Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2020 10:20:54 PM EDT
Going to be moving to a different state next month, and I want to get my ducks in a row for the change of address through ATF. Via some google-fu, I'm seeing that a form 5320.20 is what I need to fill out, send, and get approved for the change of address. The form is specifically titled as "Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily
Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms", my question is...is this the correct form for what I am seeking? Not sure if the info is needed, the item is under a trust, not as individual.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is needed, and yes, that's the correct form.

Be sure to send it via email to get the fastest response.  It usually takes ~2 weeks to get it back.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it is needed, and yes, that's the correct form.

Be sure to send it via email to get the fastest response.  It usually takes ~2 weeks to get it back.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you. I'll do some searching around ATF website to verify an email in the morning. Want to get this squared away sooner rather than later
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you. I'll do some searching around ATF website to verify an email in the morning. Want to get this squared away sooner rather than later
View Quote

[email protected] It's under instruction "b" on the back of the form.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[email protected] It's under instruction "b" on the back of the form.
View Quote

awesome, thank you for pointing that out.

so another question few questions...

**box 3, for from date-to date, for moving, what do I put in place for that? check no for box 2 - "...to be returned to original location", then just put the move date under "from"?

**box 5, address of returned form, is this my new address?

**box 9, mode of transportation (carrier?)... can i not drive this item to and from myself? how should i state that on the form? - I read online that putting "private vehicle" in this line will work

is there an example of one filled out for a trust on arf, or somewhere on the internet in general? Just want to make certain that I'm doing this properly.
I'm sorry if these are all stupid questions, NFA is still pretty new to me, and I've never had to do this yet.

**I'm also noticing that the instructions on the back is saying to complete two copies, do I need to do this if I'm emailing a scanned copy?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
One copy is fine for emailing. Make sure you actually sign and scan it. I typed my name in a pretty font So I didn’t have to print, sign, and scan and Mr. ATF man did not approve of that.

#3 - you missed (or dates in transit, if to be perrmanently relocated).

#5 is your current address because you need the form signed by Mr ATF man before crossing state lines. Leave blank if same as #1.

#9 is fine to say “private conveyance” or “private automobile”

If I could PM, I would send you a link to mine for my trust-owned SBR but I can’t and I don’t want to post my name and address on the inter webs. I think if you google “completed ATF Form 20 example” there’s a couple gun lawyers that have them posted.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One copy is fine for emailing. Make sure you actually sign and scan it. I typed my name in a pretty font So I didn’t have to print, sign, and scan and Mr. ATF man did not approve of that.

#3 - you missed (or dates in transit, if to be perrmanently relocated).

#5 is your current address because you need the form signed by Mr ATF man before crossing state lines. Leave blank if same as #1.

#9 is fine to say “private conveyance” or “private automobile”

If I could PM, I would send you a link to mine for my trust-owned SBR but I can’t and I don’t want to post my name and address on the inter webs. I think if you google “completed ATF Form 20 example” there’s a couple gun lawyers that have them posted.

View Quote

Okay cool.
For box 3 I put the same date for from and to, will that be acceptable? It will only take one day to transport/move the item in question.

Beyond that, I believe I have this done proper per what you said and various things I've seen online.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes you just put the day you’re traveling.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes you just put the day you’re traveling.
View Quote

Awesome, I think im good then. Form scanned and emailed this morning. Hopefully it all works out

Next question I have i think might be for the guy who set my trust up, how do I go about changing the address for the trust? Will I have to get it rewritten/notarized again?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There’s an example here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/465636_Work-In-Progress--new-F1-F4-guide-for-41F-submissions.html&page=3#i4659299

...but I think the form has been updated since then and I never updated the how-to.
View Quote

Yeah they updated the form in the last couple of months. I just moved interstate 5 months ago and the form was the same old form it had been for awhile, so it's a recent change.

Ironically, in my move, the ATF mailed the approved form to my new address, which didn't technically exist yet (the house was being built and was due to close in the next month or so).  The mailman didn't find a mailbox, so returned it to the ATF as undeliverable, which I'm sure raised some eyebrows.

I called the ATF after I didn't hear for 3 weeks as it's usually pretty quick, and they said it was approved and mailed a week prior.  Guess they hadn't received it back yet at that point, so they just said I'm approved and if anything happens (aka I got stopped) to just tell them you have approval on file with the ATF.

I received the forms 2 months later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
What if you don't know what day you will be traveling?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
File it for FROM what ever day you are going to send it TO a year past that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I put "upon approval".  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Also another tidbit, be sure to write the trust name as the name, and trustee next to your signed name. I have seen a rejection because of that.

For dates, just put a date before you move, no date range is needed when you check permanent move. If you need to rush it, email the form in and give them a call.

On my emailed forms I included two, not sure if one will work or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top