BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
5.45x39 Load Development (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Me and a buddy just ordered hornady 11th on Amazon.  Will see in about 5 to 6 days.  People might want to start lookin around.  If I see the book before anyone else I will try to confirm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well.  That’s not at all visible by eyeballing.

In that case, something like a #41 primer may be important.

I have a variety of SR primers on hand (#41, WSR, S&B, CCI, etc.).  When I can get back to loading, I will take a look at some test loads with different primers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuxorDeathbed] [#3]
Got my hornady 11th.  5.45 is in there!  But very limited loading and for their v-max 60 gr.  One can at least build off the data and figure out what else could work.  I cut out the numbers because I don't know what policies are to take pics of loading data from books due to copyright.  But just buy it because it is full of new stuff.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
From the Code of Conduct;

10  Copyrighted Material must be respected.

If you wish to share an article from another site, it's important that you attribute a link to the original site. We will initially issue warnings, but repeat violations will result in your removal from the site. While not a requirement, it is considered a courtesy that you only post a small excerpt of the original article here.

There you go, the official version.

If a page or maybe 2 are posted, no problem. Just don't push it.
View Quote

Perfect.  I suspected there was something.  Caution and all wins the day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LuxorDeathbed:
Got my hornady 11th.  5.45 is in there!  But very limited loading and for their v-max 60 gr.  One can at least build off the data and figure out what else could work.  I cut out the numbers because I don't know what policies are to take pics of loading data from books due to copyright.  But just buy it because it is full of new stuff.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145197/20210503_151851_jpg-1928222.JPG
View Quote

Hi!  

I don’t have the Hornady 11th, but I’m still very curious as to how it compares to my experiment a month and a bit ago.

I got 2940 fps with 23.2 grains of AR-Plus, which is nearly the same as Accurate 2230.  

How does that compare to the chart in the book?  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
After a long hiatus because of a lot of things - mostly some health issues - I’m back looking at loads for the 5.45x39.

I posted in another 5.45-related thread about something I found on Cast Boolits:

Here is what about 25% of the 5.45X39 cases made from 222Rem look like after their first firing due to sidewall expansion to fit the chamber.

If you look closely at the base you may be able to see the bulge.
View Quote

Sure looks like forming .222 cases for 5.45x39 ain’t a super idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Hornady’s offering of both affordable dies AND quality brass (and their bullets) was a potential game changer.  Dies, brass and bullets were in stock right after their announcement (around the first of the year, I think), but the shellholder is my big roadblock.

I really need to spend more time looking for that shellholder in stock somewhere.
View Quote

Optics planet has the #56 shellholder
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I think keeping track of when and where the specialized tools for 5.45 are available is something that we need to share in this thread.  Just like what non-5.45 bits work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:24:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#10]
When Hornady first started selling components, but no load data, I contacted Hornady for load data.

In response, the only load data I was given at the time was their CFE-223 load data.

I thought that might be their best choice as that's all they were giving me.

I had bought their loaded ammo and found 24.0 grains of ball powder in it.

Their load data with velocities now shows 24.0 grains of CFE-223 giving 2600 fps and 25.5 grains giving 2800 fps.

Their factory ammo is rated at 2810 fps.

Their load data shows a maximum load of 23.9 grains of A2460 giving 2800 fps.

Hornady uses a 16 inch barrel for 5.45.

The Hornady data only mentions using CCI-400 primers.

Considering that 5.45 firing pin protrusion is on the order of large rifle primer specs, it is likely wise to use thick, magnum small rifle primers.

A friend loaded 24.0 grains of H335 and the velocity was higher than Hornady factory ammo and likely too hot, but the fired case and primer didn't show pressure signs.

I wouldn't recommend it.

A2460 and CFE-223 are the only two powders Hornady shows reaching 2800 fps and their H335 load is less powder and  slower in velocity.

After my friend tried H335, I figured a slightly slower powder, like A2460 or Varmint, would be a better choice, but even Varmint and TAC have lower velocities in Hornady's data.

Hornady's factory ammo was accurate for me, but only gave me around 2700 fps from a 16 inch barrel.

CCI #41 primers have been hotter than CCI-450 primers for me.

Maybe Hornady does use CFE-223 and maybe a magnum primer would bring 24.0 grains up from 2600 fps to 2700 fps, rather loading a maximum pressure load of A2460.

Of the Russian ammo, Barnaul and Golden Tiger give similar velocities, but Tula is way down in velocity.

Barnaul loaded with extruded powder gives me just over 2750 fps with a 60 grain FMJ bullet.

Barnaul loaded with ball powder gives me right around 2800 fps wit a 60 grain FMJ bullet.

Golden Tiger velocity was right between the two Barnaul loads and used ball powder.

Tula was much slower than the others.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#11]
I've read up on 5.45x39 reloading over the years and even picked up a set of CH4D dies and a Lee bullet sizer which I've never put to use.

I've saved links to threads on other forums and figured I'd add them here for general reference.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/417407_Best_way_to_trim__222_Rem_down_to_5_45x39.html

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44231

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144529

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/81058-545x39mm-reloading-for-the-deer-hunter/
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a tantel i have reloaded but using 222 rem has been frustrating in 545 mags for obvious reasons.  Just got a polish 556 mag and loaded 30 pre fire formed dummies.  Hand cycled flawlessly 30 times.  Live fire forming from the mag is next.  Hope this helps someone else.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been working on my Hornady brass, and doing the mathy stuff to make sure I’m staying safe and within tolerances.  I have converted the CIP measurements to inches, and double checked my math, since one number I converted wrong.  A kind of important number too, so I redid everything.

I weighed a sample of my pulled (Barnaul) bullets, and they are all a small margin under 60 grains; Barnaul quotes them as being 3.85 grams, which is pretty darn close to 59.4 grains.  I’m going to use these for my first. Test loads so I don’t use up my expensive V-max bullets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
GHPorter and others - a huge THANKS for your legwork here.  

I know with the recent ban on Russian ammo, supplies will only get tighter - meaning there should be more interest in reloading 5.45 soon.  I hope so anyway.

Would be a shame to let this valuable thread go to the archives.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I emailed Starline about bringing 5.45 brass to market.  Their response:
Thank you for reaching out. At this time we are unable to look into new product development due to the high influx of orders in our system. I apologize for the inconvenience.
View Quote

A while back I had also contacted Prvi about brass, Boxer-primed 5.45 ammo or at least components.  They said they would take it under consideration.  Still no product announcement.

Unfortunately, I only have 100 Hornady cases, and it looks like everybody who lists the stuff is out of stock.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kicsibors] [#17]
Just in case if anyone is in need, MidwayUSA has 4x 100-bullet packs of the factory seconds 60 gr V-max.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010918025?pid=399673
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Hornady manuals (newer editions) have load data for this caliber.  I have zero experience because I don't own anything that uses it.

I am not even aware of any source for boxer primed brass.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Hornady manuals (newer editions) have load data for this caliber.  I have zero experience because I don't own anything that uses it.

View Quote

A while back, there was a run of some decent domestic Hornady boxer primed brass, a run of Hornady dies, and Hornady V-Max bullets on the market.

The bullet supply is still around, but the dies and brass didn't take long to get taken up and they haven't cycled back since.

It is just a guess from the sidelines, but with everything else going on it may be a long time before they cycle back to niche topics like this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LuxorDeathbed:
I have a tantel i have reloaded but using 222 rem has been frustrating in 545 mags for obvious reasons.  Just got a polish 556 mag and loaded 30 pre fire formed dummies.  Hand cycled flawlessly 30 times.  Live fire forming from the mag is next.  Hope this helps someone else.
View Quote

Follow up to this.  Loaded 30 rounds and fired them thru this 223 mag.  Flawless.  Also 55 gr short fmjs that were down sized to 221 worked fine.  Loaded mag though has room for them to slide forward.  No burst cases from fire forming.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Hornady makes, "runs" of the brass, but it is not in constant production.

300 Legend cases seem to have the same rim and case diameter and can be formed to 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kicsibors] [#22]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

300 Legend cases seem to have the same rim and case diameter and can be formed to 5.45x39.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, the 350 Legend brass does not have the same rim diameter as 5.45.  It has the same rim as .223, just larger in the base above the rim.  

As a result, the 350 Legend brass that I have used has had rim damage due to only partial engagement of the extractor.  Also, firing pin strikes are not centered on the primers due to the bolt and case head not being actually aligned every time.  I’d like to use a 5.56 bolt, but the bolt face depth isn’t the same as on my 5.45 bolt.

Also, 350 Legend -> 5.45 requires neck reaming or neck turning.  I did it for ~70 cases, and it wasn’t fun without a dedicated neck turning station.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#23]
Originally Posted By kicsibors:

No, the 350 Legend brass does not have the same rim diameter as 5.45.  It has the same rim as .223, just larger in the base above the rim.  

As a result, the 350 Legend brass that I have used has had rim damage due to only partial engagement of the extractor.  Also, firing pin strikes are not centered on the primers due to the bolt and case head not being actually aligned every time.  I’d like to use a 5.56 bolt, but the bolt face depth isn’t the same as on my 5.45 bolt.

Also, 350 Legend -> 5.45 requires neck reaming or neck turning.  I did it for ~70 cases, and it wasn’t fun without a dedicated neck turning station.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kicsibors:

I'm sure the neck would need turning.

I haven't had any problems with 223 rims in 5.45 bolts and extractors.

Soviet extractor test is a loaded cartridge under extractor hook, with the bolt held horizontally.

If it holds a loaded cartridge, it passes.

Biggest issue with Hornady cases is the small primer pocket.

5.45 firing pins have large rifle primer protrusion, unless you get a spare firing pin to modify for small rifle primers.

The larger base diameter of 350 Legend should be large enough to keep the primer centered in the 5.45 chamber.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Morning all,
Working on this project on an AR-15 platform and the issue I have is finding mags. For now I don't have to have a mag that holds 30 rounds. Have any of you used a 5.56 mag that could cycle ~ 5 rounds consistently?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MexViking1:
Morning all,
Working on this project on an AR-15 platform and the issue I have is finding mags. For now I don't have to have a mag that holds 30 rounds. Have any of you used a 5.56 mag that could cycle ~ 5 rounds consistently?
View Quote

I'm sorting through memories of the thread we had on this subject back around 2007 or 2008, but, it was rather hit or miss on 5.56 Magazines that would reliably feed 5.45 more than a few rounds at a time. I found that if you loaded 10 or 15 rounds max, some of the magazines worked better than others, and, if I remember correctly, one of the few magazines that did work really well, was the (at the time) $75 Fancy coated stainless HK Ar-15 magazines. They were stupid expensive but seemed to work better than most. But you could not load them up to 30 rounds and count on them to work all the time. It was a mess that was not solved until we could get our hands on dedicated 5.45 AR mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for that info. I guess it will be trial and error.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#28]
BUMP, for any new info

anyone got load data for 55gr bullets ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I was using IMR-4198 with resized .224 55gr fmjs. I *think* it was 16 grs(I might’ve posted it earlier in this thread). I was using converted .222 and .223/5.56 cases. It cycled in the AK and AR I tried it in. I didn’t take development past that, at least as of yet.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
5.45x39 Load Development (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top