Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2019 10:22:17 PM EDT
I have $650 worth of Cabela's cards I need to spend and am considering an 18.5" 45-70 for a fun gun.
Already have a Henry 22 and 2 Marlins in 38/357 (JM) & 44 (new production).

The Henry's action was super smooth from the factory while the new Marlin in 44 was clunky and needed an action job to get it to where I liked it. The tube loading on the Henry is easier on the thumb but feels weird to load from the business end :)

Have seen the threads here on the 45-70 Marlins, they seem to be liked but not many mentions of the action.

Anyone have the Henry in 45-70 or maybe compared both side by side?

Wanting to use the Leverevoloution 325gr ammo due to reduced costs until I get dies. How does this plastic tipped ammo feed in either brands?

Can a 45 cal pistol suppressor be used on these if it were threaded? Only other rifles cans I have are .30 cal.

Or scrap the whole 45-70 idea and get something else at Cabelas?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My Marlin gbl is great, no regrets.

Don’t shoot 45-70 though a 45 acp can.

Eta: leverevolution uses a non standard brass length btw. Only really matters if you reload, feeds fine in my Marlin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 is what you want.

Henry makes a great rifles as well but trust me on the Marlin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rugged Obsidian can handle 45-70 from a 16in barrel, not sure other .45acp cans will handle 45-70.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with a 1895g.  Gun is great all around - fit and finish is good, shoots great, etc.  but depending on the sound you expect when silenced you may or may not be happy with it.  Full power ammo is very loud and the quietest reloads I can load are louder than I was expecting.  The 1895g is easy/cheap to thread since the mag tube is shorter than the barrel.  Mine was a bit notchy when new, but it smoothed out very quickly.

If you want a 45-70 get it.  If you want a quiet lever gun go with a 44 or 45 - both can be made quieter than a silenced 9mm if you load your own ammo.  Or thread your 357.  Ammo capacity is also poor with the long 45-70 ammo(20 inch 357/44/45 will hold 10 mag rounds and often 11 special rounds, 1895g holds 4).

A friend has a Henry, it's super nice but heavy.  Not sure you could thread it due to the magazine(how would you shorten the brass spring loaded tube?).  If it wasn't getting threaded I'd look hard at a steel Henry, they're very nice and priced competitively.   All Henry's would be a PITA to suppress since you would have to remove the silencer to load them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Get $600 worth of salt water taffy from the candy shop and a Mossy Oak comforter for the bedroom. Your lady will love it!

Winning
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
SiCo Hybrid is the common choice for .45-70.
I have also pondered the .45 pistol cans with light loads of Trail Boss or other light plinking loads.

I want badly to thread my 1895GG but it is the ported model so a suppressor doesn't do much.  I need to find someone to trade a JM Guide Gun for a new SBL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Marlin feels way better in a lever action than the Henry lever action.  But Henry just came out with single shots in 45-70 that I really like. I have had two of the Marlins and would like another one. The action will break in with use.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want badly to thread my 1895GG but it is the ported model so a suppressor doesn't do much.
View Quote
Measure the barrel, the ports are probably past the 16 inch mark, ie. You could shorten the barrel to get rid of the porting and then thread it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have three Marlins, (1) 26" , 9 shot 1895 CB, which shoots fine, and functions just fine.

(2)- Marlin 444, older rifle, circa 1955, shoots great, and I've killed a few big game animals with it as well as a bynch of Coyotes.

(3)- Marlin .44 Mag, circa 1971. Shoots very well and functions fine.

I looked at the Henry's but I don't like the front end loading.

I have looked at the Chiappa 45-70 but the price is a bit largeor a retired guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
How's your ammo fort?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm talking new production Marlins vs Henry's.
Cabelas doesn't list the higher end models some have suggested here. Looking at the 18" $649 model vrs the $769 Henry.

Marlins: https://www.cabelas.com/product/Marlin-Model-Big-Bore-Lever-Action-Rifles/706393.uts
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Marlin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Go with the Marlin 45-70. Shoot a 405gr BP equivalent load unless you need to shoot a Griz or Oliphant.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice . Is that one a recent manufacture ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Marlin is the only choice.

If Henry would ever get rid of that stupid tube and go with a side loading gate. Until then it's Marlins only for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If Henry would ever get rid of that stupid tube and go with a side loading gate. Until then it's Marlins only for me.
View Quote
This. I would be first in line if they offered a .357/.38 lever gun with a side gate
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Your prayers have been answered.  Henry now offers a side loading gate.  Don't know what configuration offered, maybe just what you desire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I still can't decide if I even want a 45-70. I have a feeling it wouldn't be shot much but would be fun when it is used.
If I end up with one it will be the Marlin.

Can't seem to find anything else at Cabela's I want right now.
Have scoured the gun library at all stores. Can't find much I gotta have.
However there is a 8" S&W .44 w/ scope that may be fun
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This. I would be first in line if they offered a .357/.38 lever gun with a side gate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I’ll be second.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Get over your aversion to the loading tube and get the Henry
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get over your aversion to the loading tube and get the Henry
View Quote
I’m not unscrewing my can to load my gun. Also on a practical note I’ve damaged and seen damaged enough of those tubular mags to prefer they just stay in the gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 45-70 and do not shoot it much at all.  When it comes to lever guns I like pistol calibers for the ease of shooting and reloading.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the 45-70 Marlin guide gun that don't get shot much...but when it does, its a blast and everyone loves shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is actually pending. There is a loading gate model, not sure if it's actually out yet. They kept the tube loading and added a side gate. I like the idea-traditional loading, no need to cycle the lever a pile of times when the time comes to unload.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I like the idea-traditional loading, no need to cycle the lever a pile of times when the time comes to unload.
View Quote
That's what the trigger is for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought the Marlin since Henry's were tube load only.  Had the side loading gate been an option a year and a half ago, I might have gone the other way.  But, all said and done, I have no regret.  My Marlin shoots great.  It's well accurate at 225 yards and looks great too.  If I change anything it'll be the trigger, but even that I've learned to deal with.  I don't really feel like the trigger holds me back.  Fun to shoot, but I can only do 20 or so rounds before my arm starts to fall off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Went on Marlin’s site a week or so ago.  Looks like they have a threaded 16” version that should be for sale eventually.  No bets if Cabela’s will bother handling it or not.  IIRC Cabela’s does not carry suppressors and they are part of a big corp - so they would probably want to shy away from it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a Marlin but look it over really well. The newer one's I've been seeing look to be GTG but I wouldn't take a chance ordering one unless I could walk away if it wasn't up to par.

The Henrys are nice rifles also but they are heavier than they need to be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Bought a GBL a couple weeks ago. Seems like a keeper. Very accurate with some Hi-Tek coated 405gr cast bullets over 12gr of Unique. Have some XS Sights on the way, the factory sights are hard for me to see.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bought a GBL a couple weeks ago. Seems like a keeper. Very accurate with some Hi-Tek coated 405gr cast bullets over 12gr of Unique. Have some XS Sights on the way, the factory sights are hard for me to see.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118528/PicsArt_08-14-05_02_21_jpg-1057538.JPG
View Quote
I really need to play with those Unique loads myself. Cast loads and 4064 do well and are cheap, but using less than a third of the powder will get the price down even lower.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I really need to play with those Unique loads myself. Cast loads and 4064 do well and are cheap, but using less than a third of the powder will get the price down even lower.
View Quote
I've read that IMR-4064 doesn't burn that well and leaves a bunch of unburned powder in the bore. One of the reasons I tried Unique first, total burn on the powder, and not position sensitive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've read that IMR-4064 doesn't burn that well and leaves a bunch of unburned powder in the bore. One of the reasons I tried Unique first, total burn on the powder, and not position sensitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, haven't had that problem with my 1895(longer barrel version) or Contender(12", anything unburned probably blows out).
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
20 years old I thinks. JM stamped.  I just handled a brand new one yesterday.  I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I still can't decide if I even want a 45-70. I have a feeling it wouldn't be shot much but would be fun when it is used.
If I end up with one it will be the Marlin.

Can't seem to find anything else at Cabela's I want right now.
Have scoured the gun library at all stores. Can't find much I gotta have.
However there is a 8" S&W .44 w/ scope that may be fun
View Quote
The brass makes a very satisfying sound as it ejects and hits the deck.  PPU makes some of the cheapest plinking ammo.

I am reloading it just as soon as I get the bugs worked out of my setup.

I have a case of 45-70 Hornady that I bought for a friend sitting in the next room.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I think Henry does offer a side gate model now but not in 45/70. They have a few offerings in .30 cals. They have both the gate and loading tube for those saying it's easier to unload. A while back they were going to produce side gates on their all steel receiver models but I haven't seen that come to fruition. The problems I have with tubes is I don't really care to put my hand in front of the business end of a firearm, a little cumbersome to top off and you do stand the possibility of it unknowingly slipping off in the bush. I do have a few with tubes including a Marlin 39A.

I don't own any Henries. I have Pumas, pre 64 Winchesters and mostly JM Marlins though I would like one of their pump .22's, nostalgic reasons mostly. I never really cared for Henries aesthetically speaking beyond some of the blinged models. I do own a number of levers in 45/70, 30-30, 44 mag, 357 mag, 22's usually multiples of.

Yes, Henries are probably the best out of the box feeling actions, at least the ones I've tried comparing it to other makers but that's somewhat mute in my case. What I mean by that is when I first get a lever, I'll disassemble it then give it a really good cleaning, lube, reassemble it, put on a pair of shooting gloves (levers wear on the backs of my hands after a while), have a seat in front of the tube and through the lever a couple thousand times over the course of a few days. I stop every 500 or so throws and re-clean, lube. It basically wears all the parts together much like stoning and really smooths out the actions.

I haven't really looked at buying levers for years so I can't add anything about quality nor would I say which firearm someone should purchase except that what you should do is go and try as many models as you can. The one that "feels" best to you is the one you should get.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here is an 8rnd group I shot this morning, from kneeling position supported on a bench, at 50yds. Stock Buck-Horn sights. They really should have gone with a wider square cut rear, and a straight wide blade up front. I have a really hard time picking up that brass bead front sight. My XS sights should be here tomorrow.

Load was Fed Brass, WLR Primer, 12gr Unique, 405gr RNFP Hi-Tek coated bullet. I ordered some Laser Cast 405gr to try next.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#38]
That is one dandy looking lever gun right there!, they got some in dark wood like yours and some in light wood, I love the dark, very nice setup you got.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Here is an 8rnd group I shot this morning, from kneeling position supported on a bench, at 50yds. Stock Buck-Horn sights. They really should have gone with a wider square cut rear, and a straight wide blade up front. I have a really hard time picking up that brass bead front sight. My XS sights should be here tomorrow.

Load was Fed Brass, WLR Primer, 12gr Unique, 405gr RNFP Hi-Tek coated bullet. I ordered some Laser Cast 405gr to try next.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118528/20190819_085854_jpg-1059874.JPG
View Quote
Not bad. It'll kill a deer, that's what I use mine for. 12 grains of powder instead of 47 should bring my cost down below the price of Mini-Mags. Can't argue with that!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Stumbled onto a Marlin with a peep sight and some ammo.
Action is clunky compared to my other levers but it will do the job.
My shoulder looks forward to it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Stumbled onto a Marlin with a peep sight and some ammo.
Action is clunky compared to my other levers but it will do the job.
My shoulder looks forward to it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247601/1895_jpg-1102839.JPG
View Quote
I love that stock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I absolutely love my 1895GBL. I've probably shot it well over 300 times so far (with reloads) everything from light Trailboss loads, to vision bluring teeth rattling booms!

The action was a little stiff at first, but it slicked up pretty quick. Initially I thought it'd be a range toy that I took out once in a while, but it's quickly replaced most of my time at the range and the reloading bench.

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I absolutely love my 1895GBL. I've probably shot it well over 300 times so far (with reloads) everything from light Trailboss loads, to vision bluring teeth rattling booms!

The action was a little stiff at first, but it slicked up pretty quick. Initially I thought it'd be a range toy that I took out once in a while, but it's quickly replaced most of my time at the range and the reloading bench.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133753/IMG-6004_JPG-1105945.jpg
View Quote
The round really shines with reloading, doesn't it? Sure, there are bigger guns-but it'll kill anything that needs killing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The round really shines with reloading, doesn't it? Sure, there are bigger guns-but it'll kill anything that needs killing.
View Quote
You're not kidding! This cartridge can do just about everything! I bought the book from J.S and Pat Wolf on it, and can't wait to try the three ball rounds. Supposedly pattern eight inches at fifty yards. If so, that's be amazing! Either way, I'm loading up some single ball rabbit rounds for sure this fall!
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#45]
@shack357

I got out today to try some loads with some IMR-4064 and was pleased with the results. I will probably stick with this combination for all around use.

Load:
Starline and Winchester Brass
ACME Bullets 405gr HiTek Coated bullet
42.5gr (Lee 3.1cc dipper)  IMR-4064

Chrono gave me an average of around 1300 fps for 10 rounds. Easy on the shoulder and accurate enough for me. This pic is the first group of the StarLine brass loads. Everything was exactly the same for both types of brass: trim, COAL, charge, etc. The StarLine does have less case capacity then the WW brass, but I didn't see much difference in the speed over the Chrono. The WW brass grouped a little bigger, but they were the first shots cold clean bore.

5rnds @ 100 yrds. Pretty happy with it.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: sights are XS Ghost Ring Sights, sighted for POA at 100yrds. Now have good holdovers for 200-400 yards using different hold locations on front and rear sights. Was hitting steel at 300 and 400.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice shooting...that'll work on a deer very nicely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#47]
action needs some love.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top