Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 10:28:24 AM EDT
I decided before I had kids that when I had them I didn’t want them to lose as much of their hearing to guns as I have. When my first son was born I picked out a 22, pistol, and 30cal rifle can.  Now we have our second son who is 2 months old so it’s time to start the wait times for him.  So far here is where I stand with suppressors

Mask 22-me
Tbac takedown 22- son 1
Rugged obsidian 45-me
Silencerco octane 45-son 1
Tbac ultra 9 DT - me
Sico omega 30- son 1
Salvo 12- me

I don’t mind duplicates for son 2 if that is the best option.  Also prefer so stay with the more established companies if possible.  Here are a couple thoughts I have

22: looking for low frp like both I have however the tbac has shorter threads so some guns require a spacer. Don’t like that.  I’ve thought about a sparrow or another mask

Pistol: prefer to stay with a 45 can. Also. Prefer to keep with the same style pistons so all three will be able to share. Also prefer to be able to shoot calibers such as 44 mag, 350 legend etc.

Rifle:  I’ve found I prefer the direct thread cans, poi shift is non existent, no chance of launching it off the rifle.  This becomes a lot bigger issue when shooting hogs in the woods, I would never find the can out there vs a manicured range.  I’m leaning towards a tbac ultra 7 or 9.  My omega is definitely louder than my ultra 9.

Let’s spend some money!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
As a fellow Mask owner I'd vote for a second or even a third so you all 3 can have a suppressed plinker being utilized concurrently at the range/in the field when they are older ;) With your current cans if you buy 2 more Masks or 1 plus another take down  it means your other half can also join in on the fun.  Having them all the same with your boys eliminates those sibling arguments that are bound to happen when one child feels the other one got cheated with something inferior.  Believe me when I say it will happen so keep this in mind ;) Same can, same host or your just asking for bickering lol.

I can't comment on the centerfire pistols yet so I'll defer to others around here who can give you more solid advice but I've seen mostly favorable comments on the Rugged line of stuff so I'm sure you could probably just get another Obsidian and be done with it.

For centerfire rifles don't discount all QD systems.  Dead Air and YHM each have arguably some of the most solid options out there and I don't think I've ever heard of any instances of someone reporting shooting their can off with either of those options. You can direct thread your Omega as you already know and ditch that ASR for a multitude of better options now.  The already mentioned Dead Air and YHM option, Q's cherry bomb, Griffin's Plan A etc.....  

With YHM offering some killer value these days you could set the boys up with some inexpensive identical AR15 carbines with a pair of dedicated Turbos or Turbo Ks and not break the bank.  In the mean time you and your other half could enjoy them.  Call it quality control or a poison check etc...........

Final thought, with 4 identical suppressed .22 plinkers those boys could dual wield them lol.   You tempted me to spend "your" money lmao.

Joking aside it's great your both providing your sons some quality suppressors to inherit.  I wish I had been so fortunate.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how young you start your kids shooting, weight may be a big factor, especially on pistols.  My son has a tough time holding up my 22/45 lite with the mask on the end, otherwise I am a huge mask fan, but something stupid lightweight like the erector would work well for small kids.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
According to Tbac, the omega 300 and Ultra 7 meter the same. Therefore if you want max suppression stick to the ultra 9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top