Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2020 9:40:45 PM EDT
Pistol: Factory Colt Competition SS 9mm

Ammo:
-- Blue Bullet 147gr Rn
-- Top Brass once fired, cleaned, resized, etc.
-- CFE Pistol 3.5gr
-- Federal Gold Medal SPP Match

The above pistol eats 115gr Blazer Brass & 150gr Federal Syntech with no problem.

The above load does not fully drop into the 1911 chamber (plunk test?).
The above load drops in a Dillon 9mm case gauge with no problem.
The above load functions with no problem in a Walther Q5 Match & PPQ 4".
The above loads are loaded on an XL750.
The dies are ...
-- Hornady Custom 3-die set using resizing & seating dies
-- Dillon for expander die
-- Lee Factory Crimp die for crimping
Dies adjusted according to Dillon YT video.

From reading various threads about this, it seems to be related to either a tight chamber or not fully crimped.

Based on what I can surmise, it looks like I need the Colt barrel reamed out a bit? What say yee?

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Too tight of a crimp can cause problems like that.   Obvi too light a crimp ditto.  Those chamber check gauges are usually pretty generous too.

You should just be ironing out the bell, not really crimping.

Reaming should be the final choice and I doubt that’s it.

Wait, it eats factory, no reaming.   Post a pic of your reload.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Make a dummy round.

Seat the bullet deeper by a few thousands at a time till it chambers properly.

Then start your work up.

Chances are your bullet is just too far out and it is engaging the lands.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you asked for opinions...

It sounds premature to  consider a chamber modification.

Chamber mods are in the realm of graduate level shooting, not for the normal rig or how to solve what may turn out to be a temporary sizing, seating, or bullet problem.

I would advise you to exhaust those three topics on your own as best you can, then seek outside help if you can't figure that out on your own, long before you should custom chamber your bbl.

There are some good reasons to taylor a chamber to a specific situation, but debugging doesn't make me think jumping to cutting the bbl is wise.

I would check your reloads against factory ammo that works in several dimensions and go from there.

Is your case sized properly?

Are you seating properly? (Flare, straight, taper crimp, roll crimp, bulged neck, etc., all part of seating. Seating depth of your bullet?)

Is the bullet profile one you have worked with before? Does it need a different depth or profile?

I would run these issues all down before I would ever consider a chamber modification.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a similar issue with my LWD barrel in my g17. My remedy was sizing with a Lee die on a single stage press.

My cases passed a Dillon case gage and Lyman gage but but failed the barrel. I also had issues with an SP101 that was fixed the same way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a similar problem in the past. A Lee U die (undersized die) allowed for minimal crimp with no bullet setback and 100% pass rate with a case gauge.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too tight of a crimp can cause problems like that.   Obvi too light a crimp ditto.  Those chamber check gauges are usually pretty generous too.

Reaming should be the final choice and I doubt that's it.

View Quote
Gimme a sec and I'll post pics. Including another load with the same problem (trying not to muddy up the issue).

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Make a dummy round.

Then start your work up.

View Quote
I've got 2 loads that don't chamber. The posted load is OAL 1.150 ... another load with the same issue is OAL 1.050 147gr FN.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
L->R

Federal 150gr Syntech, (me) Black Bullet 147gr FN*, CCI Blazer Brass 115gr, (me) Blue Bullet 147gr RN**
* Both measured 1.050" OAL
** Both measured 1.150" OAL

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
L->R

Federal 150gr Syntech, (me) Black Bullet 147gr FN*, CCI Blazer Brass 115gr, (me) Blue Bullet 147gr RN**
* Both measured 1.050" OAL
** Both measured 1.150" OAL

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20201019_213522-1644662.jpg
View Quote

You can almost visually see the ogive of your bullets being higher than the other 2. Recommended OAL is recommended and may not work in all firearms.

I still stand by my recommendation to shorten your OAL incrementally till you get proper plunk test results.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can almost visually see the ogive of your bullets being higher than the other 2. Recommended OAL is recommended and may not work in all firearms.

I still stand by my recommendation to shorten your OAL incrementally till you get proper plunk test results.
View Quote
I got zero problemo with seating deeper and using the barrel as the case gauge. But that leaves an unanswered question in my mind that these loads drop freely in a case gauge and function/fire with no problem in other 9mm handguns.

I will make a dummy round that fits the barrel and do some sample firing in both firearms.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ogives on your 2 bullets look longer/further out than the 2 others. The longer ogive will hit the rifling which then prevents the round from fully seating. And this is a variable from one gun to another.
I would do as suggested and load some dummy rounds seating deeper in about .010 increments and try them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got zero problemo with seating deeper and using the barrel as the case gauge. But that leaves an unanswered question in my mind that these loads drop freely in a case gauge and function/fire with no problem in other 9mm handguns.

I will make a dummy round that fits the barrel and do some sample firing in both firearms.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You raise a fair point. All I can tell you is that sometimes the reamer is designed per specs right up to the end of the case, but then those subtle differences at the rifling interface are what gets us, and case gages don't represent those partially cut lands.

Try the seating depth and lets see how far they have to go before they plunk in the bbl. The 147 looks like it will take a lot before it will match, but the FN one should be pretty close now.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Some chambers have short throats, seems like that is the case with your colt. You could use a finish reamer to clean up the chamber and throat and maybe be able to use the ammo that works in your other guns in your colt,  or just load all your 9mm to fit in the shortest throat / tightest chamber you have which means it will work in the colt and anything else you have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Those case gauges are not an exact replica of your chamber.  Close, but never identical.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#17]
So I dropped from 1.150" OAL to 1.080" before I could get it to drop fully in the chamber.

That seems like quite a bit of difference (-.07"). Does this pass the smell test?

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Have you tried any in another firearm? Otherwise, yes. Looking at those bullets they will need a deeper seat.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, the one's loaded to 1.150" OAL function/fire fine in my Walther Q5 Match & Walther PPQ M2 4".

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those case gauges are not an exact replica of your chamber.  Close, but never identical.
View Quote

This is best observation
The KerPlunk Test is the telling tale.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since you asked for opinions...

It sounds premature to  consider a chamber modification.

Chamber mods are in the realm of graduate level shooting, not for the normal rig or how to solve what may turn out to be a temporary sizing, seating, or bullet problem.

I would advise you to exhaust those three topics on your own as best you can, then seek outside help if you can't figure that out on your own, long before you should custom chamber your bbl.

There are some good reasons to taylor a chamber to a specific situation, but debugging doesn't make me think jumping to cutting the bbl is wise.

I would check your reloads against factory ammo that works in several dimensions and go from there.

Is your case sized properly?

Are you seating properly? (Flare, straight, taper crimp, roll crimp, bulged neck, etc., all part of seating. Seating depth of your bullet?)

Is the bullet profile one you have worked with before? Does it need a different depth or profile?

I would run these issues all down before I would ever consider a chamber modification.
View Quote

^^^This!
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reaming should be the final choice and I doubt that's it.

View Quote
Yeah, I have the same issue with the Dillon gauges.  The 9mm gauge seemed to cull out cases that wouldn't fit in a super tight Glock 19 chamber I had.  It would pass TC bullets that would jam the ogive into my CZ chamber and fail to fully go into battery.  I think they are mainly for cases, not a true chamber checker.  

I trust Sheridan for rifle cases/rounds. I don't think they make pistol gauges.

You can take a black magic marker, cover the bullet, and then try to chamber it.  This will tell you your point of interference.  Dykem works too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks all, I think I got it sorted out. I'll report back after my next range trip. Might be a while as I start on call support tomorrow for a week.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I trust Sheridan for rifle cases/rounds. I don't think they make pistol gauges.
View Quote

Sure they do... Right here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Make a dummy round.

Then start your work up.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter what other loads measure.

If you have rifiling engraved on a bullet or hard extraction, shorten OAL.

BTDT
View Quote

THIS. The ogive is wider on the blue bullets.  They hit the rifling before the more cone shaped other bullets do.  Just make them shorter so they don't engage the rifling. The brass sizing has nothing to do with this imo.

EDIT. I see it worked out.  

FYI the case gauge just checks the brass, not engagement of the bullet with rifling which varies from gun to gun type and manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#28]
You can determine EXACTLY why your ammo won't fit by using a magic marker and following the guide at the link below;

The Plunk Test
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure they do... Right here.
View Quote
Sweet!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Well those rounds functioned super fine. Now load up about 500 of those.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#31]
have the throat reamed and then you could load to the length you want .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top