Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 10:48:40 PM EDT
I’ve been using a TA11 for over a year now, I can get solid hits at 300 and 400 yards, but usually shoot a bit high at 100. Is it because the velocity/barrel length that the BDC isn’t right on? Would I be better off with the nightforce and a dope chart?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't shoot high at 100 as the zeroing instructions are to zero at that distance.

That said, the BDC is in the ballpark at best, I found it is usually off one way or another so learning holds at 3,4,500 becomes important. The NF gives much more versatility as you get a lower mag for close up and more for further out and can dial come  ups or learn mil holds.  I have the 2.5-10 on my 17 shorty and take it out to 6 or 700 yards
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I used two different NF 2.5-10 scopes on mine for awhile, great scopes for the SCAR. I'm using some different ones now but if pressed I wouldn't hesitate to throw a NF back on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless your in a situation to shoot the specific ammo that the BDC was calibrated for, they are always going to be off.  Thats not to say that BDC's are unusable, but just something to be aware of.

Going with a MIL-R/MORE and getting some good data on the rounds you shoot would go along way of being able to put rounds down accurately
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Either work fine. Do you value speed and simplicity or precision? Because that’s what this question boils down to, and only you know the answer to that.

Yes, the BDC is calibrated for a faster MV than a 13” can produce, at least with its specified load. You’ll have to print an inch or two high at 100 for it to line up closer at extended distance. How high depends on how far you want your BDC to line up at. I do this on purpose with about half the ACOGs I own/owned.

My 17 is off being pinned to 14” right now. It’ll wear the same 11 it always has, but I’ll zero it maybe a click or two high at 100 too. No biggie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe if I find a good deal...

i’ve found myself frequently shooting either 0-50 and 200-400 yards and doing way under 100 or half holds on the TA11, I’d probably geab up a NF at the right price and try and recoup some cash selling the TA11.

It kinda bothers me that I hardly ever use the center crosshair usually shooting at the top of the glow post, and I would be more comfortable moving a turret.so I could do so. I’ve made some solid shots and missed a few coyotes by a few inches high but a few inches made all the difference.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
386 yard moving shot, not a clean kill but i’m eating.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I'm really curious what load you're using that gets you 3,000fps out of the 16" SCAR. Do tell, please.

Nice looking gun and hunting area. I've used mine to take a few deer back home in Tennessee and one out here in Colorado. It'll get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm really curious what load you're using that gets you 3,000fps out of the 16" SCAR. Do tell, please.

Nice looking gun and hunting area. I've used mine to take a few deer back home in Tennessee and one out here in Colorado. It'll get the job done.
View Quote
Didn't chrono to verify, it's 13", losing some velocity but the dope is right on, up and down.

It's Hornady Superperformance, I don't have the box anymore but it's GMX I think, I picked up three different boxes from about 2700 up to 3000 fps to try for accuracy, the holes were touching with the first box so I hunted with it.

The damage wasn't quite what I had hoped to see, there was a hole the size of a golfball but i'm used to being able to stick my hand in there, means less time spent tracking if the wind gets you off or the deer is moving when shot.

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Didn't chrono to verify, it's 13", losing some velocity but the dope is right on, up and down.

It's Hornady Superperformance, I don't have the box anymore but it's GMX I think, I picked up three different boxes from about 2700 up to 3000 fps to try for accuracy, the holes were touching with the first box so I hunted with it.

The damage wasn't quite what I had hoped to see, there was a hole the size of a golfball but i'm used to being able to stick my hand in there, means less time spent tracking if the wind gets you off or the deer is moving when shot.

https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/dkscdn/15HRNUSPRFRMNC270AMO
View Quote
Can confirm Hornady Super Performance runs hot in everything I've put it through - .300winmag, SR25, and some .223 SST, GMX, and SST variants. Good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top