Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2023 1:50:17 PM EDT
I got a 1905 production 1903 springfield this fall. It had a broken but original stock, that I repaired, and was rebarrelled in 1918. Unfortunately the barrel which I thought would be serviceable, I believe is shot out. I was struggling to make hits on my 200yd target. After cleaning and shooting I dropped a 30 cal bullet in the barrel and it drops in about 1.5"-2" before stopping.

So this leads me to a conundrum. I don't really want to buy a new criterion barrel because I like the vintage aspect of it. But at the same time it's not the original barrel anyway and the repaired stock probably greatly reduces its value for what it is.  Then just the aspect as far as my collection goes, this thing isn't going to see a ton of use. Maybe 50-100 rounds a year.

Are there options to improve the barrel as is or is replacement the only option?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can get on the CMP forums in the bolt action for sale area they sometimes have barrels for sale.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
You could have it counter-bored like was done with many Mosin Nagant rifles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DCounterbore-3073689.jpg
View Quote

This was a thought I had. Wasn't sure the max length that's good for though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
you might try fatter cast bullets. Lyman 312299 or maybe bigger 314299.

very popular mold for milsurps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact Taylor Machine of Pullayup (sp) WA and have him reline the barrel.  Lot cheaper than rebarrel.  He did an 1895 Win in .30-40 for me.  If you don't know it is lined, you won't notice the liner.  Accuracy is as good or better than an 1895 should be.  The liner has been serving for over 10 years and is going strong with about 500 rounds a year.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindless:
Contact Taylor Machine of Pullayup (sp) WA and have him reline the barrel.  Lot cheaper than rebarrel.  He did an 1895 Win in .30-40 for me.  If you don't know it is lined, you won't notice the liner.  Accuracy is as good or better than an 1895 should be.  The liner has been serving for over 10 years and is going strong with about 500 rounds a year.
View Quote

Last time I checked you couldn't reline a high pressure round like the 30-06.  

OP:
Either counter bore or buy a new-to-you 1903 barrel and switch out.  You can still get loose 1903 barrels for a reasonable price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top