Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2018 6:52:19 PM EDT
Tweeter posted a great thread a while back asking us to improve the content of this board. I posted in that thread that I would share what I've learned, so here's my first go at it.

I think the Beavertail packs are an area that could use an open discussion. I use the Blackhawk Cyane pack. I've used it for about 2.5 years, I'll type up some thoughts about it specifically at the end of this post but I want this thread to be about what you carry in yours and why.

In the outer pocket I keep NOD, Garmin, and PEQ-15 batteries and some 550 cord. That's all shit that when I need it, I need it RFN so I keep it in the easiest pocket to access.

In the pocket with the opening in the beaver tail I keep a weapons maintenance kit with CLP. That's it. I used to keep a VS17 panel in there too but I moved that to my MR SATL because if I'm using the VS17 panel to mark an HLZ, the SATL will be heavy enough to keep the panel on the ground from any rotor wash. Moving the VS17 panel out also allows me to know exactly where my weapon maintenance kit is and I don't have to pull out other shit to get to it. Like with the batteries, if needing what's in that pocket, I need it RFN.

In the large main pocket I keep an ECWCS wind shell, USMC Waffle top (because pockets, it is being washed right now), a field stripped MRE and protein bar. I keep the food in the bottom of the main pocket because if I have enough time to eat, I have enough time to dig it out. I keep a 3L Hydration bladder in there filled. If I need to go with a waterproof jacket instead of the wind shell I swap that out.

I use the PALS webbing to keep a 1L Nalgene in a Camelbak pouch. On the opposite side I usually keep a 1Q canteen pouch on that PALS webbing with one of two things in it: a 1Q canteen with NBC mask compatible drinking cap or a padded insert and keep my NOD in it.

That's it,  its all packed up.

But not really... You'll notice I didn't cover what goes in the Beavertail part. That's because it's mission dependant. That's where you sould be putting any additional ammo (it can easily hold a .30 cal ammo can), a site exploration kit, HME/GSR test kit, flex cuff/blindfolds/small money shot dry erase board, mobile biometrics collection kit (HIIDE or SEEK), CLS bag, or whatever you will need to be able to do your job.

36 hours is all I see this pack being good for. After that, it is time to RTB or Refit. If you can go longer than 36 hours on mission without it, I don't really see a point in keeping it in a Beavertail style pack. 36 hours should be a short enough time where the SWO, S2, or SWOT dudes can give you an accurate weather forecast, so you'll know exactly what you'll need instead of carrying something "just in case".

I almost forgot about the small top outside pocket. I keep caffeine drink packets in it. Two of those in a 1L Nalgene gives you 120mg of caffeine. You could fit a pack of cigarettes or two cans of dip in there if that's what you use to stay awake.

This went longer than I thought, so I'll add the part specifically about the Blackhawk Cyane pack in few hours or day or two.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I dig it. That kind of versatility is why I kept my old DCU Camelbak Motherlode, the old school one with the better layout than the new 600D nylon one. This old bag has been a near constant companion across four continents, and it has been awesome. I can strip it down, cinch it up and it's an EDC bag, or I can add pouches and expand it to a 3-day bag good for about a week. The compartments are well thought-out and organized, and include plenty of pen slots and dual radio pouches with shock cord retainers in the secondary pocket. The hydration compartment does dual duty as a laptop sleeve, or I can haul file folders and paperwork in it. The exterior MOLLE webbing is set up to accept a wide variety of pouches, to include the waistpack from the MOLLE Rifleman's Kit, which attaches neatly under the "humped" part of the front surface of the pack. There are two strips of Velcro on the front pocket surface that are sized for name tapes and not much else. I'd trade one row of MOLLE for a wider strip of Velcro.

I also have a TAD FAST Pack Litespeed that is a bit closer in concept to what you have pictured here. I removed the beavertail to streamline the pack as far as straps and buckles, and attached MOLLE pouches instead. I don't carry a ton of stuff, so the main compartment is enough space for my Goretex, Maxpedition Fatty with all my tools and stuff, as well as any other cargo I might need for the day. I used mine for photographic activities, and added two Countycomm bottle pouches to the sides for large lenses and my collapsible tripod.

Noticed that TAD has come out with a V.2 FAST Pack Litespeed that addressed some of the minor gigs of the old one, mainly the omission of the two top shoulder strap buckles that you had to undo IOT open the main compartment. They've cleaned up the exterior strap and buckle arrangements and a few other changes that have made a good assault pack a good deal better. With that in mind, I snagged one on the EE from a guy in Afghanistan. It should be at my door by the time I get home from sunny Africa, and I'll set it up and add some pics.

I hear that TAD is set to come out with a range of new accessories for their FAST series packs, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these packs develop and grow in concept.

Packs and bags are a never ending accumulation of capabilities and purposes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the writeup, this is relevant to my current interests. I am back in the army now and trying to put together some gear. One of the pieces I picked up was a eagle yote which is basically the same as the beavertail you are running. When I get all my TA50 I will have a little more direction. The expandability of the beavertail design is nice. I also got an emdom vehicle hydration carrier for a lower profile for vehicle mounted shit.
When I finish setting up my carrier and 2nd/3rd line gear I will try and post it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome write up!

I've got the same pack.. Purchased only after I looked everywhere for an Eagle Yote.

'Tho a blackhawk.. I'm quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Specifically to the Blackhawk Cyane;

Pros:
Three rows of PALS webbing on the side
The mesh has held up very well, I've shredded Kelty mesh pockets long before this point in time
Hook in the main pack for the water bladder

Cons:
Imported
I've had a buckle crack on the bottom, not really able to the field repaired

I don't like the zipper pulls, they cause you to pull on the zipper at an angle which normally wouldn't cause issues but in fine sand it makes the zippers difficult to open or close at times

I'd really like to put the AWS pack thru its paces but they don't appear to be selling it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This might help for that field repair:

http://na.itwnexus.com/content/gtsr-split-bar-body
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a SORD beavertail pack but I love them in general  for go bags.

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a SORD beavertail pack but I love them in general  for go bags.

https://i.imgur.com/zc8hFKS.jpg
View Quote
Kinda off-topic, but could you share some details about that ruck setup to the right? It looks to be well thought-out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a London bridge communicator, it's a radio pack on an Alice frame with an expandable compartment on the bottom. Similar in layout to some of their medical packs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you call AWS they may make you one.  I bought one about 6 months ago, it wasn’t listed on the website, and they took my order over the phone and sent direct to me.

On the thread topic: I personally like the AWS Yote for size and beaver tail capacity, it fits a helmet with nods well and has enough internal capacity for water and warming layers, etc.  Mille on the sides as opposed to the fixed pouches of Eagle’s design is a plus IMO, too.

Cons:  the stitching quality is not on par with Eagle, or BFG, or First Spear, at least on the pack I have.  It had a lot of IPs and the tacking in certain areas doesn’t appear as substantial as on other packs I’ve had.  That said, nothing has broken or fallen apart yet either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found I really like the fixed pouches on the side of the Eagle yote. I store spare magazines in them, they are still somewhat accessible and the size is perfect so there's no flop under the weight. The bottom of those pockets is also a great place to route commo cables to run an antenna on the pack.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of these Blackhawk bags and really like it but never really carry it.  It goes to work every once and a while when I need to take a pile of stuff and parts in.  I carried it around the NRAAM, and it worked well except for a few hot spots.  One was on my right chest under the strap. No idea why.  The MOLLE straps on the back (or front, facing your back) started to wear on my back.  
Other than those 2 things, the pack worked out fine.  My wife even commented how she thought it was cool.

I need to add a pouch or 2 to the sides to complete it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Dig this thread, can't say I've seen one before.

Here's an old pic of my Eagle Industries Yote, which I'd say is my 2nd most carried pack:

The guts are pretty similar to OPs:
*3L Source bladder with Camelbak bite valve
*HSGI Bleeder BOK
*Basic boo-boo kit/hand sanitizer/Benadryl itch relief stick
*550 Cord
*couple chem lights/1 Lazer Brite battery powered chem light
*couple M4 mags
*batteries(AA, AAA, CR123s, 1 3/N Aimpoint)

ETA: soft shell or Goretex in the Beavertail portion depending on weather/expected weather and or lid with PVS-14s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you call AWS they may make you one.  I bought one about 6 months ago, it wasn’t listed on the website, and they took my order over the phone and sent direct to me.

On the thread topic: I personally like the AWS Yote for size and beaver tail capacity, it fits a helmet with nods well and has enough internal capacity for water and warming layers, etc.  Mille on the sides as opposed to the fixed pouches of Eagle’s design is a plus IMO, too.

Cons:  the stitching quality is not on par with Eagle, or BFG, or First Spear, at least on the pack I have.  It had a lot of IPs and the tacking in certain areas doesn’t appear as substantial as on other packs I’ve had.  That said, nothing has broken or fallen apart yet either.
View Quote
I think I'm going to order an AWS beavertail within a month.  @sdwornicki is your pack still functioning well?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dig this thread, can't say I've seen one before.

Here's an old pic of my Eagle Industries Yote, which I'd say is my 2nd most carried pack:
https://i.imgur.com/AoX8Pvw.jpg

The guts are pretty similar to OPs:
*3L Source bladder with Camelbak bite valve
*HSGI Bleeder BOK
*Basic boo-boo kit/hand sanitizer/Benadryl itch relief stick
*550 Cord
*couple chem lights/1 Lazer Brite battery powered chem light
*couple M4 mags
*batteries(AA, AAA, CR123s, 1 3/N Aimpoint)
https://i.imgur.com/B6EQgfV.jpg

ETA: soft shell or Goretex in the Beavertail portion depending on weather/expected weather and or lid with PVS-14s.
View Quote
A bit off topic, but what color/brand/where did you get the paint marker that you used to number your mags?  All the craft stores around me only seem to have simple primary colors for their paint markers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be honest this is the first time I've heard the term "beavertail pack".  Is this just a smaller backpack with an extended lower pocket?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be honest this is the first time I've heard the term "beavertail pack".  Is this just a smaller backpack with an extended lower pocket?
View Quote
Yes, an assault pack sized backpack with an outer flap that is expandable and allows carrying a helmet, jacket, or any other similar item on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to order an AWS beavertail within a month.  @sdwornicki is your pack still functioning well?
View Quote
Yes.  I have had some fairly heavy loads in it recently, and despite my finish/stitching concerns, nothing has come of it.  More aesthetics than anything I guess, everything is holding up well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A bit off topic, but what color/brand/where did you get the paint marker that you used to number your mags?  All the craft stores around me only seem to have simple primary colors for their paint markers.
View Quote
That looks like a Skilcraft green paint marker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top