Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2022 12:47:13 AM EDT
I was hoping to find out if there are any other 308 battle rifles with 5.56 conversions.

I know the Mk17 / 17S has 5.56 conversion kits that are unobtainium.

Also I know the colt CM762 / LE901 and the ability to take normal AR 5.56 uppers.

Any others?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was hoping to find out if there are any other 308 battle rifles with 5.56 conversions.

I know the Mk17 / 17S has 5.56 conversion kits that are unobtainium.

Also I know the colt CM762 / LE901 and the ability to take normal AR 5.56 uppers.

Any others?
View Quote

Going about this all wrong. The sacred scroll of Wife-jit-su demands that any reason upon needed another platform is answered with many new purchases.

Jokes aside. I find it the same with any multipurpouse machine. Including saws and woodworking equipment. Even quick change 223 to 300 blk never end up getting changed. They just sit until you buy a new upper or both.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Going about this all wrong. The sacred scroll of Wife-jit-su demands that any reason upon needed another platform is answered with many new purchases.

Jokes aside. I find it the same with any multipurpouse machine. Including saws and woodworking equipment. Even quick change 223 to 300 blk never end up getting changed. They just sit until you buy a new upper or both.
View Quote
This is the truth. No one actually changes their barrels in practice. But if you really want it try the MDRX. Same chassis, swappable 5.56 and .308 (and others)

Another option is the XCR. Swappable barrels but you aren't going to be swapping from 5.56 to .308. They have a "Light" caliber frame and a "Medium" caliber frame. 5.56 is classified as "light" .308 is classified as "medium" but there are a bunch of other swappable caliber options within those frame options. I also hear their production times are coming down recently.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Don’t bother. Buy and set up individual rifles based upon your needs and wants. The multi caliber, multi configuration system is interesting in theory, but not really of merit unless you’re maintaining a fleet. And even then it has its drawbacks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I suspect the main reason they aren’t too popular as not many people want the weight of a 7.62 rifle in a 5.56 gun.  Also, there is the cost of the conversion.  I had a Colt LE901 with the 5.56 conversion, and it just wasn’t worth it.  It ended up just being a heavy 5.56.  Plus, the magwell insert for the 5.56 mags didn’t have any flaring at the bottom, and it was easy to get the mag hung up on the edge of the insert during mag changes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The only one I am aware of is the Colt 901 that you could change things out and add a 5.56 upper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a LE901, and I’ve never put a 5.56 upper on it. I bought it because I wanted a .308 battle rifle.

I have plenty of 5.56 rifles, if I want to shoot that caliber.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don’t bother. Buy and set up individual rifles based upon your needs and wants. The multi caliber, multi configuration system is interesting in theory, but not really of merit unless you’re maintaining a fleet. And even then it has its drawbacks.
View Quote

I agree with this.  To each rifle a purpose, to each purpose a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Beretta's ARX had a cool 7.62x39 conversation kit that used AK mags, but they never sold it commercially. I'll never understand what drives decisions in that company.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beretta's ARX had a cool 7.62x39 conversation kit that used AK mags, but they never sold it commercially. I'll never understand what drives decisions in that company.
View Quote

Yep.  ARX has went the way of the ACR in terms of support, but at least the ACR eventually got the different caliber conversions eventually.

Closest thing now is probably the CZ Bren 2.  I believe changing calibers is as simple as new barrel, bolt face, and magwell insert.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Olympic had a Colt LE 901 type set up as well, OP.

Brazil made the FAL in 5.56x45mm, Springfield imported a few.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The Colt is probably the most practical setup.

The old MGI modular lower wasn’t bad either
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top