Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2023 12:07:12 PM EDT
Robert Toole or an employee of theirs, posted this on a Facebook NVG group.

From the details, its supposed to come in two varieties and work with both the 123 Scout bodies and 18650 bodies like in the Modlight.

Turns your weapon light body into a MFAL.

He says its fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Uses VCSEL lasers.

$695 is the cost it looks like.

I'm excited about this. I wanted a cheaper solution for my thermal rig, instead of using one of my PEQs.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty cool idea. I was able to add a black Bravo (IR illuminator and laser) to my cart, but received a "we're unable to receive payment from your state" message. Tried different states and same thing.

Does this place only take orders over the phone?

I have an extra M600 body and tailcap lying around and wanted to give this a go since it looks interesting for an IR only setup with a 3deg/40deg VSCEL illuminator and laser.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like separate pointer and illuminator heads. With heads, bodies, tail caps, switches, and mounts, it would be about $2000 for two devices with a true MFAL capability with 130 mW illuminator.

Corrected below.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like separate pointer and illuminator heads. With heads, bodies, tail caps, switches, and mounts, it would be about $2000 for two devices with a true MFAL capability with 130 mW illuminator.
View Quote

The product .pdf on the site shows two versions, one with vis and IR laser and another with an IR laser and a 3deg VSCEL illuminator that has a diffuser cap to take it to 40deg.

Attachment Attached File

I tried to buy the Bravo, but no joy...
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, one head option has IR pointer/IR illuminator, the other head option has IR pointer/Vis pointer. Having both would not make any sense (two IR pointers).

The issue I have with this is that the heads, specifically the IR illumination, do not have any output adjustability. That sucker is on, all 130 mW of it, and that is a LOT of illumination from a tightly focused VCSEL laser. Overpowered for indoor use, and there doesn't seem to be any method of activating just the IR pointer. There's a lot of cool things going on here, especially the compatibility with 18650/18350 and single or double 123 cells, but they've got to figure out variable output and IR pointer only before it becomes viable as a well rounded IR option.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This is really cool and a great concept. I hope it develops into something where laser and illum can be fired independently, or at the last just laser without the illum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yum
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is really cool and a great concept. I hope it develops into something where laser and illum can be fired independently, or at the last just laser without the illum.
View Quote

Phantom Hill unit without the lasers built in, perhaps? If they gave it a tape switch input or two, they'd probably have a cool solution.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The product .pdf on the site shows two versions, one with vis and IR laser and another with an IR laser and a 3deg VSCEL illuminator that has a diffuser cap to take it to 40deg.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/3EIR_JPG-2675573.JPG

View Quote

So essentially the Delta is like a CQBL, which is still super useful. The Bravo is sort of like a PEQ-2 but VCSEL and no power options.

I think these two ideas are still very usable and much needed to fill in some roles for people with limited laser options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That sucker is on, all 130 mW of it, and that is a LOT of illumination from a tightly focused VCSEL laser.
View Quote

If it performs like the PDF file shows, it will be useful as an illuminator. We will see once content creators start reviewing them.

The post on FB said they have given these to some influences and we should be seeing content soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My mistake, I was looking at the Delta model in the link. The Bravo with laser and illuminator looks cool. I'd prefer a 10 degree diffuser over a 40 degree, but maybe they will offer options like the Kiji at some point.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So essentially the Delta is like a CQBL, which is still super useful. The Bravo is sort of like a PEQ-2 but VCSEL and no power options.

I think these two ideas are still very usable and much needed to fill in some roles for people with limited laser options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that's why I wanted the Bravo. Slap an extra M600 body and clicky tailcap I have laying around on the side of a lightweight upper and run it with the diffuser on the VSCEL illuminator. If I need more range then I slide the diffuser off and let the 3 deg goodness hunt...
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I like that the Delta has co-aligned lasers. Would be neat to pair with a Kiji or original Vulcan which seems to be no longer listed. Control both with a TAPS-Sync switch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
This looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m looking at these as well.

One interesting consideration is that you are probably relying on the tightness of the head to maintain zero. If it backed off for any reason you would lose zero I assume. Return to zero after a battery change probably isn’t realistic either. Quite a detriment to the weirdos that prefer a parallel zero. Perhaps slightly remedied by witness marks/paint pen (or a proper converging zero)
You are also relying on the rigidity of your light mount. I have bent my light mounts before from drops.

For this reason I wouldn’t consider it to be for hard/professional use (regardless of how robust the head itself is).

I’m interested regardless, and I ,like most people here, are probably not going to be deploying to a war zone any time soon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One interesting consideration is that you are probably relying on the tightness of the head to maintain zero. If it backed off for any reason you would lose zero I assume. Return to zero after a battery change probably isn’t realistic either. Quite a detriment to the weirdos that prefer a parallel zero. Perhaps slightly remedied by witness marks/paint pen (or a proper converging zero)
You are also relying on the rigidity of your light mount. I have bent my light mounts before from drops.

For this reason I wouldn’t consider it to be for hard/professional use (regardless of how robust the head itself is).

I’m interested regardless, and I ,like most people here, are probably not going to be deploying to a war zone any time soon.
View Quote

All of this^^^, but still kind of cool. It couldn’t be any worse than the Surefire L72 lol.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t think its target audience will be professional or hard use customers IMO, for the reasons you listed.

But this is great for say, running at 12 o’clock on a Scout or Modlight Pistol Light with a divergent zero.

Personally, I want one to throw on my thermal rig. If anything it would be strictly for pointing something out if my hunting buddy had his goggles down, or using it to shoot <50y if I’m moving from spot to spot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#17]
If only you could fire the laser and illuminator separately I would snap one up immediately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If only you could fire the laser and illuminator separately I would snap one up immediately.
View Quote

Yeah. The only option I see there is to get the Delta (vis+IR) and pair it with a separate illuminator controlled with a Unity TAPS Sync.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don’t think its target audience will be professional or hard use customers IMO, for the reasons you listed.

But this is great for say, running at 12 o’clock on a Scout or Modlight Pistol Light with a divergent zero.

Personally, I want one to throw on my thermal rig. If anything it would be strictly for pointing something out if my hunting buddy had his goggles down, or using it to shoot <50y if I’m moving from spot to spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda what I was thinking. I have a spare pic mount M600 in the safe that I could swap the head on and be up and running with a lower profile/lighter IR laser/illuminator that uses the simple SF tail cap for activation. I'm not a fan of tape switches, so keeping the dual activation to an onboard button makes me happy.

The paint pen idea for RTZ makes sense, and getting it zeroed on the thermal gat could be as easy as getting the gun into a solid mount with the thermal reticle on the target and then moving the IR laser to the same spot under NVGs.

I messaged 3EIR about my inability to purchase and asked if it was a website issue or a "not yet available" situation. If the later, I asked for an ETA. I'll add their response here if /when they get back to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]
This with my Malkoff adapter would make a very handy night vision-capable setup on my MP5 on my existing 628 handguard. Definitely interested... but I can't see this as a serious-use system given the mounting requirements.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Phantom Hill unit without the lasers built in, perhaps? If they gave it a tape switch input or two, they'd probably have a cool solution.
View Quote

@erwos i was thinking this aswell. A narrower housing that doesnt have the phantom hill laser, just two light heads. Three buttons for left, right, or both lights. This laser head and a kiji. Option for tape switches too. Sounds like its getting pretty expensive!
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@erwos i was thinking this aswell. A narrower housing that doesnt have the phantom hill laser, just two light heads. Three buttons for left, right, or both lights. This laser head and a kiji. Option for tape switches too. Sounds like its getting pretty expensive!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but what's exciting about your idea is that as laser technology advances, you could just swap heads to upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I asked him for something like this months ago for use on my Benelli m4. I doubt I was the catalyst, but it feels tailor made!
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My mistake, I was looking at the Delta model in the link. The Bravo with laser and illuminator looks cool. I'd prefer a 10 degree diffuser over a 40 degree, but maybe they will offer options like the Kiji at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also curious to learn more about the bravo but i suspect the very wide 40 degree diffuser is meant to tame the illuminator output. At this pricepoint, I bet the output isnt going to be adjustable and itll be less useful at shorter distances.

The strongest point of the KIJI 3 is the programmability, i can tap/hold once for 15mW to use at shorter distances and then cycle it to 85mW to go further. If this thing is going to always be on full assblast 130 mW, it will be impressive but much less useful.

Here's to hoping I am wrong and low/medium/high output can be adjusted
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, one head option has IR pointer/IR illuminator, the other head option has IR pointer/Vis pointer. Having both would not make any sense (two IR pointers).

The issue I have with this is that the heads, specifically the IR illumination, do not have any output adjustability. That sucker is on, all 130 mW of it, and that is a LOT of illumination from a tightly focused VCSEL laser. Overpowered for indoor use, and there doesn't seem to be any method of activating just the IR pointer. There's a lot of cool things going on here, especially the compatibility with 18650/18350 and single or double 123 cells, but they've got to figure out variable output and IR pointer only before it becomes viable as a well rounded IR option.
View Quote

Okay, that's pretty darn cool.  I guess my only gripe that would prevent me from buying it is that you can't have the illuminator model with a vis pointer coaligned to an IR pointer.  The diffusion issue will probably be solved by Villain Weapon Systems to give us more flood.  

The price and concept is amazing.  My hats off to them for sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This was already mentioned but how does one index that light head in the same orientation every time?  How are they going to guarantee that the elevation adjustment ends up at 12 o'clock versus...wherever the threads stop or bottom out? I'm sure that's a relatively easy engineering solution but...that's above my paygrade.

Anyone have any insight into this or more information to share?  I fired off an email to 3EIR so we will see what they have to say about availability.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This was already mentioned but how does one index that light head in the same orientation every time?  How are they going to guarantee that the elevation adjustment ends up at 12 o'clock versus...wherever the threads stop or bottom out? I'm sure that's a relatively easy engineering solution but...that's above my paygrade.

Anyone have any insight into this or more information to share?  I fired off an email to 3EIR so we will see what they have to say about availability.
View Quote

It's a laser, not a precision scope. Just spin the adjustments until the dot touches the dot in your optic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's a laser, not a precision scope. Just spin the adjustments until the dot touches the dot in your optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda what I was thinking. Or there’s a thin lock washer that sits between the head and body on the threads and snugs the head up from the backside once oriented properly, though that would presumably kill any water resistance by leaving exposed threads for water to creep in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm also curious to learn more about the bravo but i suspect the very wide 40 degree diffuser is meant to tame the illuminator output. At this pricepoint, I bet the output isnt going to be adjustable and itll be less useful at shorter distances.

The strongest point of the KIJI 3 is the programmability, i can tap/hold once for 15mW to use at shorter distances and then cycle it to 85mW to go further. If this thing is going to always be on full assblast 130 mW, it will be impressive but much less useful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m guessing it’s 3deg of BLAM! or the diffuser goes on to make it a nice soft indoor use flood with the IR laser in the middle-ish of both. It’s a compromise, but the price is also less than half of the next VSCEL illuminator and IR laser I’m aware of. And this lets you use an easily sourced, lightweight, small footprint flashlight body for your mount and switch. I don’t think it’s designed to replace a PEQ-15 or MAWL. Seems like a great tool on an M300 or M600 body and tailcap on a short barrel PCC or the like.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’m guessing it’s 3deg of BLAM! or the diffuser goes on to make it a nice soft indoor use flood with the IR laser in the middle-ish of both. It’s a compromise, but the price is also less than half of the next VSCEL illuminator and IR laser I’m aware of. And this lets you use an easily sourced, lightweight, small footprint flashlight body for your mount and switch. I don’t think it’s designed to replace a PEQ-15 or MAWL. Seems like a great tool on an M300 or M600 body and tailcap on a short barrel PCC or the like.
View Quote

This is what a lot of people are missing, I think. Whether it's these units or the CTF or whatever, we're seeing the beginnings of what I think will be a very aggressive civilian market for IR pointers and illuminators. I'm thinking along the lines of a Leupold VX-5 vs a Mark 5.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is what a lot of people are missing, I think. Whether it's these units or the CTF or whatever, we're seeing the beginnings of what I think will be a very aggressive civilian market for IR pointers and illuminators. I'm thinking along the lines of a Leupold VX-5 vs a Mark 5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. And I like it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get it.  However, I don't trust zero's that have not been confirmed. I often times dont have a chance to confirm zero before going out to hunt or go on duty (not saying I would use this at work).  I charge up flashlights and all batteries for thermals before I leave to go hunt.  I'd like to think that the laser would return to zero but it's a mental issue with me.  I don't trust it until I put it on paper which I can't always do.  IF the head has some kind of "stop" that allows it to index in the same manner every time then awesome.  If it's as simple as screw it on until the adjustments are at 12 and 6 or 9 o'clock then I don't think that will be very repeatable.

I'm not expecting the world from this.  I'd just like to think that the products that are coming out are actually going to work and that they're not going to be a giant pain in the ass.  While 700 bucks isn't 3600 for a MAWL, it's still 700 dollars...

Any way you slice the pie, I like where 3EIR is going with this.  The more options we have that are VCSEL based, the happier I am.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I messaged Robert when I saw him post these on his FB. I asked the question about zeroing with a light head that rotates. He said it will have a set screw to keep it from spinning loose or changing position. He also said price point would be "around 500". I wonder if they will be less money from US Night Vision? The Designate IR-V is 1799 on US Night Vision and listed as 2099 on EIR's website. Last he said they were working on the website and would be ready to ship post SHOT show. I expect thats why you cannot actually purchase yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#34]
For 500$ I am sold on one and will live without separate laser/light control.  That is a pretty kickass value in the current market.

I am a bit curious what putting the same lasers and vcel illuminators costs 3x as much in a box (like a designate irv) as it does in another format though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I messaged Robert when I saw him post these on his FB. I asked the question about zeroing with a light head that rotates. He said it will have a set screw to keep it from spinning loose or changing position. He also said price point would be "around 500". I wonder if they will be less money from US Night Vision? The Designate IR-V is 1799 on US Night Vision and listed as 2099 on EIR's website. Last he said they were working on the website and would be ready to ship post SHOT show. I expect thats why you cannot actually purchase yet.
View Quote

Thanks for the background
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For 500$ I am sold on one and will live without separate laser/light control.  That is a pretty kickass value in the current market.

I am a bit curious what putting the same lasers and vcel illuminators costs 3x as much in a box (like a designate irv) as it does in another format though.
View Quote

It’s what the market will bear. I wonder if thing works if it’ll push some other options cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Pretty neat. Price is right too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Anybody know if they have double tap for constant on? Or do they rely on you having a switch or tailcap with a dedicated button?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anybody know if they have double tap for constant on? Or do they rely on you having a switch or tailcap with a dedicated button?
View Quote

Looks like it’s just a head swap to an existing flashlight body using the tail cap. The commands for the head are determined by the tailcap and/or tape switch that plugs into said tailcap.

No actual hands on experience, but it appears to be billed as a plug and play thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#40]
This looks like a good option for some.

I'm eagerly awaiting some independent reviews!
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone know if these are shipping?

The company is not responding to my emails and their phone has been off the hook for ages.  I'd buy one but.....yeah...don't really want to pay for something that's vaporware.

I'd also like to know if the output varies between battery types.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if these are shipping?

The company is not responding to my emails and their phone has been off the hook for ages.  I'd buy one but.....yeah...don't really want to pay for something that's vaporware.

I'd also like to know if the output varies between battery types.
View Quote

Seems like a few of us have emailed the company with no response.

These was something posted upthread about them becoming available after SHOT, but we all know how that goes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Looks like it’s just a head swap to an existing flashlight body using the tail cap. The commands for the head are determined by the tailcap and/or tape switch that plugs into said tailcap.

No actual hands on experience, but it appears to be billed as a plug and play thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but that still leaves open the question. The flashlight body is just a conductor. What the head does with the electricity is up to the head.

The reason I ask is thinking about a PL350 body which doesn't have constant on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree, but that still leaves open the question. The flashlight body is just a conductor. What the head does with the electricity is up to the head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I think we're all just working with assumptions at this point as I'm not aware of any additional info on these from the manufacturer or a reviewer at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't that due to the tail cap on the PL350?  The heads are all the same.  All modlite heads have the capability to run constant on/momentary.  Does the PL350 have the ability to accept a surefire style scout tail cap?  If so, could you clicky that setup into constant on?  I would bet so provided the threads on the PL350 body are scout style rear threads.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Isn't that due to the tail cap on the PL350?  The heads are all the same.  All modlite heads have the capability to run constant on/momentary.  Does the PL350 have the ability to accept a surefire style scout tail cap?  If so, could you clicky that setup into constant on?
View Quote

No. The PL350 switch is not user-serviceable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that due to the tail cap on the PL350?  The heads are all the same.  All modlite heads have the capability to run constant on/momentary.  Does the PL350 have the ability to accept a surefire style scout tail cap?  If so, could you clicky that setup into constant on?

Well, that just seems like a terrible host then. Seems like this thing is built for the 3 or 6v body with a swappable head and tailcap to give you clicky cap and/or tape switch capability.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why not use the PDW-350 instead?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm an idiot.  I meant the PDW350.  Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#50]
It might be interesting with the Echo Arms dual light body setup. Click cap for white light and the same or a switch for the IR laser and illuminator.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top