Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 10:09:27 AM EDT
I'm building a 6.5 Grendel AR15 platform for hog hunting.  Planning on a thermal as well, so looking for a suppressor that will hide the flash as well as being hearing safe.  I was looking at the Banish 30 originally but don't like the idea of a direct thread.  It's my first can so I'm not married to any particular QD mount like Keymo, so open to options - I just don't want something that's going to get carbon locked to the barrel and be difficult to move between guns.  We'll likely also shoot 5.56, .308, and occasionally a .300 win mag bolt gun.  Doesn't need to be full auto rated.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:17:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#1]
It won’t be hearing safe
I’d argue ammo selection (powder) will have the biggest impact on flash
I wouldn’t get a K can
Any .30 with a removable front cap you can swap for a flash hider end cap would be ideal

I know Griffin Armament @green0 has been doing some flash testing
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I hunt with a 18" Larue grendel and a sandman s....handloads....noslers over h322.   I dont use ear pro, so I consider it hearing safe.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a big 6.5G guy but ammo selection is really hurting the cartridge right now. To be honest i would get a 308 right now primarily due to ammo selection. You can get a 300 HAMR if your set on the AR-15 sized rifles and want to shoot a boutique cartridge.

As far as suppressor goes there are lots of great options out there, but I would highly recommend going with a “flow through design“. My non-flow through have been relegated to bolt actions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#4]
sico omega 300 is what i use on my 6.5g guns
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Nomad.  It works but I am not taking my ear protection off to find out how well it works.  Damn shame what is happening to the ammo for 6.5 Grendel.  It is BY FAR my favorite small frame caliber.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Omega 36M on mine with a 6.5 end cap
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rjhollan:
I'm building a 6.5 Grendel AR15 platform for hog hunting.  Planning on a thermal as well, so looking for a suppressor that will hide the flash as well as being hearing safe.  I was looking at the Banish 30 originally but don't like the idea of a direct thread.  It's my first can so I'm not married to any particular QD mount like Keymo, so open to options - I just don't want something that's going to get carbon locked to the barrel and be difficult to move between guns.  We'll likely also shoot 5.56, .308, and occasionally a .300 win mag bolt gun.  Doesn't need to be full auto rated.

Recommendations?
View Quote

How long is your Grendel barrel?  On a short barrel like a 12” a short k-model suppressor could be disappointing. Shortest I’d go are the 6” 30 call like the omega-30, but you need to buy the shorter front cap.

Something lightish like a Griffin Explor-30 either model ( integral taper mount or universal Hub thread in mount) is probably a good fit.  Another good can might be Liberty Anthem S.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used my 6.5 Grendel to take a few Whitetail Deer, Coyotes and crows.   It's an 18" barrel and gets just under 2400 fps with Hornady 123 grain ELD Match bullets.   Devastating performance out to 400 yards or so.

I'm using a Suppressed Armament Systems Titanium Reaper .30 caliber can on mine.    It works well enough for my hunting needs.   It's decently quiet and I have not experienced much sparking while shooting in low light.  

There are probably better cans, but the Reaper works for me.    It's a hunting rig, so it probably sees less than 50 rounds per year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I used my old YHM titanium 30 cal on my 18" and 12,5 Grendel.  Works fine.  It's 6.5 or 7" long x 1.5" diameter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been looking hard at the Q pork chop 6.5 or the Trash Panda (would prob be a better all around choice...).

If Silencer shop would get them in stock - I would be getting on the band waggon.

Red
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I ran a 12" SBR for awhie and will second everything said except for the guy who considers it hearing safe. I used an Omega and a Razor. Zero issues with either, the Omega was quieter, Razor had more flash but Ruggeds flash hider is very effective.  It was on a pig shooting gun and didn't get babied at all,  eventually stuck with the Razor because I like the mount. I've since moved to a SFAR with only slight regret.

Having said all that the Explorr 300 is probably where I would start my search if I were looking now
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
EA makes a 6.5 specific version of their Lux can.  I have one and love it.  Can’t speak to the flash suppression.  I use it on a 6.5 Grendel ruger American.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By badredfish:
I have been looking hard at the Q pork chop 6.5 or the Trash Panda (would prob be a better all around choice...).

If Silencer shop would get them in stock - I would be getting on the band waggon.

Red
View Quote
The Porq Chop is a .338 can, the Jumbo Shrimp is the 6.5 can.  I have both, and they've been great.  I use the Jumbo Shrimp on my 6arc and I'm really pleased with it, short, light, and great suppression.  The Porq Chop is outstanding on my 8.6blk, but its much larger and it uses a different mount that only comes in M18x1.5 and 5/8-24, its not really a good choice for anything other than .338 subs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
There may be some subsonic rounds that may be on the edge of hearing safe, but I would not shoot any supersonic ammo without ear pro. You can't fix hearing damage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top