Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2023 8:31:47 AM EDT
Does Steyr sell a factory oem 14.5 barrel Aug with a pin and welded FH or brake to bring it to legal length? If so link??
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a small batch of 14.5 barrels made.

They came without any muzzle device at all and it was up to the buyer to get them pin and welded.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TSH77769:

They came without any muzzle device at all and it was up to the buyer to get them pin and welded.
View Quote

Yep. There was a HUGE sticker warning of noncompliance on the packaging. Definitely a steyr thing to do. Whereas when you buy <16” AR barrels there’s no nonsense like that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 80085:

Yep. There was a HUGE sticker warning of noncompliance on the packaging. Definitely a steyr thing to do. Whereas when you buy <16” AR barrels there’s no nonsense like that.
View Quote

Well, that’s America these days, you gotta try to idiot proof every damn thing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:

Well, that’s America these days, you gotta try to idiot proof every damn thing.
View Quote

Reduce liability is the correct reason.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
But why go through all this

There are stupid ideas then there are really stupid ideas, I can't tell which category this goes into

The whole 14.5 pin and weld thing was a marketing gimmick that tactical wannabies fell for to buy yet another thing they really don't need

Stupid on so many levels

"here let me dream up a way to achieve worse ballistics without any advantage I can ever take advantage of"

absolute brilliance  
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:
But why go through all this

There are stupid ideas then there are really stupid ideas, I can't tell which category this goes into

The whole 14.5 pin and weld thing was a marketing gimmick that tactical wannabies fell for to buy yet another thing they really don't need

Stupid on so many levels

"here let me dream up a way to achieve worse ballistics without any advantage I can ever take advantage of"

absolute brilliance  
View Quote

It has one advantage……..it’s shorter
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:
It has one advantage……..it’s shorter
View Quote

Which also happens to be the main advantage to a bullpup in the first place, so taking maximum advantage of the legal limit while only giving up the small difference in 16” vs 14.5” ballistics makes a lot of sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The factory 14.5 AUg barrels also have a redesigned gas port and system and shoot extremely smoothly and well, arguably even better than the 16" so I would call that plus also!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Looks like a regular item now, maybe a hot seller? Steyr has all colors in stock… https://steyr-arms.us/product/14-5-barrel/
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The factory 14.5 AUg barrels also have a redesigned gas port and system and shoot extremely smoothly and well, arguably even better than the 16" so I would call that plus also!
View Quote

Anecdotal reports from users also indicate the 14.5s run suppressed more gently than the OEM 16s. The fact that my 16" runs flawlessly unsuppressed with the gas regulator in the suppressed setting tells a lot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m tempted to pick up a 14.5 and do a P&W on it with my suppressor mount. Only problem is I wouldn’t be able to use Sven’s handguard. So I’d have to buy another AUG if I wanted a 14.5. Damn. Now I want another AUG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top