Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2019 3:28:11 PM EDT
Thinking about sbr a fal. Your guys thoughts? Crazy ot not?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure to put on an obnoxious muzzle break for maximum fireballs. I fully support your project. It can be like that cut down G3 I see posted around here sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Semi auto flash bang.
I myself do not care for short 762 NATO.
I think they loose too much velocity when they are that short.
You can get 762x39 velocity in a lighter and cheaper platform.
I love the FAL but sbr is too blasty for me.

Whatever you do I hope you have fun with it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it. Load it with 185gr Bergers. Play around smacking steel at the 800-1k line. Laugh at fudds.

Results from Black Collar Arms shooting the 185gr out of a 10.0" bolt gun:

Yup. That's staying supersonic past 900yds from their results. You'll likely lose a bit with a semi, gain a bit with the extra inch, so I'd expect to be supersonic still at >800yds to <1000yds from an 11in.

SBR's can be blasty and loud, and yes - velocity and ballistics are better from a longer barrel. But they're far from unreasonable or incapable.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, crazy. Doing it to a classic FAL, plus spending the $$ for the tax stamp is crazy.

I just don't understand the idea of cutting down .308/7.62x51 rifles below 16".  As that MV data indicates you're down to 30/30 velocities.

If you have the coin to blow go for it, otherwise go buy a 30/30 lever action.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, crazy. Doing it to a classic FAL, plus spending the $$ for the tax stamp is crazy.

I just don't understand the idea of cutting down .308/7.62x51 rifles below 16".  As that MV data indicates you're down to 30/30 velocities.

If you have the coin to blow go for it, otherwise go buy a 30/30 lever action.
View Quote
Because there's more to ballistics than just muzzle velocity. Even if we are shooting for distance, a 30/30 bullet is going to be less precise by far and goes subsonic around 525yds (150gr power point, seems to be the most common), vs the ~900 of the 185gr Berger above.

Even if we step outside of velocity and external ballistics, I'd say that chopping 5" off a barrel and having equal MV to a 16in barrel is pretty great. And it gets even more compact if you have a folding stock. Then you add on the fact that it's semi auto and holds 20rds box magazine allowing spitzer bullets and cheap surplus ammo vs lever action and 6 rounds of flat nose and expensive hunting loads.

For me, I'd say the question should I stead by "why on earth would you get a 16in lever gun when a 10-11in 308 will do the exact same jobs, better?"

Edit: ran them through strelok myself. Both with a 100yd zero.

150gr Power Point - 2390fps / 0.281G1 BC
Attachment Attached File

185gr Juggernaut - 2160fps / 0.560G1 BC
Attachment Attached File

Again, not only does it drop less past 400yds, but it's carrying a significantly higher fps as well. No, I'm not expecting people to try and take either platform to 1k. But when you add on to that just the advantages of having spitzer bullets, more than 2x the mag capacity, much faster reloads, 5" less barrel length to deal with, potentially a folding stock, and cheaper ammo - 308 SBR's make a lot more sense than people give them credit for.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just want something different to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive had an 11'' pistol for a few years now

Im planning on rebarreling it to 16" soon

Its fun as a 11'' but now I just feel if Im going to shoot .308 I want it to make more velocity
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, if you want something different, short barrel FALs are fun guns.

Contrary to popular opinion on this site, not everything in life has to have a utilitarian-centric purpose in order to be worth doing.  Its ok to build a gun just for the fucking hell of it and because it makes you smile with you pull the trigger.

If you want a SBR FAL go for it.  There are plenty of inexpensive FAL options out there to cut down and its not like a $200 NFA tax stamp is a break the bank financial proposition for most folks circa 2019.   If you need a utilitarian 308 rifle with great ballistics and good pricetag pick up a Ruger american bolt action (or equivalent) to assuage any guilt you feel for cutting down a FAL.

Just in case you need some inspiration....  as I am a rifle caliber/short barrel advocate.

Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 13” DSA in NFA jail. I’ve been kicking around getting one of the 8.25” pistols and SBR’ing it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ive had an 11'' pistol for a few years now

Im planning on rebarreling it to 16" soon

Its fun as a 11'' but now I just feel if Im going to shoot .308 I want it to make more velocity
View Quote
This progression is not at all uncommon.

You are wise(er).
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This progression is not at all uncommon.

You are wise(er).
View Quote
Very soon

All my Dillon parts arrived today to be able to turn out 762 in mass.

Hopefully in a few weeks Ill get a order in on a new front end.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
you should do it. Then get one in 16" too, because it's the ARFCOM way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I still kick myself for not buying a presample FA FAL when I was a SOT and doing an OSW.  If you want one, go for it!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 13" suppressed SBR. Went the DSA route and couldn't be happier.

That said I do need to finish modding anothing gas plug. It's still quite harsh to shoot, but there's really not much like it out there and it's WELL WORTH IT.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a 12.5" 308 CMMG MK3. I was not prepared for the level of loudness out of this thing. I absolutely LOVE flames and bang. I think I may have overdone it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have owned 21", 18", 16"and 13-1/2" FALs over the years and I still have an 18" full stocked Congo, a 16" Carbine and a 13-1/2" Para.  

By far the one that I use the most is the 13-1/2" Para.  It is the handiest and sleekest looking of the bunch and with only an Aimpoint T-1 on it, whether because of balance or actual weight, it handles better than my M4 with all of the bells and whistles.  It always brings compliments at the range.

The Para and Carbine are equipped with Bi-lock FHs so that I can mount my Gemtec HVT on them.  With subsonic ammo and the gas regulator turned to the "G" setting they are very quiet.  My 16" is set up with a MagPul PRS2 stock, Primary Arms 1-6x w/ACSS and Harris bipod for more precise work.

The Congo I left "as is" because it is the most classic looking to me ( think "Wild Geese" the movie ).

YMMV
The MULE

ETA: I also have a select fire 13 inch G-3k that has a brake on it to help with muzzle flip on FA and THAT is LOUD.  There is really no need for a brake on it in semi.  My select fire 13 inch G-33k does fine without one as well.  HTH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top