Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 10:24:27 AM EDT
I found this very lightly used .45 T/C ML yesterday. It came with around 100 round balls, patches, lube, ball starter, a couple in-line cappers, a couple of full tins of caps, and assorted cleaning stuff. Pretty much everything but powder. I gave $200.00 for it.

Attachment Attached File

There is no model designation roll-marked on it but the lines, smaller size, smaller rear sight, and hardware reminds me more of the Seneca than the Hawken.....Both were made in .45.

T/Cs records were destroyed in a fire so it's hard to pin down a exact year by serial but from the stabs that some sites have taken at establishing a serial/features database it looks like a mid-70s era rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It appears to be a Seneca as you thought.

Shoot real BP through it and you'll almost never have a misfire or hangfire.Real BP is LESS corrosive than Pyrodex and lights off much easier than any of the substitutes.

About 50gr Fffg will probably end up being what it likes,mine shoots 55gr for about a 2" or less group @50yrd.It won't need a huge amount of powder to be accurate.

Consistency with loading process will give big rewards

Make smoke,enjoy
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Shoot real BP through it and you'll almost never have a misfire or hangfire.Real BP is LESS corrosive than Pyrodex and lights off much easier than any of the substitutes.

About 50gr Fffg will probably end up being what it likes,mine shoots 55gr for about a 2" or less group @50yrd.It won't need a huge amount of powder to be accurate.

Make smoke,enjoy
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make smoke,enjoy
View Quote

Yeah, my plan was to start with 45 gr of FFF and round ball and work-up. I already have about a pound and a half of Goex FFF I use in my C&B revolvers and what with all the "possibles" I got with the rifle I should be GTG for a while.

All I really need is a better ram/cleaning rod as I really don't trust the OEM hickory rod, especially one of only 5/16 in diameter. Track of the Wolf has a delrin rod for the Seneca, sadly I can't find a Treso rod.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The brass plate on the underside of the buttstock at the toe is a sure sign that you have a Seneca and yours appears quite nice.  T/C also made a .36 caliber barrel for the Seneca as did custom barrel makers.  You are going to like shooting it a lot!  Congratulations on a great find at a wonderful price.  They have become somewhat of a collectors piece.  If my memory serves me correctly, the lock is the same one  that was used on the Patriot Pistol which was also available in .36 caliber and .45 caliber.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Man that is nice I want one just like it. Been thinking aboutdoing this myself.  Good find.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
you are correct about the lock,I have both the 45 and 36 Seneca, 45 and 36 cal patriots all are great shooters.

As far as range rod etc goes I found some 5/16 fiberglass rods with a very slick finish at Ace Hardware used for  chimney brushes,ordered end pieces from Track of the Wolf constructed rods by epoxying and cross pinning the ends for my .40 cal Southern Mountain flinter and all my small bore TC's.

The rods are never introduced into the bore without a bore guide so no chance of ruining the crown......I know the nay sayers are about to appear.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Man that is nice I want one just like it. Been thinking about doing this myself.  Good find.
View Quote

I got lucky on it....I was sitting around at my LGS waiting on a approval for a S&W 15-22 I bought and a customer came in with the Seneca and a box of stuff to go with it to trade-in. They allowed $150.00 on trade and when the deal was done I asked how much they wanted for it. They said $200.00 so I bought it.....A quick $50.00 profit for them.

LOL....I got a bit of a surprise in the box of "stuff". There was a dirty plastic sleeve with a S&W cleaning rod, .38 brush, mop, screwdriver, and a rear sight adjustment tool that I can easily get $50.00 for on eBay.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.

I had a .45 T/c Cherokee I should have kept and got the .32 caliber barrel to go with it.

I saw a .32 cherokee in mint shape in a local shop with an asking price nearing 900.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
excellent score.

40-60 grain charges. like others have said 50-60 gr should find a sweet spot

alot of people overload their BP rifles with RB and the amount of BP they load.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
excellent score.

40-60 grain charges. like others have said 50-60 gr should find a sweet spot

alot of people overload their BP rifles with RB and the amount of BP they load.

View Quote

I have used the "white sheet method" in the past to check for unburned powder as I worked-up a load. I remember the wife going on about how she could not find a twin cover sheet I filched.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats a good deal on a nice rifle.  I shot my Dad's Seneca when I was a young man and had a newer .54 cal TC Hawken but didn't like it as much.  i am looking at a 50 cal TC now and guy is asking $325 - looks like new but no accessories.  Caps are hard to find around here.  
Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I found this very lightly used .45 T/C ML yesterday. It came with around 100 round balls, patches, lube, ball starter, a couple in-line cappers, a couple of full tins of caps, and assorted cleaning stuff. Pretty much everything but powder. I gave $200.00 for it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/t_001__2__JPG-1810345.JPG

There is no model designation roll-marked on it but the lines, smaller size, smaller rear sight, and hardware reminds me more of the Seneca than the Hawken.....Both were made in .45.

T/Cs records were destroyed in a fire so it's hard to pin down a exact year by serial but from the stabs that some sites have taken at establishing a serial/features database it looks like a mid-70s era rifle.
View Quote

Man, you are always finding great deals. I'm jealous. I remember those from the 70's. They are very svelte. I need to get out and cruise the shops. I'm happy for you, that's a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
What he said.
Good deal.
I've got a .45 Hawken flintlock. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
goldmine.

I have always looked for one, but never saw one in the wild.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#15]
@ 1srelluc
If you're interested,  I'll send these to you.
Don't have any use for them.
Don't know what rifling they have, might work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top