Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2018 4:20:41 PM EDT
Bought it in Cabela's for $300, was marked $325.  J prefix serial number.    Few scratches in the stock, minor honest wear to the bluing.  Bore is bright and shiny, wouldn't surprise me if it has less than 100 rounds through it.  Can't wait to mount a decent scope (my aging eyes can't hunt with irons anymore) and take it to the range.

I think it was a decent deal, any thoughts?  Oh yeah, Cabela's points paid for it, so basically free.  Never paid them a dime of interest in the 20 years I've had the card, thousands in free stuff!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.
I also just bought a Vintage 336 J Marlin this year and took it hunting..
3 dead deer w only 3 shots..none of them even took a step.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Good buy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like it, will love it if it can hold 2 inches at 100.  Like holding a piece of history, 66 years old.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the find.
It should have a waffle top reciever not tapped for a scope mount.
How do you plan to mount the optics?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a waffle top, which I only recently found out what that is!  It is drilled and tapped already, came with an ancient 4x Weaver on see through mounts, totally groovy 70's and basically useless.    So the collector value has already been reduced greatly I would imagine.  I don't really mind, as I want to hunt with it.  Cleaned it up and it looks great!  Going to mount a 1-4x Leupold hog scope I have with warne qd rings, so I can still shoot the irons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 1958 vintage 336 a few years ago for a similar amount.  I mounted a aperture site.  Much easier than the original buckhorn site for my old eyes
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a '52 waffle top in 35 Remington myself a year or two back. was going to make a mini guide gun with it but couldn't bring myself to do it. want to buy a set of Williams fire sights. lol the guy I sold it to didn't want them so just sitting in the parts bin never even installed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a really nice 1976 model several years ago and it’s a great shooting rifle. I don’t know how many deer it killed before I got it but I’ve added about 10 to it’s body count.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
That scope set up is definitely not useless.

And where do you get off talking about such a nice gun and not post pics?  Man, some people's kids.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That scope set up is definitely not useless.

And where do you get off talking about such a nice gun and not post pics?  Man, some people's kids.  
View Quote
I guess useless was strong, but I prefer a cheek weld not a chin weld.  Also prefer new glass not a cloudy ancient Weaver. .  I wish I was a kid, then maybe I would have the motivation to figure out how to post pics!

Got the scope mounted (1x4 Leupold hog that I had laying around) in the QD rings.  It's sweet, can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot it yesterday, Winchester 170 grain powerpoints.   Got it sighted in at 100, 2 inches high.  Groups were more than acceptable, around 2 inches.  Perfectly fine for this rifle.  Shot my Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor, which is a tack driver, but honestly the Marlin has more "soul".  Fun rifle, next season I hope to tag a deer with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have my Dad’s 336 SC (Sporting Carbine) in .32 Winchester Special. I believe it was made early ‘50s but don’t know what year. I am guessing ‘53 but son’t really know. He had it drilled and tapped in the ‘60s and had see thru rings and a steel tube ElPaso. K4 Weaver mounted. I never liked the see thru rings either but he loved it and as it was his only centerfire rifle for about 35 years it killed a lot of white tails.

It’s no target rifle but it is capable of 2”+/- at 100 yards or so.

I took the scope and rings off and mounted a Williams FP receiver sight. The rings are in my parts box but the scope is mounted on an old Stevens model 15B single shot .22LR
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have my Dad's 336 SC (Sporting Carbine) in .32 Winchester Special. I believe it was made early '50s but don't know what year. I am guessing '53 but son't really know. He had it drilled and tapped in the '60s and had see thru rings and a steel tube ElPaso. K4 Weaver mounted. I never liked the see thru rings either but he loved it and as it was his only centerfire rifle for about 35 years it killed a lot of white tails.

It's no target rifle but it is capable of 2"+/- at 100 yards or so.

I took the scope and rings off and mounted a Williams FP receiver sight. The rings are in my parts box but the scope is mounted on an old Stevens model 15B single shot .22LR
View Quote
It is pretty easy to figure out the year it was made using the serial number.  Just Google Marlin year of manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Update- started with Winchester 170 pp's and Remington 150 core loks.  Group sizes were decent at 100 yards, 2 to 2 1/2 inches.  Perfectly fine, but picked up Hornady 150 American Whitetail group sizes of 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards.  I was kind of shocked.  Should have started with Hornady, it's my go to brand, always had good luck.

Is that group size really necessary in a 200 yard gun?  Nope, but makes me feel all warm and tingly!   200 rounds inbound from SG Ammo.  I considered handloading, but this isn't a plinker, so by the time I bought dies, brass, bullets and powder, and then took the time to work up a load, not close to worth it.   $185 for what will probably be a lifetime supply of hunting ammo.

Can't wait to hunt with it, as I get older my appreciation for stepping back is growing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top