Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 1:07:54 PM EDT
Came across this image below of the Australian Military trouble shooting an M79 with a squib round. I know to clear squibs there's a few ways. Me personally I've used wooden dowels to tap out squibs in my guns. I imagine if I get one using a chalk round in my M203 it be the same....but how does it work if you get one with an HE/HEDP round like in the picture below? Also, just for gee whiz, would anyone know what method the Aussie is doing in that he has to tie up the M79?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been a long time since I looked at a publication with instructions for performing a stuck round procedure, but it could be anything from 'tap out with stick' to 'fill the barrel with water and put a blasting cap in it'.  On a '203, you'd most likely take the barrel off and blow it up.

The fuze needs to experience setback and centrifugal force for a period of time to arm; and it certainly didn't get enough of one, and probably not enough of the other to be armed.

It looks to me like he's setting up for a semi-remote procedure involving a broomstick and a hammer. The guy in back may be holding the hammer.

I'd pull the projo on a smoke round, and chamber and fire the casing with a piece of string

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he tied it so nobody's hands need to be around the barrel to keep it supported and pointed in a safe direction, which was smart.

When he pushes the projectile out he wants to ensure it lands on something soft, like grassy dirt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's been a long time since I looked at a publication with instructions for performing a stuck round procedure, but it could be anything from 'tap out with stick' to 'fill the barrel with water and put a blasting cap in it'.  On a '203, you'd most likely take the barrel off and blow it up.

The fuze needs to experience setback and centrifugal force for a period of time to arm; and it certainly didn't get enough of one, and probably not enough of the other to be armed.

It looks to me like he's setting up for a semi-remote procedure involving a broomstick and a hammer. The guy in back may be holding the hammer.

I'd pull the projo on a smoke round, and chamber and fire the casing with a piece of string

View Quote

Oh dang....well, can't be too bad. I mean, the men in the photo look composed...enough to have the Captain there to be up close to watch what happens.

But on a serious note....Clearly a problem majority of us won't see in the civilian world being limited to chalk rounds and such...but how often does squibs happen like in the photo in the field? I looked up both TM's for the M79 & M203 and at best the mention how to get a stuck case out. I'm assuming rare?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Relatively rare yes.

Generally due to the barrel being otherwise unserviceable due to being out of round.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a safety feature built into HEDP rounds where they don't arm until they travel a certain distance (~20 meters IIRC), so in theory it *should* be safe to tap it out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I know grog has hammered a few m781 proposals out of barrels with a wooden rod
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Coming up with the reloading guides, working up loads using different powders, I had several 781s become stuck. I did use a dowel to remove some of them, but found that loading a 212 casing with standard blank was the easiest way to get them out. They don't go very far, so prepare for orange dust.

As far as removing a stuck HEDP... I recommend caution, and that the entire squad not be standing around when you do it. I did see manual pages on misfires, but nothing that I can recall on getting an HE stuck in a barrel. I don't think I've ever heard of one doing that. GROG
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense some of the remedies you all mentioned...so continuing down this rabbit hole, what’s the procedure in actual combat for something like this? I’m picturing you ditching the weapon or barrel (for m203s) if that’s an allowable thing? I feel like if something like this could happen, it be beyond the wire in the middle of a fight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, in combat I would discard the entire launcher in a safe place (or just the barrel if it's an M203) since it is unusable at that point and now constitutes UXO.

Ideally it would be destroyed (to prevent later use by enemy forces), like if it's just the 203 barrel then shoot the hollow part a couple times (opposite the UXO) or break the cocking arm.

For a complete M79, set a thermite grenade on the receiver and run away. (Maybe it's easy to remove the barrel from an M79. IDK)

Of course there's not always time for that level of thoroughness in the heat of battle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Speaking to the original picture. I am betting that they are about to load a blank in the m79 and try to launch the stuck round that way.

The guy in the back looks to be holding an m118 style case without a projectile, and the fancy hat guy seems to be tying a string to the trigger. They also tied the launcher to the structure so the can GTFO of the way and pull the string.

Seems to be a good way of doing it and less paperwork for a destroyed launcher at the range. As was mentioned, the grenade projectile isn't armed yet
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, just for gee whiz, would anyone know what method the Aussie is doing in that he has to tie up the M79?
View Quote
That's a crazy pic.  I don't know what method he is using either, but I'm damn sure no one wants their hands near that barrel to support it while he works his magic. I'd do the same thing, but I'd tie a bag around the end of that barrel so the round will fall in the bag and not drop to the ground. I also wouldn't be that close of a spectator to the event.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked it up as I was curious when/where.

Lieutenant 'Edward Jake' Linton BEM, Clearance Diving Team 3, 8th Contingent, RAN (Royal Australian Navy) c. 1971
View Quote

Talk about an all-around odd situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top