Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2021 2:10:58 AM EDT
So I couldn't resist and bought an 1891 Carcano...  Now the problem.   I should have known better.  There doesn't seem to be a single box of ammo for sale in the world.  Dies and brass even seem to be unobtanium.  

Anyone got any ideas?

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
6.5 Carcano has always been a low volume round that manufacturers didn't make a lot of. The recent influx of Carcano's into the U.S. has  caused a run on ammo and reloading components that has been exacerbated by the overwhelming  demand  for those things in more popular calibers nationwide.  Those same manufacturers are focusing on the more high volume calibers currently at the expense of lower volume calibers. I wouldn't expect this situation to change for awhile so enjoy your wall hanger till it does.  This same situation happened post Sandy Hook as well when those of us  that shot Carcano's, Arisaka's and other types of milsurps could find nothing to shoot out of them for most of that next year.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6.5 Carcano has always been a low volume round that manufacturers didn't make a lot of. The recent influx of Carcano's into the U.S. has  caused a run on ammo and reloading components that has been exacerbated by the overwhelming  demand  for those things in more popular calibers nationwide.  Those same manufacturers are focusing on the more high volume calibers currently at the expense of lower volume calibers. I wouldn't expect this situation to change for awhile so enjoy your wall hanger till it does.  This same situation happened post Sandy Hook as well when those of us  that shot Carcano's, Arisaka's and other types of milsurps could find nothing to shoot out of them for most of that next year.
View Quote

I've got a couple Arisakas.  For those I've got brass and dies, and could form brass from 30-06 if I had to.  I've heard that you can form 6.5 Carcano from .257 Roberts, but I don't have any of that and with no dies I'm apparently SOL.  I'm not sure if I could find any .257 Roberts brass anyway.

I have a 7.35 Carcano, but I've always wanted a 6.5, then when I finally get one...  No ammo.  

If I could at least find a decent set of dies and a box or two of ammo I'd be in business probably...

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I got in on the carcanos early.  I was able stock up on clips, ammo and PPU .268 bullets.  It took 5 months before I could get a die set.  I'm just waiting for Lee to make my decapping dies.

Quoted:
I have components and brass, I'm not sure I have 6.5 dies, I know I have 7.35 dies....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a set of lee dies from Midway about a month ago. Grafs had brass and powder valley had bullets. Looks like all gone now. I’ve had a little luck with ammo in small mom and pop shops. I’ve picked up 6 boxes in the last couple months and 2 boxes of 303. Good luck it sucks and I don’t think it’s going to get any better soon. The 6.5 I picked up was for my sons Christmas present
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like 7.35 won't be the only Carcano caliber nicknamed "Unobtanium" for the foreseeable future.

For what it's worth, it seems more manufacturers make 6.5 Carcano than 7.35 Carcano, so it WILL be back, at more reasonable prices than you typically see for 7.35, eventually. More than likely, anyways. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue about anybody that has it now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm down to about 800 rounds of milsurp 6.5.  less than 100 7.35 but I reload for both so there's that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm down to about 800 rounds of milsurp 6.5.  less than 100 7.35 but I reload for both so there's that.

View Quote

I've got some 7.35 and I've got dies and some primers and powder, so it would only be bullets that might be an issue.

6.5 I have no dies, no bullets and no brass, so I am SOL.

FWIW I got the rifle today and it is filthy but looks like it will clean up OK.  Action is smooth and it is a surprisingly nice handling rifle.  I actually like it better than the WWII era 7.35 rifle that I have.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw this on another thread.

Here
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The best part about the Carcano is the violets are magic and will score two kills with a single shot even on moving targets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Love me some Carcano's. My land lord gave me one that he bought mail order in 1964 for $3 he thought. He never even cleaned the cosmoline out. Thought it didnt have a firing pin.  Turned out to be a 1893 Terreno. Shoots like a dream. The rifle that got me into reloading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top