Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 3:23:27 PM EDT
The can launcher thread has a pretty neat solid projectile that fmj_shooter has printed.  Just wonder if anyone had done something similar only with a driving band for 40mm and to fit in an M212 or similar case?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen hollow 40mm rounds (M781 dimensions) tried but no solid projectiles yet. Seems like they wouldn't be very stable at all.

That aside - thanks for bringing that can cannon projectile to my attention! That's a fun and clever use of 3d printing. Bullet Bill ought to be black and not blue - but what fun!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy some!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been testing some,  even this morning. They just always seem to blow through the middle with standard m212 cases and blanks.  Gonna try some more later today. Had slightly better luck reenforcing them with jb weld.  

Seems like Delrin projos made on a lathe will always be the strongest.  But I havent given up yet.  I did print a shot cup for my can cannon and it works well
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
And just for mention,  the army did have success printing driving bands onto aluminum or steel m203 projectiles with an FDM printer
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I've been testing some,  even this morning. They just always seem to blow through the middle with standard m212 cases and blanks.  Gonna try some more later today. Had slightly better luck reenforcing them with jb weld.  

Seems like Delrin projos made on a lathe will always be the strongest.  But I havent given up yet.  I did print a shot cup for my can cannon and it works well
View Quote

If you post a few pictures of the failures I may be able to help. I have some experience with much larger pushers and there is definitely a way to get them to work.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll try to get some posted up tonight.  I did get one to go downrange and hit my berm,  though a few pieces of plastic came off. Part of the problem is how the m212 case directs the high pressure straight into the back of the projectile. It would be much easier if I were to reload the short flare style cases that vent the gases sideways from the HP chamber to the LP chamber.  They are much easier on the projectiles.  I have an idea on how to reload them,  but it'll take some free time at work on the lathe
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A thin piece of metal on the back of your projectile should also help in this instance. Most of your FDM printed plastics don't like getting hit directly with a jet of combustion gases.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I'll try to get some posted up tonight.  I did get one to go downrange and hit my berm,  though a few pieces of plastic came off. Part of the problem is how the m212 case directs the high pressure straight into the back of the projectile. It would be much easier if I were to reload the short flare style cases that vent the gases sideways from the HP chamber to the LP chamber.  They are much easier on the projectiles.  I have an idea on how to reload them,  but it'll take some free time at work on the lathe
View Quote

Let me tinker with a 40mm case. I'll see if I can make one of the eXact iMpact reloadable cases divert the gas to the side via a number of ports while blocking the usual top vent.

If I can, I'll send it to you for further experimentation.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
https://youtu.be/-tpATme17sY

Got this one to work.  I'll be trying higher power blanks soon to figure out the right combination. I will keep posting my progress as I go.  So make sure you stay tuned.  I will share my findings and may even spread the stl files to those that want it for personal use (like I did with my nosecone file).

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/-tpATme17sY

Got this one to work.  I'll be trying higher power blanks soon to figure out the right combination. I will keep posting my progress as I go.  So make sure you stay tuned.  I will share my findings and may even spread the stl files to those that want it for personal use (like I did with my nosecone file).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpATme17sY
View Quote
@SGT-Fish any chance you could share that nosecone file? I created one in tinkercad and have printed off a dozen or so to take to an arf shoot, but I don't even have the launcher - so no way to test and verify mine actually work
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Send me your email address in a pm.  Or post it here.  I'll try to send it tonight.  I just make sure everyone knows that it's for non-commercial use only.  No selling it or cones made from it.  

I'm hoping to eventually put together a file pack of 40mm stl files to share on the internet. I have a decent number put together already.  Things like this projo just need more testing and precise directions on what blanks to use whatnot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Send me your email address in a pm.  Or post it here.  I'll try to send it tonight.  I just make sure everyone knows that it's for non-commercial use only.  No selling it or cones made from it.  

I'm hoping to eventually put together a file pack of 40mm stl files to share on the internet. I have a decent number put together already.  Things like this projo just need more testing and precise directions on what blanks to use whatnot.
View Quote
Great, thank you so much! I just sent a pm w/ my email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top