Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2022 8:35:27 AM EDT
I realize the heavy weight of a 5 gallon bucket of ammo. I need to get my .22 LR AMMO into something for indefinite storage. How many oxygen or moisture absorbers do I need? How often if ever do they need to be recharged?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
you might consider storing in quart Mason/Ball glass canning jars... individual 50rd packs could be placed in the jars and vacuum sealed with a food saver vacuum sealer with jar attachment... would be lighter in weight to transport...wouldn't expose the entire lot of ammo to elements when the jar is opened... or just use the plastic storage bags

I vacuum sealed some M855 in regular vacuum storage bags just as a trial run when I got the vacuum food saver

I live about 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and have never had a problem with center fire or rim fire ammo degrading from atmospheric moisture or heat when stored in my air conditioned house
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you might consider storing in quart Mason/Ball glass canning jars... individual 50rd packs could be placed in the jars and vacuum sealed with a food saver vacuum sealer with jar attachment... would be lighter in weight to transport...wouldn't expose the entire lot of ammo to elements when the jar is opened... or just use the plastic storage bags

I vacuum sealed some M855 in regular vacuum storage bags just as a trial run when I got the vacuum food saver

I live about 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and have never had a problem with center fire or rim fire ammo degrading from atmospheric moisture or heat when stored in my air conditioned house
View Quote
I kinda like the idea of vacuum packed ammo.  I honestly had never thought of that before.

I'd do a few sizes. Like 50, 100, 250, 500....   That could come in handy for trade or barter too...

I have never stored my live ammo, Center fire or Rim fire in anything besides the package they came in or Steel Ammo cans, some just dumped in raw, some stacked in boxes... But this has me interested.  I could still put the individual bags in ammo cans plastic or steel.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I realize the heavy weight of a 5 gallon bucket of ammo. I need to get my .22 LR AMMO into something for indefinite storage. How many oxygen or moisture absorbers do I need? How often if ever do they need to be recharged?
View Quote

If you do, get the metal or rope handles. But the buckets will crack eventually. I prefer ammo cans and not the plastic kind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I kinda like the idea of vacuum packed ammo.  I honestly had never thought of that before.

I'd do a few sizes. Like 50, 100, 250, 500....   That could come in handy for trade or barter too...

I have never stored my live ammo, Center fire or Rim fire in anything besides the package they came in or Steel Ammo cans, some just dumped in raw, some stacked in boxes... But this has me interested.  I could still put the individual bags in ammo cans plastic or steel.
View Quote
5 gallon buckets are a horrible idea. Glass sucks.  If you drop a bag, it can burst and your ammo goes everywhere, although, I would buy a vacuum sealer for other things.......  Some of these ammo cans can be pretty heavy and they nowhere nearly approach that mass.  As you might guess I have bought a few.  They go on sale often for a lot lower price than shown, at least before chinaflugames. These come in multiple sized cases and boxes, but if you mix sizes, they won't stack.

I also have metal cans, but these are much nicer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

5 gallon buckets are a horrible idea. Glass sucks.  If you drop a bag, it can burst and your ammo goes everywhere, although, I would buy a vacuum sealer for other things.......  Some of these ammo cans can be pretty heavy and they nowhere nearly approach that mass.  As you might guess I have bought a few.  They go on sale often for a lot lower price than shown, at least before chinaflugames. These come in multiple sized cases and boxes, but if you mix sizes, they won't stack.

https://i.imgur.com/LZVKG49.jpg

View Quote

I have some of those.  No they are not nicer than metal ammo cans.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Double
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/LZVKG49.jpg

View Quote

I have a mix of the above from back when you could get them for $20ish and some of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plano-16-qt-Storage-Crate-PLA1071MC/312083542

MTM cases work well and you can get 1000 rounds of loose 9mm or 500 rounds of loose 5.56 in one. They are easier to grab for a trip to the range.
At the current price for the MTM cans I'd highly recommend the Plano crate for long term storage.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/accessories/news/plano-tactical-ammo-crate
One of these will hold 2k rounds of boxed 9mm.

I put silica gel packs from Amazon in my long term storage containers. Probably unnecessary, but it's a small cost compared to hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What about a 1 gallon bucket? Amazon has a 10 pack for $30ish.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I store shotgun shells and empty brass in 5 gallon buckets, but loaded ammo is too heavy and will crush and deform the stuff in the bottom of the bucket.

Home Depot sells  1 and 2 gallon square buckets with lids that fits those 100ct plastic 22LR boxes nicely although that also will crush if stacked more than two high.  

I don't use dessicant packs.. The gun room has a dehumidifier already.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Empty paint cans are a much better size:

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Eh8S1xhqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, I would avoid the paint bucket due to weight and aforementioned weaknesses.  Ammo cans have always been my friend for ammo storage and something comparable to a paint bucket might be a 40mm can.  It is a heavy beast but holds a ton.  Desiccant wise, I use a 3x3x1/4" bag (covers roughly .42 cu. ft) per 50 can so scale accordingly to other containers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have some of those.  No they are not nicer than metal ammo cans.
View Quote

They are nice to keep stored in a cargo area of an suv. I like to keep my most common range ammo in my cargo area and having four steel ammo cans sliding around in the back can be annoying.

I prefer USGI fat 50cal cans for long term storage, but those MTMs in their base crate are a nice range load out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe you are over-thinking this. I am not opposed to vacuum packing some ammo, but steel GI ammo cans are what you need. I have a LOT of crap stored in GI (not Chinese) ammo cans. I have kind of reverted back to 30 cal cans, just because of weight. A SAW can (aka Fat Fifty) full of lead ammo gets heavy fast. Uncle Sam went to a lot of expense developing ammo cans.

I really miss the old 50 round cardboard boxes of .22 ammo, where there was no wasted space. The new plastic boxes take up too much room. If I remember correctly, a full case of .22 would fit in a 50 cal can. The CCI plastic boxes won't allow a case of .22 to even fit in a SAW can.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Eh8S1xhqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

I like the paint cans for stick on the shelf somewhere else and forget it type ammo. Works well, blends into a garage or shed.

As for other methods. Bulk long term storage in steel .50 cans with a desiccant pack and a trash bag liner. Bulk plinking/varmint ammo in empty 8lb and 1lb powder jugs or peanut butter jars - 8lb jug is good for 600ish rds of .223, 1lb is good for 100 rds by the way. Peanut butter jars good for about 150rds of .223, want to go shoot varmints, grab a jar of ammo and walk out the door. The MTM crates are great for often-used ammo, range ammo, etc. Not my choice for long term storage because plastic. I do have a 5gal bucket with ammo in it but it stays static - too heavy to move - and everything in there is also in plastic bags since they don't seal well unless you get ones with gasketed lids.

In short, long term ammo in matching steel cans, properly labeled, etc. Short term range or hunting ammo is in whatever sealed container I can scrounge up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
A 5 gallon bucket will hold about 500 shotgun shells, according to the internet. At 10 pounds per 100 that’s 50 pounds, which isn’t as bad as I’d thought, but still pretty unwieldy.  My vote’s for ammo cans.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I cant give you an answer because its not something Id do, personally.  I just use ammo cans.  Ill throw a few desiccant packs in them for the hell of it, even though I don't think its even necessary.

I just want to chime in on the vacuum sealing thing.
It's my understanding that vacuum sealed bags will not stay sealed indefinitely.  Ive had a lot of my own issues with vacuum sealed bags losing their seal not even after what I would consider to be a long time.  So now I make sure that I give anything I have vacuum sealed a quick once over to make sure they're still good now and then.  Plenty of times Ive had to re-bag and seal stuff.   Those vacuum sealed jars Ive never used, but I heard they're even worse with keeping seals.

So I wouldn't feel comfortable using either of them for long term storage for anything I was planning on storing and forgetting about.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you planning to be opening and closing this container? If not then get some pvc and a couple of end caps and glue it up.
You could also get some soda kegs or ball lock keg its what the syrup for sodas comes in, they are stainless steel with rubber bumpers top and bottom and have a gasket lid in the top and 2 valves.
Get a you a VCI bag or several depending on size bag up your goodies put in side and close up the lid. Then you can use the valves on top to so fill the tank with co2 or nitrogen and that should help for really long term storage.
When you want to open press in on the valve release the pressure and remove the large center cap.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I filled a 50 cal ammo can with 22lr once and that made it clear to me it was a bad idea. I'd stick to 30 caliber ammo cans or smaller. I've basically switched to just storing all factory ammo in its original packaging. Now quite as bombproof as ammo cans but so much easier to see and sort everything. For that rare emergency where you might have to consider selling off ammo it's much easier to do so with it in its factory packaging.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I think a vacuum sealer with some dessicants in each bag, with several bags tossed into a container of your choice. Your ammo should theoretically last indefinitely, but I'm just pulling this out of my ass. It's my plan, however.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I filled a 50 cal ammo can with 22lr once and that made it clear to me it was a bad idea. ...
View Quote

Those 50 cal cans full of .22 boxes are wonderful to hold down glued flooring while letting the adhesive sets
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Those 50 cal cans full of .22 boxes are wonderful to hold down glued flooring while letting the adhesive sets
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I filled a 50 cal ammo can with 22lr once and that made it clear to me it was a bad idea. ...

Loose 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top