Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2018 12:50:45 PM EDT
What ever happened to the sig 556R?
Did they discontinue them?

How do you like the sig 556 rifles overall?
Was considering one.  in 556
I held a 556r seemed like a nice rifle.  The safety lever was not quite as easy to reach as an AR safety lever.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What ever happened to the sig 556R?
Did they discontinue them?

How do you like the sig 556 rifles overall?
Was considering one.  in 556
I held a 556r seemed like a nice rifle.  The safety lever was not quite as easy to reach as an AR safety lever.
View Quote
Sig has pretty much abandoned the entire 556 line, including the Xi.  No factory support or spare parts.  The 7.62x39 versions seems to have held out the longest, but I think they are finally gone.  People seemed to like the Russian versions moreo than the 5.56 versions, but make sure you get the Gen 2 version if you are getting the 556R (I believe the Xi has the Gen 2 upgrades).
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it because of the cost of the gun?
Or did they just not sell?  I have read they are front heavy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of reasons the 556 fell out of favor.  Most have to do with the 5.56 version, and the Russian versions, which really weren’t thought of that negatively, just happened to get caught in the undertow.

The 556 series was put out by Sig likely to capitalize on the perceived market desire for a reissue of the pre-import ban Swiss 551 series, that was highly regarded, but priced out of existence for many in a post-ban world.  They updated the design which some features that felt would appeal to the desires of modern US shooters, like a new lower that took AR mags instead of the proprietary and hard to find and expensive Swiss mags, a picatinny rail on top of the receiver, and in the initial model, an AR pattern stock.  Since the Swiss gun was no longer importable, it had to be made of mostly US parts.  Unfortunately, they kind of botched it.  The first model came with a heavy fish gill handguard, there were QC issue, like canted top rails on the early models, fans of the original Swiss guns didn’t accept it because it changed too much from the original and the quality was lower than the Swiss originals, and general shooters weren’t impressed because it cost much more than an regular AR, but didn’t really do anything better, and it was still pretty proprietary with little aftermarket.  Sig came out with various generations that improved the quality somewhat, and reverted to more Classic design for the stock and handguard, but the damage had been done, and the original problems of not Swiss/ too expensive to compete with ARs were never really resolved.  Sig tried again with the 556xi, which updated some features, which they claimed was modular (it wasn’t, actually), but then failed to support it with parts, accessories, or conversions because they were moving on to their next “big thing”, the MPX and MCX, so the Xi flamed out even quicker than the original 556.

If you can find a Gen 2 556R at a good price, it’s a decent gun.  Just be aware that there is little support out there for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the 556 and the 556R. Shortly after I bought my second rifle, Sig discontinued both rifles and all support. Then the xi came out, lasted a few years and it too was discontinued. When the xi came out, there were promises of a modular rifle with easy caliber changes. Very few of the caliber conversions were sold.

There are lots of Sig rifle customers who have lost all faith in Sig and moved on to other platforms. There are still some listed on places like Gunbroker and Guns America where the 556’s can be found. I plan on shooting mine till they wear out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 556r Gen 2. It's one of my favorite rifles. It's been 100% reliable for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
My 556r is a Gen-2 and it’s been a great rifle. My only complaint is that not all AK mags will fit without being modified. I have to Dreml the rear lug on the mags to get them to fit the magwell properly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 556R Gen 2.  Great rifle.  Shot it/carried it for awhile.  The SIG shit on their customers and I went back to AR15's.  Even if SIG is making their current model 10 years from now you won't catch me spending money on one.  I can get parts, factory and after market for an AR15, even one if 7.62X39 or 6.5 Grendel.

Mine proved to be both accurate and reliable - but the company that made it was not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 556r Gen 2. It's one of my favorite rifles. It's been 100% reliable for me.
View Quote
My gen2 is absolutely my favorite rifle (VS. AR AK or bolts) & 100% reliable as well (with all & any steel cased).

Magpul & Tapco mags all run perfect. I call it "Thumper" from the sound it makes on steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top