Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2018 10:49:09 AM EDT
I just purchased a Dead Air 22 Mask supressor. I have a 10 year old Ruger 1022 that I would like to put a threaded stainless 16" heavy barrel on.  Recommend me something with good accuracy and under $225.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Following. I'm in the same boat. Will probably replace the stock as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Kidd all day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kidd all day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I built my 10/22 for the STC before Kidd was popular... I used a Clark Fluted... will shoot under 1" at 100yd with a barrel tuner and 6-24 x44 Tasco AO 1/8min dot...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 20" stainless non threaded and a 16.5" stainless threaded and both of them have caused me to be a Kidd believer.

Receiver, bolt, barrel, trigger, everything Kidd.

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just received a Kidd 16 inch fluted heavy barrel, haven't installed it yet, but must say it's jewel-like finish says quality.

I'll have it on the rifle, a standard Ruger 10-22 Target model, in a day or so.  Will evaluate it then.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have this barrel (threaded option) and it’s an absolute tack driver. Found mine for $80 shipped

ER Shaw.aspx
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been very happy with my 16" Green Mountain fluted and threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I second Kidd components.

Like the original poster,  I also run a Mask out front and wanted a new barrel for it. When I tell folks there isn't much original factory Ruger left in mine now I really mean that.  I opted for the KIDD ultra lightweight barrel.   Pleased with the end result and couldn't be happier.  If I'm ever inclined to build up another 10/22 project I'll use KIdd components again.

If the original poster hasn't upgraded his barrel yet consider some other parts if you can swing it.  While the guns already torn apart its a great time to attack anything else. Just upgrading the trigger on mine would have been worth doing that alone.  I hated the factory one. Good luck with your build and them not taking too long getting your stamp for the Mask to you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like I will probably go with the kidd barrel. Little more than I was hoping to spend but I have time while I wait for my stamp. I checked out a magpul stock at a local shop and will be getting one of those also. Some decent glass and I will be good for now. I'm hoping to sbr one more ar15 lower and purchase a Dead Air sandman s by the end of the year. That will be the end of the 2018 gun budget.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
As you can see in the photo sitting next to my 10/22 is a Sandman K.  I feel ya.  We are in similar boats. I blew all my 2018 gun budget basically in Jan of this year lol.  Best of luck with your projects.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As you can see in the photo sitting next to my 10/22 is a Sandman K.  I feel ya.  We are in similar boats. I blew all my 2018 gun budget basically in Jan of this year lol.  Best of luck with your projects.
View Quote
I see it! Yeah last year I escaped from communist NY and landed in the great free state of Pennsylvania.  I am going to thoroughly enjoy my new freedom!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Good deal.  Your going to like the Mask.  Its a good .22 suppressor.  The Sandman S is a good choice for an all around 30 cal can. The K is louder.  Sometimes I wish I had spent the additional coin for the S.  Oh well. Have fun with your new found freedom in the keystone state.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
You won’t regret going with kidd. If you get a kidd barrel, get the kidd extractor when you order the barrel. My stock ruger extractor wouldn’t reliably extract an unfired round. It had no problem extracting a fired round, but the match chamber held onto the round better than the extractor. With the kidd extractor I haven’t had a single issue. My 16.5” kidd lightweight is a tack driver.  I tried about 20 different kinds of ammunition to get the best accuracy for the money. I haven’t even tried any great match ammo. Mine likes cci sv good enough for me 1/2” groups at 50 yards. Some bulk packs shot surprisingly good, but I am not shooting supersonic ammo anymore. If I want noise I will grab my suppressed .17hmr or .223.

The magpul stock is good imo. I like mine for the most part. I got it so it will fit me or my kids. Otherwise I would have went with something more “solid”. I like that it can use adjustable comb and lop pieces. It easily will accommodate anyone and any optic height within reason. It will flex a little, but my kidd lightweight has no clearance issues.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Kidd  or Feddersen.

Kidd makes some LW barrels too!

Feddersen's are honed and a little cheaper than Kidd (Uses lothar walther blanks) but do a search over on RFC and you will see that both produce some very fine barrels with a nod to Kidd being in the game longer and more reviews with guys with his barrels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
There are so many options out there for 10/22 barrels.  The only one I can speak of from experience is from Hi-desertdog, shoots very well and has threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Instead of a heavy barrel, I recommend a carbon fiber tension barrel.  Same or better accuracy without the weight.  I started with a 20 inch stainless bull barrel.  Too heavy.  Never shot it after the first time.  Recently put a VQ light weight CF on it.  Now it gets shot.   A lot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Instead of a heavy barrel, I recommend a carbon fiber tension barrel.  Same or better accuracy without the weight.  I started with a 20 inch stainless bull barrel.  Too heavy.  Never shot it after the first time.  Recently put a VQ light weight CF on it.  Now it gets shot.   A lot.
View Quote
Do you shoot it suppressed? How does it handle the weight of the suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I do not.  But plan to get a supressor.  The VQ CF lightweight I purchased is threaded for a suppressor.  I will report back if I run into any issues. Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a green mountain and e.r. Shaw and both are excellent and reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a green mountain and e.r. Shaw and both are excellent and reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I vote Kidd but like my Clark barrels too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no idea who made the barrel on this 10/22.   There's a small flat about 1/2 up the bottom of the barrel dated "1991".
It appears to be a sleeved, 25", centerfire rifle barrel.
Glass bedded action. Factory trigger that some talented gunsmith did a fantastic job of lightening.

I've taken it to the range just once, so far, and fired it only at 50yds.  It will put 10rnds. of Remington brand Walmart bulk ammo in the same hole- honestly.   The 10rnd. groups it shoots could be covered completely by the small eraser at the end of the pencil.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:35:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I second Kidd components.

https://i.imgur.com/JAEtbU2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JftPxdvl.jpg

Like the original poster,  I also run a Mask out front and wanted a new barrel for it. When I tell folks there isn't much original factory Ruger left in mine now I really mean that.  I opted for the KIDD ultra lightweight barrel.   Pleased with the end result and couldn't be happier.  If I'm ever inclined to build up another 10/22 project I'll use KIdd components again.

If the original poster hasn't upgraded his barrel yet consider some other parts if you can swing it.  While the guns already torn apart its a great time to attack anything else. Just upgrading the trigger on mine would have been worth doing that alone.  I hated the factory one. Good luck with your build and them not taking too long getting your stamp for the Mask to you.
View Quote
Is that a Nikon rimfire scope?  How do you like it?  I’m considering a Nikon rimfire 4-12x for a 10/22 Target.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kidd all day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I built my 10/22 for the STC before Kidd was popular... I used a Clark Fluted... will shoot under 1" at 100yd with a barrel tuner and 6-24 x44 Tasco AO 1/8min dot...
View Quote
My Clark mid weight magnum barrels are stellar shooters as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you get your rifle put together OP?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you get your rifle put together OP?
View Quote
Well I bought the stock. Still waiting on the stamp for the dead air mask. I ended up buying an m11 9 SMG with lage upper and found a 22 conversion for that also. So the 1022 is gonna be on the back burner for a little while. The m11 wasn't planned but it was a local sale at a fair price. After a week or so of debating I went for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I got a keystone state armory threaded bull barrel from Ebay and its amazing. Mine is blued though, think it was about 150
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had Ruger hammer forged, Green Mountain heavy, Volquartsen, Shilen and Kidd 1022 bbls. Numerous 10/22,77/22 rigs.
That said I would go with Kidd again. I don't like full heavies, went with the taper, very pleased.
Attachment Attached File

Also have a MASK HD, Spectre II and Outback IID. Mask and Spectre are awesome, Outback II has only 150rd cleaning cycle Shoots good though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top