Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2018 3:08:04 PM EDT
Hey, gents. I'm looking for an 11.5" barrel for an upcoming SBR project I am working on. I have been looking at a variety of 11.5" barrels, but haven't found one with a gas port suitable for an SBR that'll be suppressed from time to time.

I'm ideally looking for around 0.070". Most I have found seem to be 0.075" or larger. Any suggestions on some barrels I should be looking at?

Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I see no reason you should be shopping for gas port size if you’re not running it suppressed all the time.  Much better bet to buy whichever barrel you like and add an adjustable gas block like an SLR so you can tune the gas as you take the can on and off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
for an 11.5" maybe look at the sionics reduced gas port barrel , the 11.5" colt fbi barrel's have a ~.70 gas port also if you don't mind the profile.

i have a centurion arms 12.5" barrel cut down to 11.5" , it has ~.65 gas port and has run flawless with and without a can with good ammo.

sounds like an interesting project
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Sionics reduced gas port 11.5 barrel, or a Colt heavy 11.5 FBI barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt 11.5 FBI barrel like others have mentioned otherwise I like the Nordic components barrel except it has the .080" gas port...  Its a heavier profile barrel like the 11.5 FBI but it is QPQ'd (Melonite/Nitriding) instead of chrome lined along with using machine gun barrel steel, 4150 Mil-B-11595E steel.  I think this is the best alternative.  I'm not a fan of lightweight profile barrels for short applications, I like them stiff and short for cans!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: I like them stiff and short for cans!
View Quote
If more women thought this way, I might get dates more often

I have a Colt FBI 11.5 barrel sitting on my desk ready to go, just waiting on the Larue stealth 2.0 upper I ordered back at the end of Nov. Good thing the NFA game breeds patience.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody dealt with Rosco Manufacturing barrels? I'm also looking at putting together a 11.5" upper for when my SRD556-QD gets approved. I emailed them and asked for gas port sizes, specifically for their 10.5" and 11.5" barrels. Below is the response I got from their Director of Sales & Marketing:

"<font face="Calibri">I hope that this e-mail finds you doing well and thank you for reaching out to us. The port size for our Bloodline barrels have been sized according to the caliber and length of each barrel. The goal is to take dwell times, reliability, and a long service life into account. We have also taken the extra effort to make sure that our barrels perform well under punishing conditions both suppressed and un-suppressed. </font>"

That doesn't answer my question, bud.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My PSA 11.5 runs like a top with and without my suppressor.  I think you're over thinking it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sionics reduced gas port 11.5 barrel, or a Colt heavy 11.5 FBI barrel.
View Quote
Sionics RGP 11.5" is the one to get. I have one and it shoots great. It has a 0.070" gas port. http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/5/61-5-chrome-lined-stripped.html

It runs everything without a suppressor. Suppressed it is the softest AR I have owned. Running it with a Sandman-S, Bootleg adjustable carrier, and Vltor A5H3 buffer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I see no reason you should be shopping for gas port size if you’re not running it suppressed all the time.  Much better bet to buy whichever barrel you like and add an adjustable gas block like an SLR so you can tune the gas as you take the can on and off.
View Quote
This .... and depending on how much you shoot that gas port will erode and open up over time but with the adjustable block just keep adjusting it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered Faxon's 11.5 gunner midlength?

Designed for use with a suppressor and an adjustable  gas block.

I built  my pistol with one and an SLR gas block...runs great so far but a suppressor has not been in the cards for me as of yet, so I can't confirm that aspect other than to refer you to Faxon's reviews
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you considered Faxon's 11.5 gunner midlength?

Designed for use with a suppressor and an adjustable  gas block.

I built  my pistol with one and an SLR gas block...runs great so far but a suppressor has not been in the cards for me as of yet, so I can't confirm that aspect other than to refer you to Faxon's reviews
View Quote
That is what I built my pistol on, still waiting on a stamp so I haven't run it suppressed yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top