breach 320 with 19mm lens that would really increase its field performance for hunters.

If the Breach fits your task I would go ahead and buy the 320 core system now. I may also upgrade to the 640 down the road but who knows when that will happen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget there's supposed to be a 3x magnifier coming for the Breach.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I doubt I spend the $$$$ for the 3X lens if it’s $500 or more. Reason being my past experience with slip over thermal lens is they degrade overall image clarity/sharpness vs a single lens. Second, it looks like a friction base attachment and I don’t trust that not to fall off while hiking rough terrain with the breach hanging on a neck lanyard. Maybe if it has a set screw on 3Xlens that would help lock it down.

Overall, I would just perfer a fixed 19mm 1.5x to 2X lens more compact vs add on 3X lens plus I really like 2X for general all around use. The terrain around my part of the world is mixed timber/ fields farm county type stuff. Average viewing range is 75 yards up in the timber to maybe 200-600 yards hay fields and such. My past experiences with 1X 320 core viewers has been they work ok for detecting targets, but always left me wishing for alittle more ID range. A 640 class 1X viewer however is a different animal with all the extra pixels they seem to work well for my use.

When I stepped up to a larger lens in the 1.5X to 2X in a 320 class system it seemed to be a game changer for me. ID range was perfect and overall viewing performance just seemed much improved. I think the 1X in the 320 core is really more of a tactical/ close range hunting application lens.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talked with my FLIR rep the other day and asked about 640s in various units- doesn't seem to be anywhere on the immediate horizon.

They are doing well keeping up with Breach orders as quick as they are, about 1/4 the lead time compared to PRO PTS233 orders. And the 536's have not shipped yet.

Be a while yet I expect..... Yeah I know they probably said "summer" but that doesn't really mean crap in the real world.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top