Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2018 10:34:46 PM EDT
2 years ago I applied for 2 suppressors as an individual, each application requiring 2 finger print cards and 2 photos.

I go into my lgs with my newly acquired trust ready to apply for some more and he tells me I need 4 photos for each suppressor! He told me where each one was going but i wasn’t listening cause I was pissed I had to buy more. This man has been wrong before, is he sending my pic off to somewhere it isn’t needed or is he correct?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You only need one picture per stamp man.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Download ATF E-Form 4 (5320.4) Revised September 2017 and read the instructions. Specifically, 2.d.(5). Then, download ATF E-Form 5320.23 Revised May 2016 and read the instructions. Specifically, items 1 & 9.

ETA: damnit @FMKeith
something about a horse and water
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
1 passport photo, two finger print cards, per suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
For a Trust, yes, one photo, two cards.
The OP may be getting mixed information about an individual vs. a Trust application.

But, 4 photos? No way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you paying for passport style photos?  That's a huge waste of money- no need to do that.    Take a picture with a cell phone and print them out.  Or just have your dealer jump into the modern era and print them directly on the forms.
View Quote
Yup...I just print out a cellphone picture and then tape the edges to the form1/form 4

They are never the exact size of a passport photo and often protrude off the edges. It doesn’t cover any info and I’ve never had a denial the five times I’ve done it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a picture of myself with my cellphone against a plain colored wall, cropped it and printed it out on paper, then taped the pictures to my Form 4s.  Has worked on my last three cans
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my SBR stamp and the other photos were for the sheriffs dept.  You no longer have to get the sheriff's approval but you have to send them the information.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are you paying for passport style photos?  That's a huge waste of money- no need to do that.    Take a picture with a cell phone and print them out.  Or just have your dealer jump into the modern era and print them directly on the forms.
View Quote
Wow I feel stupid, thanks guys. Appreciate it
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You, or somebody you know, has a smart phone or tablet. Download Passport Booth...it's free. Easy peasy. Line up the camera (DIY w/ front facing camera, or have an accomplice use the rear camera and take it for you). It lines up what you need:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG_1406_PNG-636126.png

Then you can email them, print them, etc. It even gives you the option to do six on a single 4x6 print. Send that to your local drug store, etc...or print them off on plain paper at home.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG_1408_PNG-636132.png

And yes...for an individual, you need two pics. One on each copy of the forms to the ATF (CLEO copy doesn't get one).
But for an entity, one pic per person, and it goes on the ATF copy of the RPQ.
View Quote
Thank you so much for the info on the app. However, I have 6 individual stamps and I have only ever attached a single photo the the ATF copy of the form. Never been an issue so far.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm asking out of curiosity...not wanting it to come off as sarcastic or anything else.

The current forms are labeled ATF Copy, ATF Copy 2 - To Be Returned to Registrant, and CLEO Copy. I know my local dealer ignores all that and just does the first one and makes two copies to use.

Are you putting a pic on just a single F1/F4 and not the other one that goes to the ATF? If so, do they send back the one with the pic? Curious if they make heir own copy of that one to keep (without letting you know).
View Quote
My SOT prints those three forms. CLEO gets signature only and sent out. The other two get signatures and the ATF copy gets picture. The ATF Copy 2 - To Be Returned gets just signatures. Like I said. That is what I have done on 6 forms. I have 3 back with no problems and 3 more in processing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Well my lgs is persistent on it being 4 photos and won't take no for an answer. It was hard enough just talking to him without him interrupting me and telling me I'm wrong so I guess I'll just print out some more so he's happy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1 passport photo, two finger print cards, per suppressor.
View Quote
I only submit two fingerprint cards, regardless of how many form 4's.  Three stamps came back this way (2 cards total) so I submitted a large "batch" this way as well.  Hoping it works again.

Edit to add; One photo per application/can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm asking out of curiosity...not wanting it to come off as sarcastic or anything else.

The current forms are labeled ATF Copy, ATF Copy 2 - To Be Returned to Registrant, and CLEO Copy. I know my local dealer ignores all that and just does the first one and makes two copies to use.

Are you putting a pic on just a single F1/F4 and not the other one that goes to the ATF? If so, do they send back the one with the pic? Curious if they make heir own copy of that one to keep (without letting you know).
View Quote
Thanks for asking this.....I've always put a pic on each of the copies that go to the ATF.......since the late 1980's.........
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where is he putting them? That would be my next question...because there's a specific blank on the form for the pics. They're not just paperclipped like FP cards.

Or tell him to fill out his info and sign the forms, and you'll take them, fill out your part, sign them, and mail them.
View Quote
Good idea. He said he need the pictures for atf copy 1, atf copy 2, Cleo, and trust paperwork. “Wherever a space for a picture asked for, I place one”
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
It definitely used to require two passport photos for the Form 4. Now even passports just require one photo so I’m not surprised to here people saying it only takes one photo.

The guy probably misspoke because he was thinking two photos for each suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It definitely used to require two passport photos for the Form 4. Now even passports just require one photo so I’m not surprised to here people saying it only takes one photo.

The guy probably misspoke because he was thinking two photos for each suppressor.
View Quote
He definitely did NOT miss speak. I’ve asked him twice now, and he’s demanding 4 photos per suppressor (20 pictures total..)

Like Waylon said I should just send em in myself I guess. I guarantee he’ll  probably refuse and tell me, he needs to send them in. I’ll let you guys know tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty much what BW said. Bring a blank Form 4 and RPQ and walk him through each of the sections.

"See, here on the back of ATF Copy it says "Complete Only When Transferee is An Individual""
"See, here on the back of ATF Copy 2 it says "Complete Only When Transferee is An Individual""
"See, here on the back of CLEO Copy it says "Complete Only When Transferee is An Individual" and the place where a photo goes is grayed out"

Try your best to lead the horse using baby steps...

and good luck!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow OP.  Is he the only FFL in your immediate area setup for NFA purchases? I realize your already stuck with dealing with this guy but sounds like it's time to find a new one for any future NFA purchases.  Good luck getting this guy to realize you don't need all those extra photos.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
When I was a dealer 10 years ago, I snapped cellphone pics against a white wall and inserted them onto the PDF myself before printing. Never had a form rejected.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]
So this is how it went down, mind you the whole conversation he is progressively getting louder and more angry while I was talking in a calm voice not trying to cause a scene.

Me- did you happen to finish my paperwork yet? (He said he’d have it done by last Friday)

Mr. M - no, do you have my photos?

Me- about that, there a bunch of people online telling me that I only need one.

Mr M - No no no, I need 4 photos. That’s what they ask for and that’s what they get.

Me - if you read the instructions, it says you only need one. Can I get them and mail them myself?

Mr M - No you can’t, Mr. C has to sign off on them. Here! (scrambles to get paperwork)(throws papers on counter) see this box here, here, and here, all want pictures.

[slamming his finger down on each box]

Mr M - we’ll you know I’ll just have him sign them so you can just take them but we’ve never had one rejected so far.

(I turn papers over to see instructions but there weren’t any)

Me - do you have the instructions?

Mr M - (gets angrier)

Me - (I have my phone ready and start to read this off)

Attachment Attached File

Mr M - (silence) ........ well you know I have a lot of things going on and this is how I was taught. How about i call Mr C to make sure. Why is this even a big deal to you?

Me - on principal, I don’t want to send my pictures off to someone who doesn’t need them, and the hassle of getting more.

[at this point I’m walking away cause he said he’d call and find out and nothing more I could do and plenty of other customers were eating popcorn]

I get to work and 5 mins later, I see that he’s calling my phone. I answered and he just wanted my DL info. I told him I wasn’t trying to make him angry. He said it’s fine, he just has lots of thing going on and just wanted to wait for the answer from above.

In other news, I’m super happy I got my boat running after not knowing what the issue was for a month. (fail safe was engaged)
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]
He just called again and was really sorry about the whole thing and said I (you guys) were right and legal but they can request photos if they please. He just likes to send them just in case. He said he’s busy tomorrow and I can finish everything up Friday.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where is he putting them? That would be my next question...because there's a specific blank on the form for the pics. They're not just paperclipped like FP cards.

Or tell him to fill out his info and sign the forms, and you'll take them, fill out your part, sign them, and mail them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well my lgs is persistent on it being 4 photos and won't take no for an answer. It was hard enough just talking to him without him interrupting me and telling me I'm wrong so I guess I'll just print out some more so he's happy.

I've done this for all of my transfers with only one exception where I let the dealer handle everything.

I'll also say that I've only had 1 problem with the 16 transfers I've done.  I'll let people guess as to which transfer had the problem, and it's not a trick question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top